What is your favorite cool weather dish?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)
There are a total of 227 votes:

It has to be chili!
(61 votes, 26%)
Red dot

We have a favorite soup or stew at our home. (tell us!)
(75 votes, 33%)
Red dot

A warm cobbler or pie for dessert. (what kind)
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Chicken and dumplings (or noodles)
(39 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Ham and beans with cornbread.
(11 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Spaghetti. (how do you prepare yours?)
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

None of the above! (tell us!)
(22 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

RRay also uses nutmeg w/ her greens dishes or creamed stuff. I don't love it so I use it very sparingly. I bought the whole pieces and the metal grater for them.

My favorite is roasted turkey breast and the stuffing (I do some in the bird and a separate pan for the rest) I made up a recipe for:) Gotta have the jellied cranberry sauce and gravy from the pan drippings.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I guess I'll just have to break down and try it with something and see. It is just hard to imagine it .

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've put nutmeg in turnip greens on occasion. It has the familiar taste, but since there is no sugar, it is more of a peppery 'bite.'

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I add nutmeg to my mac and cheese. Got that tip from Rachel Raye....

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Chicken and dumplings is definitely a favorite but we also love a good pot of enchilada soup as well.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted for Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup--- which I made today (Yummmmy!!)... although on a cold day our family also likes Stew; or Taco Soup; or Chili; and then sometimes we just like simple Beans and Cornbread!

Mooresville, NC(Zone 7b)

Brunswick Stew!!!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I guess I don't eat anything that is limited to the winter, so it's "none of the above". But if I could eat whatever I wanted, I would have pumpkin pie every day.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

sushi... no matter the weather

Any soup I find warming on a cool day. We don't have 'cold' days anymore since I live in Florida, but when it dips below 70 after having been in the 90s for months we pretend it's winter LOL.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

For me it has to be home made chicken soup, made with wide noodles, I often have it for breakfast. I make it in quanity and freeze servings in plastic containers for a quick and easy meal.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Seafood gumbo, Red Bean and rice, and Brunswick Stew and, and.... all of the above with lot and lot of chili!!!! Muhuaaaaaaa!!!

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

Chicken and dumplings, yum yum, with cornbread. I unfortunely don't cook a lot so I get mine from Cracker Barrel and they are good.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We eat a lot of soups, thick with vegies, beans or whatever. Yesterday I cooked pinto beans, added tomato sauce and home canned tomatoes, onion, and chili powder, and made a pan of cornbread to go with it. Last week we had split pea soup, the week before it was chicken and rice soup. I don't follow recipies very often, and it just depends on what I have on hand, so they never are the same twice. Last week I also roasted a panfull of vegies with a little olive oil and salt. The combination was potatoes, onions, carrots, rutabagas and parsnips. We had those with a small roast but cooked them in a separate pan. I covered the vegies for an hour at 350, then uncovered for another hour.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I make what I call Scrap Soup. I keep a half-gallon container in the freezer and put leftover veggies and meat in it. When it gets full, I thaw it in the fridge for a day and then dump it in the crock pot with some broth. After it cooks a few hours, I check to see if any seasoning is needed.

It can have chicken, beef, barbque and any number of veggies or pasta. Great for the frugal cook! (your family will never suspect)

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Melody that sounds like what my GM called a Poor Mans soup. She saved all of her left overs and put it all in a pot for soup. I was always good LOL

Newport, OR

flowerjen - I prefer canellini, but northerns are good too - whatever you prefer. I even made it once with dried green bean "beanies" and that was very good. My husband likes his with beef and black beans - you can go anywhere with chilli!!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Yep, it's soup or stew depending on our whim and with whatever fresh veg we have. In fall we have those autumn favorites, turnips, winter squash, kale, cress, cereraic, parsnips. Bean soup is another favorite. I love looking at other DG members' recipes and ideas.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Besides the chicken and dumplings, we also find comfort in New England clam chowder. For myself, I enjoy a good gumbo using frozen okra from last summer. I made gumbo just yesterday and finished it off for lunch. Yum! Yum!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

This thread got me craving stew, so I made some hearty beef stew for dinner tonight. Lots of tender meat, lots of veggies, especially potatoes. I have a weakness for potatoes cooked in broth! My 8 yo DS just kept going, "Mmmm, this is SO good!" Looks like they'll be lifelong stew lovers, too!

