Houseplant Collection for 2010 - What are you growing?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

It looks familiar, but I can't nail it--hmmmm.....

zone 6a, KY

Well, I have rubber frogs and lizards in my planters, does that count?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hint hint!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049392/

or

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055825/#new

Oh man, frogs!!.....I love frogs! Snakes on the other hand.. nah-uh!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953765/

Be a frog census going on there!

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

Here goes: I'm just getting started.... Common Names because that is what I best remember.

Jade Pothos
5 Golden Pothos
Satin Potho
Philo Brasil
2 Velvet Leaf Philo
2 Christmas Cactus
Song of India
Coleus
Rubber Plant
Aloe
Hens & Chicks
Snow Plant
Red Dragon Plant
Texas Daisies
Jade
Ponytail Palm
Anthurium
2 Polka Dot Plants
Confederate Jasmine
Begonia
Arrowhead Plant
Air Plant
Sweet Potato Vine "Blackie"
2 Spider Plants - Variegated
Foxtail Fern
Aluminum Plant
A Fern of some sort. I think I was told its called Jacobs ladder.. idk
2 Dieffenbachia
2 Draceana (dragon Tree)
2 Scheffelera Arbricola (one variegated and one not)
1 Large Leaf Scheff
Wandering Jew
Cyclamen
Peperomia
and a few others I don't know the name of....

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 12:10 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice collection there daisylovn! I cant do aloe to save my sou!! And that is sposed to be one of the easiest ones!.. Yet, I can do impatiens in the house.. go figure! I think its my water.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Slither! I love it! Was just mentioning how much I like gourds in another thread recently--especially the ones that look like swans.
Great plant collection Daisy!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

He's hung up thar on the plant stand to dry out. I hope it will. Cant wait to maybe paint him!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Heres my other rack...

Bottom shelf is baby sunroses

Middle has impatiens, dianthus, coleus, alysumn, chocolate mint, petunia, the houseplants I got above

Top shelf... mostly coleus, a few impatiens, snapdragon

My peppers are in another room and I have also some pothos, mums, Christmas cactus, paperwhite.

Im trying to figure out how im gonna start seed! Ooooooh 6'2">>> room addition pleeeez! LOL I can heyar him saying, Yeah right babe.. just lemme twitch my nose and print some money! Or was he muttering... not on yer life babe? Owell, sounded the same! LOL!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Wow! Remind him how much $$$ you save not re-buying the same plants every spring? Worth a try-LOL!

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well, that is if we can convince him without showing him the electric bill and I propagate stuff to the max ASAP to make up for that! Im running two stands with 3 lights on each, a kitchen light and two more fixtures in the laundry room on the peppers!

Nice stand there too! WOW! watcha got?

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Mostly African Violets. Just turn off the fridge--electric bill will be fine! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

oh yeah... then theres the 24/7 running of a 500 gallon water trough heater, three fridges.. well, we quit doing TV 2 years ago.. dont miss that...but then theres the PC...ugh..
and no, Im not running any mega Christmas lites just one strand!.. I keep trying to get this redneck pine to grow... every year I treat it like a poinsetta yano.. put it in the closet for months and months, yank it out.. put lites on it and nuthin... go figure! LOL!. just call me scrooooooge! I think I keep forgetting to water it, maybe thats the issue? LOL! 20 years and nuthin.. sheesh!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Charlie Brown's tree? LOL--It's cute! I live alone and would go nuts w/o my TV--radio/cd player--and now, the computer, which is relatively new. That's a lot of water and fridges you've got going there! I'm guessing you don't live in my state--We have the highest electric rates in the country, I believe.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, we got the highest crime rate in the governers house.. so I dont know.. electric bills, or that.. what a trade! I guess thats sumthin to be proud of though.. most Governors in jail..just shows someone is cleaning up the trash government.. slow but sure...not that it does much for the electric bills though... I can see the bumperstinkers now.. Run fer Governor.. retire with free tv, meals and board on the State. Such adeal....seems they get that no matter what...Who needs a pension when yer living in the pen...!

