CLOSED: '09 Fall Frenzy Swap #11

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Howdy one and all wigglers and oinkers!
A nice new thread to squeel and oink on!

We came from here:

Hello fellow piggies! A nice new thread to squeel and oink on!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1058013/

The tiem for oinking wil be ending in a coupel of weeks and as we are enterign the Christmas Holidays some folsk may have plans and need ot get their package s in before the 20th.

Here's what ya do:

Remebr the oinkign part of the swap close s on the 15th and seed are due to me bu the 20th , please. Any questiosn or problems, let me know or ask a regular piggy. They got the porcess down pat. : )

WHAT YOU WILL SEND ME:

1. Your seeds. added: Since I need to send back as many packs as people send in, I need some help counting. LOL! On the baggies that are tagged for certain people, I would like the number of packs you've enclosed for that person written on the slip of paper with their name so that I don't have to go rooting through to count them.

When sending your seed to me whether it be in a bubbler or a box. I highly recommend you put a confirmation sticker on your package. Confirmation stickers cost 80 cent. With cutbacks and such in the postal service it is best to be on the safe side, then to have your seeds lost in the mail. So far we have been lucky and all package s have arrived. But there can always be a first time. Last year we did have one that looked like an elephant sat on it and another one that looked like somebody put their fists through the box several times, but all seed were accounted for. Until I have received your seeds, those you asked for will not be sent out, unless you can provide me with a confirmation number. Then when they do eventually arrive, I can just mail them individually to the participants.

2. Return address label (or piece of paper I can tape) to use on bubble mailer/box you send to me. Please. Make sure your addie s are nice and clear for me to read. : )

3. Postage to return your mailer to you. : Due to the sheer volume, these envelopes or boxes will need to be sent back to you with delivery confirmations. This is nonnegotiable, so make sure in your postage you include an extra 80 cent to me unless your seeds are coming back in a priority box that will be a flat rate price of 5.65, which includes the confirmation sticker. Also, since last year, the size, width, postage & confirmation costs have gone up. Once you go over 12 ounces your package goes by zone and weight. Some of you will only be sending in a few seeds, as that is all you have for the swap, but you may be getting back 100’s of packets of seeds and in some cases bulbs. These seeds/bulbs not only weigh, but so does all the baggies, wrap, the cute cards and decorations some folks make on their seed packets , and little odds and ends that folks send along to go into the Piggy buckets.

If you have 100 packs or lots you expecting to come back, use postage for 13 oz. and consider sending the 5.65 and letting me just use the priority box that comes with confirmation and no labels needed.) added: If you want extra packs back, really, really consider that box! And pay attention to the postage amount you send me as it will cost more than what you sent in. Do not be stingy on this postage. . I will return any extra postage that isn't needed to each person.

Right now with the new postage rules, 13 ounces goes first class from my zone to yours, plus confirmation sticker of 80 cent. Any fraction over and your package automatically is considered priority mail and the price of 5.65 kicks in up to 16 ounces. Over 16 ounces then goes by additional postage of priority rate plus your zone. I don’t think we had as even as much as some of the boxes were stuffed went over the 5.65 price.

So , please, seriously consider sending the 5.65 for postage, for the priority box and it save s on rolls and rolls of tape and time too. I can easily return any extra postage, than trying to find more in my pocket. Survivors, no postage is needed from you. We hope you enjoy our gift to you and may you once again have a nice garden
4. A sheet of paper with your:
1. name,
2. address,
3. email,
4. DG name,
5. Number of seed packs sent, and number of seed packs wanted back
6. Description of your garden, and yourself as a gardener and grower from seed (new, middle, experienced.)
7. 10 things you want (no limit for Survior folks, though can't guarantee how many will be sent back),
8. 10 things you don't want, and
9. a list of the seeds you are sending of all the loose packs that are not earmarked for another player.

