CLOSED: Seed Junkie Chit Chat - Newbies Welcome 08/22/09

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jamie - not much green here for lasagna beds either, not until fall and it starts to cool off. It's really humid and yucky right now that the sun is out. Potted up a banana tree I just got. He should like this weather just fine - lol. The air is freash and clean but very heavy :^(

If we get any more, I'll send it your way . . . For now I need to be greedy and keep it all since we haven't had rain since February . . .

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Where is that Seray hiding out at? She sent me a surprise today!

Hey Mechelle

Glad you got it. Hope it travelled well. Always worry about them. :)

Been catching up with: Work, House, Garden, Chores LOL Back to it. See ya later.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hey, the branch was broke off about an inch from the top of the bag. Will it still make it? What is it?

Hi Mechelle

That is a sweet almond Bush. Smells wonderful white flowers. Tropical. I trimmed it to send to Hollyhock. ROTFL You'll like it. Plant it in a big pot and plug it pot and all in the ground. When winter comes pull the pot up and put it in the barn. Trim it back it gets big and full of blooms.

Here's the info: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59091/

LOL Hollyhock you have dmail. And a plant rooting for you. :)

Arejay when you get that seed box I sent you please send me back my brains that I mistakenly included. Thanks so much.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Michelle and Seray - That's too cute!

Kelly - Go ahead be greedy. I know how I would be right now...notice I didn't offer a bit of my 30 seconds...lol...Yes your banana is probably soaking it up...what kind is it? how old is he? Where ya going to put him?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

The banana is a Gran Nain - edible banana tree . . . I've had it about 3 weeks maybe. It's now in a big pot and has already gotten 2 new leaves since I got it. Waiting for fall and depending on how much it's growing, I may put it in the ground if I can determine a suitable spot - lol. They will grow in large containers, maybe 20 gallon - they just won't get as big. I think these can get 8' tall!

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

WoW! Do you get Banana's there? I know you can here but, the winter has to be very mild or something...I'm not really sure what it is. I know you have to protect it from wind here because we get an occational whopper off the gulf but, they can be so pretty and interesting. Are you growing it for the landscape or fruit?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

We had a tornado...a real one. Kelly did you here that? In Maine.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Robin -

I'm not Kelly but, is everyone okay? I can't believe you had one in Maine! That ain't supposed to happen!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Jamie...I dont really know. I know there were greenhouses lost south of me 8 of them. I havent seen the news yet. That never happens here...

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, Robin.. next, you'll be getting our Hurricanes too! Just Kidding, they arent fun at all.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

THere is a warning for tonight for hurricanes.....
I want to say thank you to Sharon Perrenniallyme, Meekos Jan, Faye Dahtzu, and Linnell. Your seeds arrived and they are great all of them....Hey does everyone know there are some black bat seed in there?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

What is a peanut x Rosalla HYB? Looks like a Brug seed

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 7:05 PM

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Yep Robin those bat seeds got discussed for a bit. I'm happy to tell you all I'm half done with clearing around the logs and should be done with that job tomorrow and ready to stary laying carboard and layers down in my lasagna bed.
Glad you are OK after the tornado Robin. They've hit close here a few times. Probably where that nice cool breeze is coming from.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Mindy...

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow, Robin. A real tornado? Glad everything is OK with you. When I first read it I though it said tomato - lol. Long day I guess.

Jamie - we can grow actual real bananas here believe it or not. They are water and fertilizer hogs and need to be protected from wind. That's why I haven't decided if I'll put it in the ground yet. I really would like bananas, but the tree will be pretty either way. Out here, because of our summer sun, it really needs to be planted on the east side of a house or something where it gets PM shade (which is not an option for me in the ground). Some peeps out here plant it next to a west facing wall which I am considering.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Keep an eye on the news. I'm glad you are well at least. Has the news said anything about anymore?

There was one in Salt Lake City when I lived in Utah and the people that ran through tents at on out door show warning people said people looked at them like they had a third eye or something because it just wasn't supposed to happen.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hurricane watch now I hear....this stuff never happens here...

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Okay - Robin you have a basement in Maine right? lol...Don't think I'm a alarmist please! Just remember if they say go GO...it's that important NOT to be brave...if you don't have a basement and interior bathroom or closet...this isn't something to play around with hun. You don't have to sit in it but, if you hear something coming or if they say it's on the ground near you go.....they aren't fun to ride out in a basement but, probably a lot less if you're not...

Hugs, hugs and more hugs!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Jamie...I wont be brave...I will hide.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you Robin! I feel silly being so protective from here...just can't help it...:o)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hi All, back from yard sales and the big livestock round up! Crabby, the calf, is back home with her momma now. We cheated and loaded the mom up in the trailer, and hauled the cow to where baby was. She followed Mom right into the corrals and trailer. I think she was tired of being an orphan! And boy, did I score big at the sales. Well, one sale. They had plants! Got a blue spirea, hyssops, mints, daisies, all together 9 different kinds of plants, and they were so nice they threw in a whole bunch of seeds and a couple zuchinni and 2 little fuzzy plants, ( have no clue what they are) and then they told me to come back in about 3 weeks when plants are closer to being done for the season and collect all kinds of seeds! They had a beautiful yard! Spent 1/2 hour just walking around their yard looking at all their plants! But, alas, no trellises, goth or otherwise, so will still have to figure something out there.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Skellogg you are a true seed junkie!! A great lawnsaler too.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Great score Skellogg!!! All those plats , wow!.. but.. no trellis...LOL.. darn!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I'll keep looking for us, Cue! Something will show up for you, at least, as Halloween is right aroung the corner, and someone will have a halloween yard decoration that would be perfect for you!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL.. halloween IS my favorite Holiday.. planning on buying some of those Plastic cauldrons to use as planters...ROTFL... seriously. There will be tons of stuff for me to grab and use int he garden come halloween!

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Skellog,

Great job! Congrats on plants and seed source!!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh! And I only spent $10.00. WooHoo! I'm not even sure what they all are! Now I'll have to go back to collect seeds just so I can find out what I have!
Robin, I lived in TX for several years when I was younger. Don't mess with tornados. Never could figure out why those peeps always went outside to watch the darn things instead of taking shelter. Guess they wanted to see how close they were, but I am much to chicken! Been a very strange weather year for alot of the country.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

lol. Skellogg.. next time you see someone go outside to watch.. you say 'You go ahead and watch, Im going to the cellar.. I'll be sure to identify your body when its all over for a proper burial..." and then go back inside...ROTFL

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

LOL! Too funny, cue. Love it, and you can bet I will. Apparently, I just know too many strange people. Hmmmm... so what does that say about me, I wonder? So much for making friends here! LOL!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I take being labeled as 'strange' as a compliment!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

skellogg - are you saying you're strange? You'll fit right in . . .

loca

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

She sure does - wears it with pride!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

darn skippy

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Never did like "normal" people. Just don't know how to act around them or what to say! LOL!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

me either... 'normal' is.. boring...LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

and we're anything but boring here . . .

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

true dat sista seed junkie *attempt a high five*

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

right back at ya'

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.