Well, I think I will take your advise.. shut a fridge down.. that just might help a get a few more plants on board!

Now what should we sow? Right now the only thing Im making is sunrose cuttings...the coleus does not do well in the house now for cuttings and it will be January 15th or so when I start forcing trees.

I tried violets once.... that was as far as it got after I kilt bunch at once. I think its just something in the water... Im a bonifide cereal killer when it comes to violets...I cried for days!!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

You are too funny!!! Our last Governor landed in jail too. And cereal killers can grow violets, just stay away from the Cheerios--groan! What is a sunrose?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!! Only one in your state?? LOL!! WOOOOOW! Well, thats a start! LOL! Enough of that now, its more than I can handle!!

Baby sunroses.. they are a sedum. I have two kinds now - one is green with a red bloom and the other is a varigater with I think a red bloom as well, I dont know yet, I just got it. They so far are making fine house plants. I dont think these would survive outdoors in my zone. I just started with them this past spring.

Ok, note to self, do not feed Cheerios to violets! LOL! Got it! Maybe I can be reformed. But I warn you there has to be something in my water.. and to which I dont think that can be reformed.

Here is the varigated one....looks like one of those chocolate mint thingees!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

And the other...

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Blossom & Phoebe: What beautiful light-gardens! Blossom, do you have one lamp with two tubes or a pair of double-tube lamps above each shelf? (I can't tell from the photo.)

And Phoebe, where did you find that cart? Really splendid. Your lamps look unusual. What are they?

Kevin

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Double tube florescents.. natural light not grow lights. I dont see much difference in using the grow lite versus the regular except the cost for the grow lites are much higher. Cant say there would be much of a difference in the electric to run them.. if it is then thats peabuts.. The florescents have lasted many many years.

The hub made the stands for me, they are welded conduit and on wheels. We use a cheap ply board for the shelve. It will wharp a little but thats ok so the water does not escape to the floor! And replaceable, but have not replaced any for well over 10 years and since he built them. Gonna have him make me more. That he can do. be cheaper than a room addition! LOL! Yeah right as soon as I twitch my nose and print the money for the oyx/ace and material!

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

Blossom, I use cool white tubes. Some years ago, research conducted by the University of Toronto (or was it Ottowa?) found that cool white tubes performed just as well -- and possibly even better -- than expensive "agricultural" tubes.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2009 12:29 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yup, cool whites here.. man my indoor tubes are 10 plus years and only a few have had to be replaced!

I have had to replace a couple balasts though, but those were on units outdoors in a shed. Seems the cold will get them and the bulbs.

Been trying them squirrely twisted florecents like in lamps.. dont like them. too hard on the eyes. Well mine anyway. I dont like "active" light.

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

BTW, my Thunbergia Grandiflora started blooming yesterday! You can see it here: www.agardenforthehouse.com. Leave a comment there, if you wish!

zone 6a, KY

Thanks wintergardener. That was really pretty and I like how you give care instructions with your articles :). Now I want another plant. Luckily, it would be really hard to find around here so I'll have to wait, lol.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

phoebe... was pricing them shelves... holy catfish! Close to a grand for those "pro" shelves Between $700 to $950@. and thats not including any shipping...

The ones my hub makes run us around $50-$75 mol in material.. his labor is a love donation... ours are bigger and stronger.... hmmm maybe we are in the wrong business. They might not be as purdy, but they will live longer!!! indooor outdoor double as a plant stand outside, just take off the lightfixtures and put them stand in the rain! LOL!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Which shelves? The one in my pic was @$25.00 at Christmas Tree Shops. If I had more space, I live in a room, I'd buy the shelves at Costco and attach shop lights--cool white, but would prolly shoot for t-8's--cheaper to run and last longer. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10006799&search=shelves&Mo=9&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=4000364&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=shelves&Ntt=shelves&No=6&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&s=1&topnav=&Nty=1&s=1

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Harris Seed catalog carries a what they think , er is called a heavy duty germination stand...
granted their shelves are adjustable, but unbeilevable the high price. Wow! INdoor use only though....

