Houseplant Collection for 2010 - What are you growing?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

5a and 5b - Both again are hypoestes. The darker one is red and green and the other one is white.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

#6 - last but not least... and she told me the name but my brain has been tenderized by the cold.. caryputsis or some dang thing??? dont know anyway it is very pretty and has pink flowers

Mount Vernon, OH

Number 3 is a purple passion plant. :o)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

tishrh, I beleive you are right! I think it also goes uder the name of velvet plant.... gynura auraniatica more specific...just also found it in one of my books! The name I was thinking was wrong...but I do have another purple house plant.. its called a purple heart wnadering Jew no where like this one. Shown below.

Same book said the #2 hoya is hoya carinosa... but no specific name.... Did show a like pix of it. And same with the #1 hoya.. Hoya carinosa - "tri-colored'....

The hypoestes came to be hypoestes sanguinolenta

Thanks for your input!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Nice little plants, isn't there something about getting a new plant that just brightens your day?
Ric and I spent yesterday at LongWood gardens. Boy talk about brighting your day. The Conservatories are just so beautiful. I'll post a link to the pictures for you all to enjoy when we them posted.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Now, THAT is exquisite! Any other pictures from your Long Wood sojourn?
Kevin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yes, we have quite a few and Ric and I were working on them this morning. I will definitely post more pics.
Funny we were just talking about Christmas Cactus and I only have one and it is white. I need a few more of different colors. This morning I received an offer of several cuttings of different colors, peach and yellow not sure what else but I am really looking forward to them. They are comming from the same person that I got my violets from, he grows such lovely plants.
I'm sure that I can have one like this in just a few months from my cuttings. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Looking at your pictures, I think I could use a conservatory. Anyone else having the same thought?

In the meantime, my January to-do list is up. The chores, of course, are mostly devoted to houseplants.

Kevin
www.agardenforthehouse.com

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by wintergardener
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Kevin--Very pretty combo--and I love that plantstand!
BLOSSOMBUDDY--Plant #6 looks like it could be a gesneriad--which are african violet relatives. I have one wit similar leaves--I post a pic--soon as I take one--LOL!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Here it is--Gloxinella Lindeniana--in serious need of pinching...

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Nope--not the same--but they could be cousins...another view.

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Phoebe, I will have to take a better photo of it when it has more blooms so you can see the flower... that pix distorts it and when it has blossoms they are a lavender pink and tubular about an inch long, not quite and very narrow.... It lost the blooms on the way home... she told me what it was and my brain is still froze there but I do not recall that it was a gesnariad. Here I thought I would remember! LOL! All I can remember it had an "isis" on the end maybe!? Carp.. something isis ->> is what I am flirting with... oY! Its quite small in a 2 inch pot and the leaves almost remind me of an episcia, but they are not that big! NOr are they that thick! Its rather dainty actualy! The leaves are almost the size of my little finger nail.

It almost struck me as a fuchsia but then its too small and the flower is not right.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Boy that sure is close looking, but your leaves are thicker looking! Heres a better pix of it.. the flower has started to curl back, but you can get a better idea on the size I was smittened with the thing when I saw it. I think I might just have to get a few more! She said it would make a nice basket plant. Its in a larger pot now too... My leaves are thin and they are not fuzzy

(Zone 1)

Blossombuddy: Great little plants you found this time of year and a great price! Even at Wal-Mart anymore the little 2" pots are $2.99 or higher! your new babies look very healthy.

#1 Hoya carnosa Rubra a/k/a Krimson Princess: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2564/

#2 Hoya carnosa Tricolor a/k/a Krimson Queen: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57703/

#3 Gynura aurantiaca "Purple Velvet" Plant: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2570/

#4 & #5 Hypoestes phyllostachya "Polka Dot" (a few listed in Plant Files): http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Hypoestes&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

#6 Looks a bit like Graptophyllum pictum "Caricature Plant": http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2568/ but I'm not convinced it's that.

HollyAnn: Wow, I'd love to see more photo's of Longwood Gardens! Looks like an amazing place to visit! I wish we had some place like that nearby ... I'd probably spend a lot of time there!

wintergardener: Love that Geranium in your grouping. Cute Begonia's and impatiens also!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Plantladylin thank you so much for finding the links! Im not convinced on that last one yet either!

I think you have one and two reversed? The first one I listed is the tri color and the second one is only green and white. The name is baffleing on my number 2

Let me look at those again!

-------------

wintergardener, yep, those are nice geraniums... hmmm something to think about for planting this spring! Did you start yours by seed or a cutting?

LOL! I just did some more impatien cuttings.. I cannot beleive I am actaully getting the things to start in my livingroom! I had trouble last summer doing them in the greenhouse! Guess I better stick to a good thing! LOL! Im also working on doing some more coleus cuttings

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Plantladylin, I think you have the winner in that Caryopteris! She did say it started with a c! And I did recall the "is" at the end so that must be it!

Now we just need to straighten out those 2 hoyas and thats good enough. Least I can call them something now other than a NOID!

Thanks again!

