CLOSED: Seed Junkie Chit Chat - Newbies Welcome 08/22/09

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Ever notice how all us abnormal people hang out on the same threads? Only the fun stuff for us!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Did we get all the zones covered ? This thread moves so fast I can hardly find it much less keep up!!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Good morning everyone. Yep Robin the zones are all covered. Haven't been any new singups in zones 6-8 since the newbie hunt while you were gone.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Mindy. Just checking. Don't want to forget anyone.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

You are welcome Flower told us to check at least once a day

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Yeah I did. LOL I have been checking too and not had any new ones in my zone. This could get boring for me .LOL I am so use to having to stay on top of them to keep up and now I don't have much to do. Oh well just gives me more time to set here and watch you gals talk and laugh my head off at some of the stufff. arejay so glad to hear your ok . They say some of the Hurricanes are headed up the east coast so you stay alert and run if need be. I don't want to lose one of my bestest buddies.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Robin,

Glad to see you this morning. Hope the night wasn't too scary. Thought about you alot. I know you weren't hit by bill but, the things huricanes can spin off can be just as scary if, not more. Has everything settled around there today?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Jamie. I am fine it is very quiet here this morning. The air is still very heavy but no unusual weather today.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Good morning all! Haven't any newbies here in zones 3/4 either, but I'm on the lookout for them! Did find cabindweller, not on the member list, but if you type in name, shows a paid member til 2010. Have any of you had this happen before? Apparently, just slipped thru the cracks somehow? Anyway, sent them an email anyway, so hope that's OK!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh, and Robin, glad you're okie dokie, but keep a watch out anyway! Darned weather anyway!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

It is ok how ever you find them !!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Morning everyone. Slept kind late (for me) this morning... as some of you know... but feel much better now. Thank you to those that sat up with me a little later than you normally would have, you dont know how much I appreciate it!

Wokeup this morning to a very cloudy sky... hopefully we will get a little rain, but not the downpour we had a few days ago. Swale in my front yard is still full!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Flowerfantasy,

I live in 6a and my newbie envy is going out in tomorrow's mail. That'll give you something to do. :)

I have a question. DH and I spent the day yesterday clearing out the overgrown mess in our back yard so I can do my lasagna beds. Can I use the leaves from the bushes we cut down in my compost?

Thanks!

Morning everyone

Big storms here last night. Cooler today. Sounds like everyone had a great day except Robin who was dodging tornados.

Lollyjean you can use leaves from your bushes. I cut down my bloomed out cannas for a layer in mine. Any green will do. Weeds with seeds be careful that could come back to haunt you. LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

hi lolly - yes, you canuse the leaves you cut down.. they will be a 'green' layer.. or you can set them aside and let them dry out and turn brown and use them as a 'brown' layer, depending on what you need. you dont need near as much 'green' as you do brown'.. just make sure you remove them from branches tho.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 9:52 AM

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, There is a ton of them so I suppose I can use some as my green now and let some dry to use as a brown?

I'll be careful to weed out the weeds. :)

Let's grow one of these next!!! Please please LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029148/

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Seray great find!!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Ok.. for those of you just joining the 'Lasagna Bed Brigade', here is a list of the green, brown.. and the do's and dont's of lasagna bedding:

GREENS

Grass clippings
Tea bags
Vegetable and fruit Scraps (No Onion)
Coffee grounds and Paper Filters
Old bedding annuals
Pond Algae
Peat moss
Fresh leaves and fresh hedge trimmings

BROWNS

Finely crushed eggshells
Cereal Boxes - shredded
Corrugated cardboard packaging - shredded
Toilet tissue and paper towel roll tubes - shredded
Dried leaves and hedge clippings
Straw and hay
Ashes from wood, paper, lumpwood charcoal
Cotton threads
Cotton string
Dryer lint (from natural fibers only like cotton or wool)
Shredded Newsprint ( no shiny inserts)

What NOT To Put In Your Lasagna Bed

Meat or meat by-products ( cheese, eggs, etc)
Grease
Salty Cooked Food
Pet Waste
Citrus or citrus peels
Onion
Any grass or hedge clippings that have recently been treated with insecticides or fungicides (if using bed to grow veggies)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Cue!! That is great!! She really is a genius you know!!

Seray......

Thumbnail by arejay59

I'm finally making progress on mine. Here's the 3rd layer.

Thumbnail by

They are pretty aren't they. Glad they're doing well for you.

When you get tired of the cold Arejay. Dale Chihuly has a show in Miami. Fairchild Tropical Gardens Same time as the Aroid show.

Wish I could go. We may have to send Cue to be our rep. :)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats is a great idea Seray I think Cue should run over and introduce us. I am sure they want to know all about us right?

I'm sure they would considering every aroid vendor will be there to sell to new junkies like us. We are the largest most intelligent most likable gardening network in the world are we not? LOL Who better to represent us than Cue aka Goth Girl aka HP of Brugmansia Tribe.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

I vote yes...R u packed and ready to go with the intro Cue??

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Morning All!

Had a great day yardsaleing yesterday. Found some beautiful purple coneflowers planted in 1 gallon pots for, get this - $3.00 each! I bought 5 of them for quick transplants into my perenial patch.

Also picked up some scaled dollhouse furniture for my granddaughter Olivia. My "Grandpa" project started with the purchase a couple of years ago of a nicely constructed scaled dollhouse which was old, but I have been constantly remodeling since. It's been a real project. New paint, roofing, drapes,carpeting, furniture, you name it, I'm working on it. This thing is almost as complicated as working on a real house! It's fun working with her on it though, and the furniture will fit in nicely.

Everybody have a great Sunday!

Al

What a great grandpa project Al!

I've helped build architectural models and I know the detail that goes into it. Doll houses have to be way more fun. Nice coup on the coneflowers.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ok peeps.. i created an entrire thread for the 'Lasagna Brigade'... come on over and check it out!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030412/

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

seray I don't have a place big enough to grow one of those as much as I would like to have one though. That is gorgeous.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Cue-

Seed question in your dmail...

Hi Flower

That is so cool isn't it? Wish my greenhouse was big enough.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't think I even have enough ground out here to build a GH big enough for it. LOL

Cue: This is the spathe from the Colocasia Antiquorum Illustris. Same one in your goth garden.

Thumbnail by
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for
Jerodsmom
Gardengus
Pensacola Garden
Will you dmail me when you see this?
Thank You Robin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

New Auction:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030568/

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

cue, that is a beautiful bouquet. I cut my butterfly ginger tonight. I'm going to put it in the vase now. Had it outside so the ants can go away.

Savannah, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone! I'm a newbie in Savannah,GA.
I just got some camelia cuttings and want to propogate . The camelia is named after my grandmother and my aunt gave them to me from the only surviving bush...so I really want success with rooting...any suggestions?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi jules!

you can take a 6 - 8 inch cutting and strip all but the top leaves, dip in root hormone and put in good potting mix and keep moist.

for tips on propagating specific plants, you may want to visit the 'propagation Forum' located here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/propagation/all/

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 9:58 PM

Welcome Jules

If you can't find the info tonight you might call the Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens tomorrow and talk to one of the Master Gardeners there. They can help you. They have a newly planted camelia display. It's exciting that you have the cuttings from you grandmother.

Here's a link to their site where you'll find their number:

http://www.ugaextension.com/bamboo/

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad to see you made it Jules here is the link to the forum Cue spoke of... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/propagation/all/My bet is when Jan(meekos gets done at the auction she will have more suggestions also her auction is here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030568/ she is collection seeds for newbies again.
Robin

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.