CLOSED: '09 Fall Frenzy Swap Page #7

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

and I'm not sure at all but it looked neat

Thumbnail by trinawitch

and there are more but I can't find the pictures right now

so it wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings then if I made those into a nice little mix?

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

Wouldn't hurt my feelings :)
and I'd try some.

ok then I got you down for some then...I just hated to throw seeds away just because I didn't know what they were to trade them or give them away! It's the tree hugging dirt worshipper in me! LOL

Southborough, MA(Zone 6a)

Be sure to keep some for yourself to plant, ID them next year, then you can trade them by ID next year.

oh I did I kept a little of each one with things to describe it on the package, so I can ID them later, but I just had so many left I was like ok now what do I do with these? LOL Well I am headed to bed, maybe my pain pills will kick in soon!

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Mygypsyrose,

Oinking for some of your Climbing Snapdragon (Asarina scandens) the ones in your pics are gorgeous & would look great alongside our shed porch. I'll just have to push the sweet peas over a bit to squeeze them in.

Missed the game but this former city gal has absolutely no knowledge of
piggys.

Lea, sorry about your uncle. Thoughts & prayers going out to you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I want to know what the other smarter animals are! I put pigs in 5th place... Humans, great apes (chimps, gorillas, 'tangs), cetaceans (dolphins/whales), octopuses, then pigs. You could probably argue the octopus/pig thing either way, as it may be their visual acuity that makes octopi appear smarter.

I wouldn't have won in any event... I got the toes wrong, and pigs aren't quite as fast as I'd have guessed from watching the pig races at the county fair! LOL

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, Jill, don't you remember the pigs in Animal Farm? They were the smartest on the farm, so they ended up taking over after the revolt, and acting just like the people did. I was kinda afraid of pigs after reading that, LOL.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

They were only smartest because there were no octopuses on the farm.

LOL

Can you tell I was way "into" marine invertebrates?

Yeah, that was a scary book. "Some animals are more equal than others."

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

It can be argued that cetaceans are smarter than apes and possible even man . They're just so alien to us that we are incapable of measuring their intellect.

Browns Mills, NJ(Zone 6b)

Got ya down Cris.

They really are a pretty flower...:-)

Thumbnail by mygypsyrose
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, mygypsy, I think I need some of that too. It's so pretty!

Sure thing! lol!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Alrighty. Got all the winners. : )

To thos e of you that thought pigs could fly , well they may in that one commercial, but was nto the right answer. LOL. Had to chuckle at some of the other answers. heheheheh Thanks to all who played.

Here wa s the correct one s I wa s lookign for:

1. boar
2. gilt
3. female pig that has had a litter
4. Pigs rank #4
5. grunt (or oink)
6. more tolerant of cold
7. sweat glands
8. True
9. C. Both
10. Two (for walking).
11. C. 7

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Nice game Star.

tcs, I'm oinking for the Asclepias curassavica, I found a site that says hummers like it as well as monarchs.

Simpsonville, SC(Zone 7b)

Ok, I've not even got out of bed yet, and I'm wallowing around in the seeds! Ansofan, you have dmail!

Now, I'd best be getting my daughter up for school...

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the game Star..It was quiet informative to learn that pigs are good for something besides making bacon...oink oink...

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Trina.... for number two image... i have some Agastaches that look like that. I'd have to see the foliage of that plant. if there are still leaves... rub them and see if there is a nice fragrance.

For those that Dmailed me... gotcha covered, and list updated.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mygypsyrose, if you still have some Asarina seeds, I'd love a pinch too :-)

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Is that asarina a vine?? it is a beautiful color....

Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Mygypsyrose,
sometimes all you have to do is post a pretty picture & voila' !

that was a pretty picture

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Hmmmm pretty pictures well how about this one? I'm trying to decide if the red cockscomb in this picture is the regular or giant ones. Anyone know?

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Lol Cris, A pretty picture definitely did the trick!

Gemini....I'm getting you marked now

Gen... Yes it is a vine. I grow it in a pot and overwinter it. It was loaded with blooms this year. It's hardy to zone 9. You can grow it as an annual also. Just, grow a few because they don't get very big the first year.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Pretty cockscomb Mindy

Yes, that is pretty! I don't know if those are 'giant' or not... But I'm glad that I saw the whole plant. I have some cockscomb here and I have not grown it yet. But, your flower heads are huge when I see them on the whole plant! I'm going to have to grow them next spring for sure...

Mindy, that cockscomb sure looks giant to me!

Uggh. Parkseed is having a pretty good sale, ends tonight, if anyone's interested. I went ahead and ordered a shrub I've been wanting, and some of my supplies for spring at the same time. A $50 order costs over $24 in shipping, and I'm within about 1 1/4 hrs of them! If only I though that's because the shrub is huge... hah!

Oinking is WAY more fun! (and cost-effective ;-)

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Mindy, from the height and head size, I think that is the big Cockscomb you've got there.

Thanks Andrea! I grew Asarina once before and loved them. I wonder if there's any way to overwinter them indoors?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Do you have a greenhouse that you overwinter in?? I would love to try a few seeds if you still have plenty. I am pretty sure that I ordered a different asarina last year in the seed coop but I didn't have any luck with germination.

I don't have a greenhouse so guess I would either have to store in my garage or start over every year!

Genna

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I sure wish I had a greenhouse! I grew some as annuals before, didn't even know they were a tender perennials.

I'm using evil plant person tactics to get him to finish the greenhouse he started to build last winter, basically taking over any flat surface in the house, including laying plywood over the couch and then burying it in plants! LOL

;-) I like that...

some times we just got to do what we just got to do...LOL sad part is that's just houseplants I haven't even started my tropical seeds yet...I can't wait to get started on those

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

dang wasnt looking at list and missed out on the japanese morning glories.

hmph hehehe been dealing with sickness lately so havent been watching.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Are Japanese MG seeds still good if they had frost before turning brown and drying out? I have quite a few pods on Indigo Feather that are drying now, and what I've gathered look good. I'm curious because I've got Moon vine growing next to them that had such big developing pods, that now feel mushy. They're a lot bigger, and take longer to dry out- I wonder if they should be gathered while green before frost?

mine that I gathered that were green before the frost never ripened just turned to dust

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

mushy means the MGs got frosted.. if they are still firm & now brown/mature, they should be fine.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I think the best bet with the moonflower is too cut the whole vine down when frost is coming and put in a protected spot to leave for awhile and sometimes the seeds will develop.
I think if the mgs developed they are fine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.