My addy is in the exchange. If you need it, dmail me and I wil giv e it to you. The above will be on the top of of the ne w threads a s they are starte d too, so it wil be easier for you to find.

Remember, just cuz it onyl costs you a coupel bucks to send in yoru package to me, it gonan cost losts more gettign them boxes back to you. So Please make sure there is plenty of postage to cover your boxes going back. Your packaga e may be only a few bucks comign to me but you have oinks, one for ones , wishes, and bottom of the barrel all comign back at ya. And don't forget confirmation stickers to me, and postage for one going back. I will not send any box back without one.

Make sure too when ya send your package that you let me know it been sent so I cna keep track and mark your seed have list so that folks now your lists are closed.

If once you have sent your seeds and if somebody happens to ask for somethign and it been sent in your one for ones or extras, you cna dmail me to pull it out for that person. Sometime s folks see somethign after the fact and I have no problem pulling a packet for folks and throwing it in their pile.

Now the fun part starts for me, seeds ..seeds and mroe seeds to wallow, roll and through. LOL. Thousand s of beautiful seeds. hehehehhehehe Onc e they all get here you wil a giant SUUUUUUUUUeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiii as I look aroudn at them all and feed your seed frenzies. : )

Other information:

Swap guidelines can be found at the top of this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052789/

The LISTS thread with haves/wants is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052786/

(Use the "find" function of your browser to look for names of seeds or names of participants... searching for your own name is a good way to count up your oinks.)

And here is a "list of lists" where you can find links to each participants list post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055851/

Happy Oinking Everybody!

The tiem for oinking wil be ending in a coupel of weeks and as we are enterign the Christmas Holidays some folsk may have plans and need ot get their package s in before the 20th.

Here's what ya do:

Remebr the oinkign part of the swap close s on the 15th and seed are due to me bu the 20th , please. Any questiosn or problems, let me know or ask a regular piggy. They got the porcess down pat. : )

WHAT YOU WILL SEND ME:

1. Your seeds. added: Since I need to send back as many packs as people send in, I need some help counting. LOL! On the baggies that are tagged for certain people, I would like the number of packs you've enclosed for that person written on the slip of paper with their name so that I don't have to go rooting through to count them.

When sending your seed to me whether it be in a bubbler or a box. I highly recommend you put a confirmation sticker on your package. Confirmation stickers cost 80 cent. With cutbacks and such in the postal service it is best to be on the safe side, then to have your seeds lost in the mail. So far we have been lucky and all package s have arrived. But there can always be a first time. Last year we did have one that looked like an elephant sat on it and another one that looked like somebody put their fists through the box several times, but all seed were accounted for. Until I have received your seeds, those you asked for will not be sent out, unless you can provide me with a confirmation number. Then when they do eventually arrive, I can just mail them individually to the participants.

2. Return address label (or piece of paper I can tape) to use on bubble mailer/box you send to me. Please. Make sure your addie s are nice and clear for me to read. : )

3. Postage to return your mailer to you. : Due to the sheer volume, these envelopes or boxes will need to be sent back to you with delivery confirmations. This is nonnegotiable, so make sure in your postage you include an extra 80 cent to me unless your seeds are coming back in a priority box that will be a flat rate price of 5.65, which includes the confirmation sticker. Also, since last year, the size, width, postage & confirmation costs have gone up. Once you go over 12 ounces your package goes by zone and weight. Some of you will only be sending in a few seeds, as that is all you have for the swap, but you may be getting back 100’s of packets of seeds and in some cases bulbs. These seeds/bulbs not only weigh, but so does all the baggies, wrap, the cute cards and decorations some folks make on their seed packets , and little odds and ends that folks send along to go into the Piggy buckets.

If you have 100 packs or lots you expecting to come back, use postage for 13 oz. and consider sending the 5.65 and letting me just use the priority box that comes with confirmation and no labels needed.) added: If you want extra packs back, really, really consider that box! And pay attention to the postage amount you send me as it will cost more than what you sent in. Do not be stingy on this postage. . I will return any extra postage that isn't needed to each person.