Hard to beat a good beef stew with chunks of fresh buttered bread....off to the kitchen....grin

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Good old fashioned vegetable soup. My mother-in-law, bless her heart, makes the most wonderful soup and I try to make it like hers. My hubby likes egg noodles in his soup so I add those. I still (after all these years) don't think my soup is as good as hers.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh so many goodies lited here! Love Beef Stroganoff, Cassoulette, Pot au feu, Beef Barley Soup. My all time favorite is the Spilt Peas with Ham. Last year I tried adding fresh mushrooms to it and really enjoyed that. I'll try the Sherry next.

A New Orleans dish that I love is Smoked Ham Hocks and Limas!! Yum Yum. Another is Beef Brisket with Braised Cabbage.

This Thanksgiving I'll make my favorite veg dish, Charceuterie. To die for!

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009 5:18 PM

Lufkin, TX(Zone 8b)

chicken and dumplings...but it's a love/hate relationship really. I love to eat them but hate to cook them. Mine are a pale shadow of my mom's :( the last several times I wanted some I've had the 'rents over so mother could handle the dumpling end of the situation.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Isn't it strange how you can use the exact same recipe as someone else, but never get the same finished product? Usually, it's some simple part of the methodology that makes the difference. But the devil is in trying to figure out what!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Our wintertime favorite is homemade chicken and veggie pie with a rough puff pastry crust. Learned to make it when we lived in London....many fond foodie memories from those years.

I wish I could make a good beef stew...mine never turn out the way I think they should, and I've been trying for 40 years! I even took a cooking class for it. )-:

What a wide range of recipes and tastes represented in the thread! Lots of fun to think of sitting at your tables and sharing a meal on a cold winter day. (-:

If folks with differences cooked for each other and sat down and shared a meal, the world could rest a bit easier....hard to be mad when the food is good....grin

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

stormy,
What is the Chareuterie?

I am a bit confused, as I thought Charceuterie (charcuterie) was a process for meat preservation. Please tell us how you make this dish with veggies, is it a type of veggie sausage?

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-charcuterie.htm

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

2-Alarm chili with beans and cheddar cheese over Fritos. I also like homemade potato and leek soup.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

themoonhowl, Oooops! You are correct. I'm having a brain blip. I'm speaking of Choucroute, a baked cabbage and lardon recipe.

I am WAY too familiar with those blips. Stormy....grin Both are very good....grin

Definitely Paella!
Of course, choucroute garni and couscous complet are good too.
And then there's creamy leek & potato soup, New England Clam Chowder, and Oyster Stew, but those are just old-fashioned "comfort" food good at any time!
~Potagere

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Coq au Vin too!

I never exactly had a recipe for the Choucroute. This is not the Garni, which typically is a main dish and uses 3 types of pork. I got this from an old 1940's edition of Larousse Gastronomique. No methodology was given, just the ingredients.

Ingredients

1 large head of Savoy Cabbage
1 very large yellow onion
8 cloves garlic, slivered
1/2 lb pork lardons (use Salt pork and slice in 1/4 inch thick strips)
2 TBSP whole cloves
16 fresh sage leaves
zest from 1/2 orange finely grated
3/4 cup chicken broth, not buillon cubes
8 pats of Sweet Butter
1/2 cup Alsatian or Loire Valley White wine
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground White pepper

Take 4 butter pats in fry pan over med low heat and sweat lardons till just starting to brown. Remove from heat.

Cut cabbage in half from top to bottom. Cut each half into 8 inch thick wedges. Cut onion into 16 slices.

