What is your favorite cool weather dish?

There are a total of 227 votes:

It has to be chili!
(61 votes, 26%)
Red dot

We have a favorite soup or stew at our home. (tell us!)
(75 votes, 33%)
Red dot

A warm cobbler or pie for dessert. (what kind)
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Chicken and dumplings (or noodles)
(39 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Ham and beans with cornbread.
(11 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Spaghetti. (how do you prepare yours?)
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

None of the above! (tell us!)
(22 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I can't believe I'm first....how did that happen?????

Has to be veggie soup with veggies from the garden. Oh yum....now I need to go make a pot!

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Ha! I didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn...just waiting and wondering where my Monday morning ritual was. :) I immediately thought of chili. Yumm!

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beef barley soup with lots of garden veggies

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Veggie soup with plenty of stuff from my garden!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

My husband loves to make stew, and he is good at it. Beef or Chicken, both are delicious on a cold winter's day.

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

Since I have a pot of chicken and noodles on right now, and because it smells so good, that's my answer...on this day, anyway..lol
Dee

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I voted Chili.... would have voted all the above if given the choice! Yum yum... love it all.

Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Chicken and Dumplings, hands down! Yummmmmm....

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Homemade chicken corn chowder.... my recipe! So yummy on a cool evening!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Beef stew

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Cassoulet.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

When it gets cold and days grow short, I begin to feel like I need rich, fatty foods so I can hibernate. I voted "other" in lieu of all of the above and much, much more. pod ~ who is hoping to make it thru the winter without gaining lbs!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It really hurts because my favorite accompaniment to all of these goodies is hot bread with lots of butter.
Did I mention lots of butter???(the bread is just the vehicle for the butter)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Usually a chicken curry with lots of veggies...or Dal - a lentil soup/stew with lots of winter green veggies/cabbage chopped up in it. We like it spicey so our insides get warm too!!!!

Just cut out a garlic/spinach soup recipe...yum!!! It may become a favorite as it is so easy and so good!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Recipes please????

I'll start..

1) Leftover meat..roast, a hamburger patty...or shredded chicken...whatever you have.
2) large container of chicken broth..or better yet, home-made
3) Add a couple of chunked carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, onion, celery
4) Corn from the freezer...purple hull peas from the freezer...okra from the freezer...can of chunked tomatoes
5) dried beans from my 'bean stash'

Cook all day, add salt and pepper and thicken with some cornstarch and water if desired.
Serve with cornbread and butter....

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

So far I'm the only one to vote for dessert! Not really a cobbler or pie though; but good old British steamed pud. When I left GB three years ago I'm so glad I brought my pressure cooker. They don't seem to use them here. When the mercury is well below zero you can't beat steamed treacle sponge, or raisin pudding, or chocolate sponge, or.............Ah! I must to the kitchen. I feel the urge to cook coming on.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I didn't vote because there wasn't a button for 'all of the above'!

Santa Fe, NM

Chilli. But, New Mexicans call it chile and we like it hot!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Sacramento Taco Soup is my DH's favorite right now:

Servings: 8
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
2 14-1/2 oz whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 13-1/2 oz chicken broth (we make our own from boiled-up chicken bones)
1 4 oz. can green anaheim chiles, seeded & chopped
1/4 tsp salt
4 6 inch corn tortillas, halved
1/2 cup green onions, sliced thin
1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (I prefer sharp Cheddar)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup green taco sauce
Combine first five ingredients in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; reduce
heat & simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Cut one tortilla half into one-inch pieces
and place in a soup bowl. Add one cup of soup. Top with 1 tbsp. green onion, 1
tbsp. cheese, 1-1/2 tsp. cilantro and 1-1/2 tsp. taco sauce. Repeat with remaining
ingredients.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beef stroganoff mmmmmmm

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Chicken and andouille sausage gumbo with brown rice and fresh baked French Bread with garlic butter (lots of garlic butter, Melody, grin)

I voted other because all the above and many more are my favorite. I've found so many of my favorite right here on DG. From Maria's Roasted Root Vegetables to Pebble's Black Bean Soup right on through to bluekat76's Roasted Tomato Sauce and over to Roadrunner's "OMELETS IN A BAG" and her famous Sopapilla Cheesecake. There are many others I could name but you'd get tired of me listing them! LOL. If you don't frequent the recipe forum, though, I'd like to suggest that you do. We have a lot of wonderful cooks here on Daves Garden. Now you know why I couldn't vote for just one! ^_^
~Susan

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

My favorite is chicken stew made with cabbage,corn cut off the cob,fresh tomato,onion,garlic,celery and other veggies we can find. The final and most famous ingredient is lots of ketchup until the soup has a nice color to it. My Dad came to visit us and ate 4 bowls of it.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Y'all are makin' me hungry!!!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I wanted the all of the above option but it wasn't there.............. how come?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

All the choices sound good, but right now, after a chilly (ha!) afternoon outside raking and cutting back--it's got to be chili! I like it with beans or without beans...but it must be hot! Yum!

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, man, do I love Gumbo! That's a special one for me. Gumbo on New Years Eve with black-eyed peas. Thanksgiving is turkey mole'. Christmas is up for grabs! Chile is every day food.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Roybird, Christmas eve dinner at our house is turkey gumbo made from the leftover Thanksgiving turkey.....

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Beked potato soup, chicken enchilada soup, or chili are our favorites, but there are many other soups and stews that we enjoy.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Melody - can I skip the okra and have an extra stick of butter...please!

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Real baked mac and cheese...with buttered bread crumb topping...mmmmm...

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Any soup i can find a receipe for or make up my own with what i have on hand. Serve up with hot buttered cornbread.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

all of the above also .. i bet that woulda won the vote

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I was torn between soup or chicken and dumplings/noodles, and finally went with the chicken & noodles, because that is comfort food for my family. I love a good stew, or cheesy potato soup, or chicken noodle, or beef barley. . . Hmmm, maybe I should have voted soup/stew after all!

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Split pea with ham. A long time ago a restaurant owner with a famous version told me her secret: a dash of sherry.
Minimum other ingr: cup each diced celery, carrot, onion, 1 small potato, a marrow bone, and plenty of cracked pepper!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Ooooh I love split pea soup. My DM makes the BEST and with bcornbread? Its to die for.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Green chile stew... our version, though, is a thick beef stew with green chile...yum...

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Green chilies and jalapenos are a daily staple in this household. My hubby and I will eat anything with jalapenos or green chilies.
Him more so than me.............he makes this sandwich daily of lettuce leaf for the bread with peanut butter, jalapenos, blk olive slices, onions, and shredded cheddar cheese. I know he"s wierd.

Cottage Grove, OR(Zone 8a)

an entire batch of gingersnaps with hot apple cider.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.