Right now with the new postage rules, 13 ounces goes first class from my zone to yours, plus confirmation sticker of 80 cent. Any fraction over and your package automatically is considered priority mail and the price of 5.65 kicks in up to 16 ounces. Over 16 ounces then goes by additional postage of priority rate plus your zone. I don’t think we had as even as much as some of the boxes were stuffed went over the 5.65 price.

So , please, seriously consider sending the 5.65 for postage, for the priority box and it save s on rolls and rolls of tape and time too. I can easily return any extra postage, than trying to find more in my pocket. Survivors, no postage is needed from you. We hope you enjoy our gift to you and may you once again have a nice garden
4. A sheet of paper with your:
1. name,
2. address,
3. email,
4. DG name,
5. Number of seed packs sent, and number of seed packs wanted back
6. Description of your garden, and yourself as a gardener and grower from seed (new, middle, experienced.)
7. 10 things you want (no limit for Survior folks, though can't guarantee how many will be sent back),
8. 10 things you don't want, and
9. a list of the seeds you are sending of all the loose packs that are not earmarked for another player.

My addy is in the exchange. If you need it, dmail me and I wil giv e it to you. The above will be on the top of of the ne w threads a s they are starte d too, so it wil be easier for you to find.

Remember, just cuz it onyl costs you a coupel bucks to send in yoru package to me, it gonan cost losts more gettign them boxes back to you. So Please make sure there is plenty of postage to cover your boxes going back. Your packaga e may be only a few bucks comign to me but you have oinks, one for ones , wishes, and bottom of the barrel all comign back at ya. And don't forget confirmation stickers to me, and postage for one going back. I will not send any box back without one.

Make sure too when ya send your package that you let me know it been sent so I cna keep track and mark your seed have list so that folks now your lists are closed.

If once you have sent your seeds and if somebody happens to ask for somethign and it been sent in your one for ones or extras, you cna dmail me to pull it out for that person. Sometime s folks see somethign after the fact and I have no problem pulling a packet for folks and throwing it in their pile.

Now the fun part starts for me, seeds ..seeds and mroe seeds to wallow, roll and through. LOL. Thousand s of beautiful seeds. hehehehhehehe Onc e they all get here you wil a giant SUUUUUUUUUeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiii as I look aroudn at them all and feed your seed frenzies. : )

Other information:

Swap guidelines can be found at the top of this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052789/

The LISTS thread with haves/wants is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1052786/

(Use the "find" function of your browser to look for names of seeds or names of participants... searching for your own name is a good way to count up your oinks.)

And here is a "list of lists" where you can find links to each participants list post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055851/

Happy Oinking Everybody!

Thumbnail by starlight1153
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh nic e ne w thread for everybody to drag their muddy feets through . LOL : )

Know there probably alot of pink piggie s otu ther e this morning. It 22 here and solid ice and frost evrywhere. Anythign that wasn't already frozen sure is now.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Too funny Ella! I was pretty surprised to see the frozen solid ground outside myself this morning!

There are a couple of plants I want to make sure live this winter, outdoors. They are a passionflower vine in a pot, a ginger in the ground, and a mexican bush sage in a pot. They are all marginally hardy here. I'm planning on cutting them back, mulching heavily and pulling the pots up against the house (south side). Does that make sense? Should they be cut back? Is there anything else I should do? I know I could pull the pots into the garage or something, but I'm pretty sure I'd forget about them and they'd die from lack of water.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning ladies.... Ella, sorry - i hadn't notice we were over 200. cold here too, but a balmy 27.
I awoke this morning, way too early, to the 'chirp' of those dang smoke detectors. Why is it they can't start their chirp at 6pm instead of 6am?! very rude.

of course, the one that went first was in my room. ug. i just got up and closed my door so it would be muffled. since i was so tired, i wasnt about to go up on a ladder. Dh got up about 20 min later.... changed them all out, and some were still chirping.... he said, "no wonder people take out the batteries and dont put them back in." But -- that is also when the house goes up in flames and htey have no notice and folks die.... Uggg, what horrid thoughts this morning. i'm just tired and wish i was still sleeping.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Kl.. I never cut mien back til spring . The reason for this is you cut them in the winter and with the rains and cold temps. The wound s don't get a good chance to heal over properly as all the nutrients and such that would seal the wound s are staying in the crowns and roots.

