What is your favorite cool weather dish?

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)
There are a total of 227 votes:

It has to be chili!
(61 votes, 26%)
Red dot

We have a favorite soup or stew at our home. (tell us!)
(75 votes, 33%)
Red dot

A warm cobbler or pie for dessert. (what kind)
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Chicken and dumplings (or noodles)
(39 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Ham and beans with cornbread.
(11 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Spaghetti. (how do you prepare yours?)
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

None of the above! (tell us!)
(22 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

OMG cece. Jalepeņos and peanut butter??? Is he pregnant?

I ain't picky, as long as it is HOT and not gross and not pork.

I think that God meant that I should live in a land where it never gets cold. Hey, that sounds like a song.

Hee hee.

I picked none of the above because its probably all of the above plus a few more.

I don't have a favorite color either. Most colors are perfect in their perfect places.

LOL

Happy trails. Baby, its cold outside!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

oooooogreen chile stew.

I am partial to Chilpotles!! In fact, I am packing a bottle in my suitcase - off to New Zealand. There I carry it with me!!!!

Posole is so yummy, with lots of chile verde... In fact, I take chilpotle because I ran out of powdered chileverde!!!!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Believe me I've said the same thing. He just have some "out of this world" taste buds, I guess. I forgot to also add the tuna which also goes on this same sandwich. I think he's from Saturn or some other far away planet, it is definitely not Earth.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Must have been hungry as a kid and just put anything together he could!!!!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I voted "None of the above", because it is ALL of the above.

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

Seafood gumbo with steaming rice and a beautiful baked sweet potato on the side, dripping with cinnamon and butter.

I would absolutely love to cook chicken and dumplings like my mother did, but I don't have her recipe.

Ohhh Drape, that sweet potato sounds sooo good right now. Freeze warnings to the north, probably/maybe a frost here. A baked sweet potato would be the perfect stay inside food.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Freeze warnings? Wow, one time I actually don't have zone envy...

My mom used to put cut up hot dogs in her mac and cheese when I was a kid and I thought that was the best thing on earth. Sometimes I still eat it that way.

Salad ...cold pineapple chunks with yoghurt here, no I am not crazy it's a heatwave here in my corner of the world (Australia).
Winter? like most of you soups ...stews, hot toast with melted cheese ...it makes me feel a bit sickly talking about that food right now ...heat takes the appetite away.I make up for it in winter though.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Anything with melted cheese, really. Though that pineapple and yoghurt sounds good...not much of a hot/food drink person myself. Gives me a hot flash like experience.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I voted Chili.
Recipe., easy.
Hamburger, Chili beans, Kidney beans, tomato sauce. Amount depends on size of kettle.
Add chunks of whole tomato, Red & Green Bell peppers, a nice big, sweet onion.
For great flavor some Thai hot peppers. Salt & black pepper to your taste. Maybe some chili powder. Homemade if you have it.
Not a exact recipe, so it will be a little different every time.
Serve with buttered soda crackers on the side. (A glass of milk, just in case--).

Bernie

ceejay ... you and me think alike, girl! LOL
^_^

Alexander City, AL

home made chilli of course.nothing like it mmmmmmmmmm

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Chili so hot (spicy) it makes ya sweat!

London, United Kingdom

It has to be steak & kidney pudding with mashed potato's and winter vegetables!
Thick rich gravy as well.
Regards from England.
Neil.

Thumbnail by NEILMUIR1
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I know I will probably get things thrown at me on a gardening web site if I even mention canned vegetables but you could call this an emergency recipe for vegetable soup on the year when it rains at the wrong times. 3 cans Veg-All, 3 cans chopped tomatoes, One large whole onion, coarsely chopped, and half jar of salsa. Throw it all into a large pot and add 1 lb of beef stew meat that you cooked in the crock pot while you were at work all day. Cook them altogether, salted to to taste until the raw onions are done, about 30 minutes. Serve with buttered corn bread (of course without sugar). It's Ok to crumble some of the cornbread into the soup after you serve yourself or you can cook elbow macaroni in the soup. It's even better the next day (if you have any left).