Take ceramic or LeCreuset type of casserole pan and put the other 4 butter pats on the bottom. Layer half of the lardons across the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle a quarter of the garlic on top of them. Add Salt & Pepper to taste.

Start arranging alternate piles of cabbage wedge, (narrow point down) onion slice, cloves, garlic slivers (reserve a quarter for the top), sage leaf laying them against one another. They should be standing up but leaning against one another.

When all vegetables are arranged, sprinkle remaining garlic slivers on top. Arrange remaining lardons on top of cabbage. Sprikle Orange Zest across top. Pour wine & chicken broth across all. Warm pan drippings and pour across top. Season top with salt & pepper. Cover with foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 for 45 minutes. Cook longer, if you desire cabbage to be softer.

Not for the cholesterol adverse, but delicious for a special occasion!

Doesn't really sound like "choucroute", but sounds an interesting dish!
Here, we usually get fresh Alsatian sauerkraut (choucoute) from the deli counter at the grocery (we always get the variety made with Riesling wine), then I add some juniper berries and zirah or caraway or fennel seeds and another good dose of wine and let it all simmer about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, steam some small potatoes. Then top with the sauerkraut with big chunks of Lyonnaise or Toulouse sausage, chunks of smoked ham hocks, thick sliced bacon, thickly sliced ham, chunks of frankfurters, whatever like that, and the potatoes, cover and cook on low heat until everything is nicely cooked through. Serve with crusty French baguettes, mustardm cornichons, pickled onions and lots more white wine. In Alsace, I have also had a version that used fresh salmon, tuna, cod and shrimp, and it was surprisingly good!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Potegere, Choucroute Garni is a Wonderful winter dish and I have made it many times. I had to go in search for new Juniper berries last year as mine had lost their flavor. They were incredibly hard to find, here in a large Metropolitan area. Didn't used to be so. I guess as people's tastes change, so do the products being offered.

I always use Reisling in that dish. Now that Raclette has enjoyed a resurgance in popularity, cornichons are again readily available. I find that I have to be careful when serving dishes with Juniper, a lot of people don't care for the flavor. Years ago when martinis were still made with Gin, people enjoyed the flavor. Nowadays, many folks are unfamiliar with the flavor and are put off by it.

That is so true, stormy. One reason why you can use older berries and still get a reasonable effect for most people. Fresh ones are best with the seafood choucroute, however; the flavours just really work together. I take it that you did finally find some?

Cornichons and pickled onions are staples with any tray of charcuterie (them there's cold cuts, moonhowl!, which could include coyote or wolf sausages!), so there are probably a dozen choices of each on any grocery shelf here. Personally, I mostly make my own from the garden produce.

I have to try your cabbage dish, though. Always looking for something good to do with cabbage this time of year.

Here's one you'll like:
Get 2 heads of Belgian endive per person. Cut them in quarters lengthwise and squeeze lemon over them. Strip the zest from an orange; mince it if necessary. Melt a couple of pats of butter in a cassorole that has a cover. Lay down the endive quarters, dot with butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper and the orange zest, maybe even just a sprinkle of sugar, keep going until you've used up all the endive, finishing with butter, salt, pepper, zest & some sugar. Pour over the juice from 1/2 the orange (or the whole orange if you used a lot of endive (you only want the liquid to come about 1/4 of the way up). Put on the lid, seal with pate if necessary (you want a TIGHT seal), then cook in a really slow oven (maybe 200 American?) For an hour or so. This just melts in your mouth!

Grin, Jim. I had to go look things up earlier cuz I was sure charcuterie was sausage/deli meats, but not sure enough to just say so....grin....we howlers stick to the traditional sausages, thank you...LOL

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Potato leek soup - had it once in a restaurant with a generous bit of Guinness in it and it was absolutely wonderful. Never could reproduce it. Whatever recipe I use, it can't be heavy with cream, so I look for different ones all the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.