You have a better chanc eof gettin ginfections in yoru plants with winter cuts. I just wait til spring when I know frost is over and then go aroudn and start cutting back old and dead growth. No open wounds then and by that tiem the plants are starting to shoot up new growth and the wound s have a chance to dry out good.

I know it looks bad durign the winter , but it betetr on the plants. I just toss leaves bunche s of them cuz that what I have here on top of them and aroudn the pots to protect. Same thing with the gingers.

I have hiden gingers that stay out in pots all witner on the ground and they in an area wher e they barely get any leave s fallen on them and have never had a problem with them coming back. Mandevilles have just mulche d heavily around the pot s with leaves and soon as it got warm got them uncovered .

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

Star after reading your first post up there for the bazillionth time it finally sank in and I forgot to put the note about how many seeds and all that, so I'll stick it in the card with the postage....sometimes I think my brain went to a tropical place and left my body behind!

Thanks Ella, I'll leave them alone! I've got plenty of leaves I can toss on them. Been saving them for more lasagna beds :)

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Lynn, if you haven't sent your box out yet hmmm...I would love to have some of your Red Dye Amaranthus if you have some still I thought they all got so tall so I haven't ever grown any, those are beautiful! Just the right size :) I'll dmail you.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Last day for oinking on my list ... I was bad and added a bunch more things ... have lots more seeds than I had realized. But I'm closing it tonight ... or maybe really early tommorow morning ... not sure :D I'm going to try to get the box out by Tuesday am. So Oink away. I may be adding more latr this afternoon also as I come across things. I have a mess of seeds all over the place ... come take em all ... lol :D PPLLLLEEAAAZZZZE :D
Brandy

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lynn :)

It's Mittsy's birthday today, Happy Birthday Mittsy hope this day brings you everything you want and some nice WARM weather! :)

Happy Birthday Mittsy!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Happy Birthday to ya MIttsy!!!!!!!!!!!! : ) Wishign you many more! : )

Trina.. Ya need to be like me. I have no brain I just run on automation. That way when the sometimers, ( cuz soemtimes I remember and sometimes I don't ) kicks in then I got a good excuse.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh hey forgot . BEFORe YA EAT ANY TYPE OF GOURD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya need to research it good and find out if it is edible or not. Foudn out that even though they a close cousin to pumpkins. Most gords are poisionous and are not for eating.

Figrued I better get that typed before I forget again. So Lall think it was you. Glad you stil with us.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hope you are having a Happy Happy Happy Birthday Mittsy!

I have company and we were looking on the computer for some of my pictures and I was so excited to find some I hadn't been able to find since hubby had downloaded them to his file and not mine.
Here is a picture of my Helenium ‘Flammendes Käthchen’ at our cottage, it's 2nd year.
Sorry for the lines in the picture, our camera was dying.

Thumbnail by toofewanimals
Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of my Yvonnes salvia with the Leilani blue ageratum and the EE.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

And I've got to show you the Garden at the cottage I started 2 years ago. Most of these I started from seed.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

very pretty... do you recall what the purple Sage type that is in the background of the last image??
I just love deep purples. Bet that would look great with some Rudbuckia hirtas.

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Teresa, that is Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'. Funny you mentioned it would look nice with the Rudbeckia hirta. The first year of the garden, I did plant some in the back. But this year it was really filling out with the Heleniums, so no room for the rudbeckia. and I had thought some would come up on their own, but none did.