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

Red beans and rice- twice as nice. Cream style- just made a batch- yum!!!!

And gumbo- seafood gumbo with lots of okra, turkey file' gumbo.

Or all of the above that's listed here- makes me hungry!

Susan

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

For all of you who love hot, spicy food, this is a gem I saw on the Recipes Forum, I think, and I'd love to give credit to the person who shared it but couldn't find it there so retrieved it from my email:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055714/

It takes about five minutes to read but allow ten for the howls of laughter.

Minden, LA

Well, since I am answering, homemade vegetable beef soup with hot buttered (also homemade) cornbread; but my sons would say chicken and dumplings and my hubby would say chili. My family also likes dried lima bean soup with sausage. What I wouldn't give for a pot of my dad's squirrel mulligan, though!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I didn't vote as there was not an all of the above. We love all of it. I think during the winter around Thanksgiving and Christmas of Mothers Turkey hash she made when we were kids at home. Oh what a delight that was.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I make sometime for old fashioned homemade soups from my mom... Chicken noodles soup and some other soups so good yummy for wintertime...

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009 9:39 AM

Broadview, SK(Zone 3a)

Homemade soup!!
Mine is a sort of Pot de Feu
All the leftovers go into a pot with homemade broth and an occasion can of black beans or chick peas. Add finely chopped onion or frozen peas added just before serving- adds a nice zing.
Never the same, always yummy.
Full of things that are good for you but also flavor.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

Chili, chili, chili! Love when the Chili Cookoffs start every Fall. I try them all to see if there is anything new I can do with my own.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have to say spaghetti. My husband makes a big pot with meatballs. I love to put zucchini and red peppers on top. There is nothing made better at my house!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I voted soup, however I don't have any particular special one; just any and all kinds are wonderful. We do make a great cream of mushroom soup with just a tad of nutmeg. Mmmmmm.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I make a mushroom/carrot soup that we find tasty...I've even served it as a part of Christmas dinner (we do soup, sandwiches and finger foods on decorative paper plates)

Half stick of butter (got to be real butter..)
yellow onion sliced
box of fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced (or a big can of slices)
half dozen carrots sliced in rounds

Scramble all together in a stock pot till slightly wilted
Add a large container of beef stock (or homemade) The container is the giant coated cardboard type.
Cook on med heat till carrots are done. Thicken with a bit of water and cornstarch. Season with fresh ground pepper and some grated swiss cheese. Serve with toasted french bread with more butter.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

What is it with the nutmeg? I hear a lot of people using it in their cooking and I just can't imagine using it in anything other than what some receipes call for it like in Pumpkin pies and cakes.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Butternut squash soup just wouldn't taste right without a bit o'nutmeg. grin

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They sprinkle nutmeg on eggnog.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Mmm, Melody, that sounds lovely! My husband already accuses my mother of putting mushrooms in absolutely everything. Maybe I should share this recipe with her? LOL

Hopefully we will have Chantorells this year. it has certainly been wet enough. They make the best cream soup.

Hopefully we will have Chantorells this year. it has certainly been wet enough. They make the best cream soup. Nice and spicy.

Newport, OR

I voted for chilli - but my favorite is made a little different. I call it white chili - make it exactly the way you would regular beef chilli - just use lean ground pork and white beans instead of the beef and kidney beans. I love it, and it is lower calorie - and who doesn't like that?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

NeysaZ which white beans do you use...cannellini or nothern? or doesn't it matter?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I guess I'll be the butt, but I don't like squash or eggnog so I'll not have to worry about it. LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Nutmeg was a popular spice use in meat dishes during the 1600-1700's (they used pretty much anything spicy to cover up the fact that meat less than a few days old was less than palatable)

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

What kind of a taste does it give anything you use it in? I'm very curious about it. I know Martha Stewart and Paula Deen use it in stuff.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

flowerfantasy, when I saw the recipe asking for nutmeg in the cream mushroom I had exactly the same reaction but I used it as called for and I can't say what it adds but it ADDS such an interesting twist. It is excellent. You will be pleasantly surprised. Joann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.