You got a bargain than too!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I just got done visiting all your lovely pictures. What beautiful plants you all have.
Phoebe, I haven't done extremely well with violets. I have had some short time success over the years. Right now I have two of them that I received in May at a DG Swap from Doc. He grew them from leaves and I haven't killed them yet. They even bloomed for me. Yeah!
Blossom, I have several plants that you have named, Crotan, Rabbits Foot Fern, Couple of Ivies, my hoya recently bloomed. I have no idea what the ID on it is I grabbed it from a raffle table. I love the Ice Plant I had one a couple of years ago and hopefully I will get another.
Wintergardener, I haven't had time to check out your links but your windows are lovely, I have a very nice looking kalanchoe I must check out your article. I'll try to post a few pics later and come up with some semblance of a list.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Most of my plants are squished into an upstairs room for the holidays so I will have some problems getting good pics. Here are pics taken several months ago of my Violets.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

And the olther.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The Orchids are still down stairs. None of them are blooming now but several are showing signs of new flower stalks so I should have some flowers next month. Here are a couple of pics from earlier this summer when they were blooming.
This one is Sherry Baby and the smell is just out of this world. It is one of the orchids that is showing green flower stalks.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Kevin--I clicked on the link you posted above and got a Blogger status report instead of your Blog. Anyone else have a problem?

HollyAnn--Pretty violets! Did Doc happen to send their names with them? Are they still looking happy in those pots in the pic? As a rule, violets prefer squat(shallow) plastic pots, 1/3 the size of the diameter of the plant. They are happiest when rootbound. But if they are still doing well, don't worry about it for now. It's so hard to tell what's going on from a pic! LOL!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Love Sherry Baby! I have mostly phals and paphs. I have a $3.99 HD phal I bought earlier this year--one of those 'ice cube orchids' that had finished blooming, so I did not know what it was--It bloomed today! It is pink! I didn't have time to get a pic--maybe tomorrow. BTW HollyAnn--if you can get that orchid to bloom, you can surely grow AV's!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is another pic taken earlier when all were blooming two of these re-bloomed for me and I have hopes that they will again.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Phoebe, They are still in the pots that Doc gave me. I use to make violet pots, those two piece type that you fill with water. A couple of years ago I tried growing them in a terrarium and they were doing very well, till we traveled and my son watered them every time he watered the other plants. When we got home they were floating. I'm sorry to say that I don't know the names for my violets I'm sure I could get them from Doc. Both are very pretty.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Yes, they are!
I always wanted one of those purple spotty phals--very pretty window ^_^

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

HollyAnnS - no thats not a rabbits foot fern, but I sure would like on of those one day! I dont know what kind mine is!

YOur plants are lovely!

zone 6a, KY

phoebes: I just typed in www.agardenforthehouse.com and you get to see his latest posts :)...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Several of mine came from HD or Lowe's on the cheap side the others came from my Hobby Greenhouse Assoc raffle table. We had some computer problems a couple of months ago and most of my pictures haven't been downloaded back into the computer. I was lucky to have those. I have a passive solar home 18ft of floor to ceiling glass. I tend to have large plants in floor pots. Maybe that is why I don't do as well with the violets in the smaller pots.

Valatie, NY(Zone 5a)

3js: You must have the magic touch! Your link to my site actually works!

Now, has anyone come across the good, old-fashioned shop-lights? These featured 12-inch-wide reflecting wings, to FULLY illuminate a 12- by 48-inch growing space. I have three such lamps in my study, and love them. But try finding the lamps today!

The newer lamps, though certainly affordable, are only 6- by 48-inches, with virtually no reflective device. Hence, to light a 12- by 48-inch shelf, one needs to buy a pair of these lamps. Arrrrghhh!

This message was edited Dec 18, 2009 10:22 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats what we put on our stands is the shop lights. We chain them so you can raise and lower them or take them off completely like when you use the stand outdoors. The shelves though are not adjustable.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.