(Zone 1)

I think #1 is H. carnosa Rubra: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/85702/ which has leaves with green edges and cream/white interior

whereas #2 H. carnosa Tricolor: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/29181/ is the reverse with white leaf edges and the green in the center.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

I thought your leaves were fuzzy--but your last pic shows they are not. My plant is also in a 2" pot, just looks bigger cause I took the pic on the macro setting. also, the tubular bloom is gessie-like. Any way you can call the vendor while they still might remember you? I'm dying to know what this is!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well that Caryopteris! was close.. but I think no cigar! After looking at it again.. nope I am not convinced yet but maybe yet something similiar!

This one is still a NOID!

And that link you had to hoya #1 was way off..

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

It looks so familiar--Have you thought about posting this pic on the AV forum? Bet someone there will know.

(Zone 1)

That is such a gorgeous plant! And, I'm beginning to wonder along with phoebesviolets if it could indeed be a Gesneriad! How about Corytoplectus? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=images+of+corytoplectus+plants&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=T2ZCS4KKDtSztge55_mQCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBIQsAQwAA

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/143851/

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Blossom's plant does have the markings of Corytoplectus. Betcha that's it.

(Zone 1)

I've never seen one for sale anywhere, so that is a great find if it is Corytoplectus!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The hoyas are a tough call too. OY! I think my eyes are crossed trying to compare them.

Yeah on that Car-a whats- is....., I will have to go back next week and hope they still have it then write it down for on the cute little purple flowered one. Gads I wish they would tag those plants there, but they are soooo nice and you dont care when you get them until you get home! They put a huge pile of them out and put one sign calling them all houseplants at $1.99 and thats as far as it goes!

Im stumped!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/143851/

BINGO!!

Corytoplectus!

Dare I post my pix there???

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Yup!

(Zone 1)

Definitely!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

dun did it!!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

How bout yer pic?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

posted 2... they take a day or 2 to process =^}

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I am hugely impressed. I can't keep track of my plant names even when I have them to start with. LOL
Here is a link to the pics Ric took at Longwood Gardens.
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=869389897211:157013260&cm_mmc=site_email-_-new_site_share-_-core-_-View_photos_button

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I take a lot of pix and do a lot of journaling!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow--I'm speechless! Thanks so much for posting these wonderful pics! I think I would have had a hard time leaving if I had been there--spotted lots of hiding places-LOL! Who are the peoples? Your little girls? Any of them you? The sculptures, stonework, and the flower carpet leading to the Christmas tree were particularly beautiful. BTW...I have trouble keeping track of my violets' names too! I tracked down the names of 2 violets I had lost the ID's to just this weekend. Luckliy the growers who sold them to me last summer keep better records than I do! I really have to work on that!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 11:33 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

None of the children are mine, DH Ric took all the pics and that area is the children's garden so he included them as they were really enjoying the garden. The shot with the five women are us DG friends from the Mid-Atlantic Forum. We had 6 altogether with Ric. Would have had a few more except for illness. Front to back is Catbird423, HollyAnn (me), Aspenhill,Critterologist and Sallyg.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pheobe, I spent the better part of the two last years taking pix and posting them. I started posting on my trade list and the thing is monsterous! I did not realize we had so many plants. My main goal was to just to try to get the bulk listed which I did. I would go on the larger listers lists and put things to my have and want list.. that took the least time to get the monsters listed.. then now I am filling in the blanks. Dave was so kind to even put a search engine on my tradelist when it got to big for me to handle. Unfortunately I cannot keep up with all my trades availabilities so a lot of them are not always available and I check that upon request. I only trade at certain times of the year too and duh, I need time to "garden"! It takes me 4 days to just water my house plants! LOL! Then like a glutton for punishment what do I do I get more. I will be soooo glad when I can kick them outside.

Anyway, I should have posted them all to a journal on Daves but I had no clue as to how many I would be listing.. and besides that the journal system went over my head so as it turned out it was easier to just keep them all on the trade lists so now I am working on updates.

. I try like heQQ to keep the new stuff I get up to date first.. its the older plants I have issues with.. what died, what needs replacing what part of the garden has gone disaster and what part is working, none etc!

I had to force myself to get organized. If you go to my threads and view the GPS series I have going you will come to a part where I came up with how to calender stuff.

Things get a wee bit on the odd side in some conversations, but I have a few friends here that like to tease so you have to put up with thme! LOL!
Anyway... thank you all so much for your help in ID's! You are all wonderful!

I am a full time gardener/rancher/wife (not necessarily in that order!).. I think I do this stuff in my sleep! And some days it reallly looks like it! LOL!
I think my mainstay of plants is daylilies, only because they do best here in my flood plain and soil, but I do try to do variety! Admittedly an understatement! I have been trading, buying and occassionally selling plants for many years..., but am by no means an expert. There is just too much to learn!

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Holly -Longwood photo gallery is totally cool. Thanks for sharing!
Kevin

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I took a few pics while up at Mom's. She doesn't have a lot but they are pretty. I'll start with her violets.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I can't remember when she got this CC but I do remember that it was just a small thing with a pink CC and a white CC planted together in the same pot. Somewhere between then and now the pink one must have died back because it only flowers white now. It is just about finished blooming but I thought you would like to see how large it is.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.