I wasn't thinking of saving seeds from the Caradonna, just cut them down when they were done blooming. We don't get to the cottage much, so have to do things when I'm there to keep it looking nice. I'll try and get seeds next year.

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Mittsy - Hope you had a wonderful day

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Those Helenium are gorgeous, I don't know why more people are not into them.
Brrrrrrrrrr its cold!!! I'm just now thawing out my computer from last night. I covered up my beautiful Foxglove, hoping to make it hang on until I get some seeds from it. Does anyone know if you can pot up a foxglove or how love it takes to make seeds from bloom. Sure would like to save it.
I think I'm going to be closing down the list tomorrow so I can get things ready - I don't think I ever will otherwise.
So if anyone else is thinkin about oinkin - OINK ok :)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Mittsy, many more :)

Happy Birthday Mittsy!

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

OH LA we could have lost you! You better start watching what you eat there are a lot of things that are poison and we don't know it, when I was selling plants a lot of people would take a leaf and munch on it to a lot of the flowers and it just gave me fits! lol Be careful girlfirend but who would have thought a gourd would be poisonous! We just never know...

toofew, what is the dark purple flower in your last picture on the left hand side those are pretty! All of your flowers are pretty but I like that dark purple :)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Lea -- you missed her answering me when i asked that question...

>>Teresa, that is Salvia nemorosa 'Caradonna'.

Gorgeous, aren't they??

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

I was just reading a Garden Gate from earlier in the summer and happened across a statement about the Tiger Eye Rudbeckia. It said the Tiger Eye looks nice in a planter with Nicotinia. Well, imagine that ... I'm getting the Tiger Eye and Purple Nicotinia seeds from this swap. Guess what I'm going to be planting together come spring. lol

lol toofew!

That Salvia is gorgeous... another item for my 'wants' list :)

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday Mittsy!

was it this forum someone posted a link to origami seed packets?

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes trina but its up aways

I thought so but I wanted to make sure before I went searching...thanks ansonfan....I will definately be way more prepared for this swap next year. course I learned about it from LynnWeidman like 4 hours before it started LOL

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Toofew, beautiful flower beds!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH....Lynn... i was going thru my notes today, getting my new seeds added to my spreadsheet.... i must have asked for the Purple Salvia long ago, since it was already in my notes... so i dont need 2 baggies, just one is fine.

which thank you Lynn I will actually HAVE a garden next year now...instead of just the jungle in my house....LOL

at least you had notes tcs...I got so excited about oinking that last night when I went back over everyones lists I was kinda shocked to see me name on some stuff because I didn't remember oinking for it....LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

trina... that is why i try to keep good notes... if i didnt - i'd ask for about 500 seeds!! thinking it was only about 20.

yeah...Ella's gonna kick my butt! oh well I will no better for next year and be much better prepared, notes and seeds thanks to the oragami seed packet link.....I hated cutting and then pasting all those packets! LOL

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

trina, here is the link for the Origami seed packs I posted before.
http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com/2008/12/make-your-own-paper-seed-packets.html

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

tcs, I had you down for the purple salvia the first time, so I figured you had just forgotten that you asked for it. I like it when I pick out the same thing twice, I take it as a sign that I must really like it.

I am glad you got to participate, Trina. See, I told you it would be loads of fun. I have enjoyed the different "friendships" as well as the seeds.

Hey you guys, if anyone has any seeds you are not useing in the piggy swap and would like to have fun with them and put them to good use, there is a seed auction going on that needs vegie seeds and flower seeds and you could win a few really good seeds for your own garden as well as helping others. The flower seeds will mostly be used for the newbies for arejay to send to them when they join and the vegie seeds will go to CajuninKy for the ones she is trying to help so you could help some and get rid of your old seeds and get new ones at the same time. I know I have mentioned this before but the end of the auction is Wednesday at 6:00pm so just wanted to remind you if anyone was interested. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.