CLOSED: Seed Junkie Chit Chat - Newbies Welcome 08/22/09

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good idea Seray we cross posted...

Great minds can lead you in many directions. LOL Or something like that.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL something like Mojitos you mean ....

LOL Newbie Mojitos to be specific.

I meant to tell you Cue I thought your bouquet was wonderful. Nice arrangement. How did she get so talented Arejay. Do you think LUCY does it all and she just takes the credit? :)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

If she does and we think it is Cue that is so clever Lucy will find out and then......TROUBLE

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL...Lucy could care less.. i used to be a Florist/Cake Decorator.. yup, Im multi talented...ROTFL... but.. have ALWAYS been a writer.

Savannah, GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks guys...i'll keep you posted with that project.
Also, i'm a little confused on how your auctions work. Can ya'll give me a quick rundown?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

they work like this...

someone posts what is up for bids... you bid with seed or plants or a combo of both... you bid waht you are willing to trade for it. its like using plants and seed as curency

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

are you headed to the Auction Jules?

Savannah, GA(Zone 9a)

OHHH ...i can already see this is very addictive, should i dare? This is gonna be fun!

Lots of fun and Mekos has everything. LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

mekos - My Moonbush that you sent me now has a spikey seed pod on it. When do i collect the seeds from it? does it turn brown or something?

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey has anyone seen arejay this morning?

Arejay if your out there you have a dmail about seed envie from a lady.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

havent seen her. havent seen anyone as a matter of fact...your the first person lol

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Where is everyone this morning???

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

Good Morning all...

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Here I am....

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Morning friends! I'm at work :o(

Happy Monday!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

HI Everyone. I was outside digging sprouts and sanding a bookcase

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Mindy - was thinking of draggin my dresser (had it since I was 12), outside to redo for a 3rd time... last time it was repainted white,=. not sure how i want to do it this time.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

I've had this bookcase since I was 16 or 17 can't remember now. Mom bought it for me for my birthday one year cause I had alot of craft books piling up in my room. It was a ugly brown color I haven't decided if I want to stain it or paint it. It goes in my craft room whenever that gets finished.

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Anybody ever plant the giant purple allium? I think it is the coolest looking flower and was wondering if anyone has any experience, good or bad with it.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I did I planted it and I love it....But mine grew and got maybe two feet tall and then it bent over and died it was so disheartening and I know that sounds silly but I love that stuff....and I really wanted it to grow.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Will you all go look at the last post I made on this link so i dont repeat it here.
Thank You....
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030412/

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Lolly,

Yep! Grew it in Ogden Utah...Zone 5...had it about 7 years...Bought it as bulbs though not seed. Never had to do anything to it...divided it after 3 or 4 year and it just went on...it grew beautifully. I just let the Grow the long stem was strong enough to hold the huge head without probbing or staking...when the head died I just let the leaves soak up energy like with other bulbs until they died...sometimes because they were so large I would tie them with a green rubber band if they got unsightly while they were still dieing off but, they really just took care of themselves...I choked when I first paid for the bulbs...NOT CHEEP but, were well worth it...wounderful in the garden and accept for a little cheep bulb food and minor care I mentioned a real winner and show stopper.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I know there not cheap are they...I salvaged the bulbs hoping I dried them and let them rest will plant them which fall or spring Jamie? Then hope will be all that is left.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

arejay,
I think cue set up a thread didn't she just for that purpose and one for the newbies.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I set up the directions thread but it used to be at the top of the free seed for newbies thread and we all chatted there. Now we have grown into so many threads. Which are great it is exciting to watch it all grow from a tiny little mustard seed...But the directions get lost in the shuffle now. So .... Cue and I spoke about a sticky some time ago...I think it was Cue maybe someone else...about a sticky then we forgot to look into it I think...But I have and am awaiting a response from admin...so looking for imput as to what forum to attach it to, Maybe I will start another newbie thread and add in the chatter about the zones or when people send their envies and when they get them back and post a link to each of the new threads in that thread...Any body have tow cents they want to put in?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

It should be right here in the Seed Trading Forum. The beginner forums can be accessed by non-subscribers, and the free seed is for subscribers only, right?

Maybe you can post a link to it in the Beginner veg, flower, etc forums, but make it clear the offer is only open to paid members?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Kelly...I did post there and I try to remember to go back and bump them all up so they can be found so I will be glad when I hear from Admin with any ideas they have....

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I think the whole thing is that us older ones need to remember unless it is a newbie thing not to actually chat on it. That way it wouldn't get quite so lost if at all. I know we all do it and we shouldn't with just chitter chatter. It causes the newbie to get lost more than anything.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Actually it is the lack of chatter that is letting the thread get lost. With no one chatting it goes to the bottom of the forums. Thank You for all the ideas though imput always encouraged!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

or simply restrict chatter to the topic of the thread

Good Afternoon my chattering friends!

Hope you've had a good day. Just a wave and I'm back to work. Hope to visit later. :)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

any of you ladies have extra Canna rhizomes? if so please dmail me :)

Hey you guys, I just got an e-mail from the aquatics place where I buy my water lilies and water lotus and supplies and they said they are setting up their website to give everyone who wins an auction from a 10% discount on anything they buy from them. Isn't this nice? They will give me a code later next week when it is finished and the winner will get not only the seeds for the auction, but a code to use on their site. If you purchase anything (and they have really nice ALL kind of plants) you will get discounted at the check out point by entering the code. I'm excited. POND lovers, this is for you. It's a great site anyway, I love their plants.

Wow Mekos That's great!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

darn, now I wish i had a pond!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

me too :^(

Hey you guys, I just added a coupon for 25.00 off an order of 50.00 from Gurney's seed and nursery.(the auction)And Gurney's is having a big sale, right now, but got to use it by Sept. 9th.- by mail or phone order or online order. Just thought I'd let you know.
Edited to say:
Cue, Pull the seed pod from the datura as it dries( yellowish or brownish color), store in paper bag. Lots of seeds inside it,( but when it dries it will stick you when you try to open it.)Has little sharp points to protect the seeds.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 6:24 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.