CLOSED: 2nd Annual Tomato and Pepper Seed Swap

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'd be interested in some of the corn seed! Corn grows well in Iowa!! Thanks!

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I mailed mine today.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I received seeds from "lenabeannz".

Yes, Claire,
Isn't "Corn" actually the State Flower of Iowa?

(:-)> Potagere

Hopkinsville, KY

Mine were mailed today.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Bookerc---I will look for the post awhile back on how to make your own hot sauce with your over abundance. Sounds easy and so good.
Jim---so glad you entered the 1st pic.
Sue

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Okay---Here is one thread --still looking for the hot sauce. But I made this jalapeno mustard and it is wonderful.
davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1026160/

I will look for the sauce now.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I looked all over and can't find it. Wish I had saved it because i want to make it in a year when I get a good pepper crop. Just a very few this year. I actually bought the peppers for the mustard. Hate when that happens.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Tee hee! Well said Potagere! It might as well be the state flower because that's all you see for miles and miles! That and the soybean flower could share the spotlight!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Jim, I never knew there were so many varieties of habanero. I've grown two, the basic kind you find at big box stores, and the aji dulce, which was milder. My husband loves them!

Angie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED. WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW PARTICIPANTS.
<><>
PLEASE GET YOUR SEEDS IN THE MAIL WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS, AS I MUST RECEIVE YOUR SEEDS BY THE OCTOBER 30TH DEADLINE. IT CAN TAKE TWO WEEKS FOR MAIL FROM THE US AND OVERSEAS.
<><>
IF YOU PREVIOUSLY SIGNED UP AND CHANGED YOUR MIND ABOUT PARTICIPATING, PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO WE DO NOT HOLD UP THE SWAP WAITING FOR SEEDS THAT ARE NOT COMING.
<><>
THANKS

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 9:38 PM

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

mine are in the mail :)

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Mailed mine yesterday (10/14)! Can't wait!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to try the corn seed, please. Thanks.

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Since this was closed I wasn't sure whether to put my request for corn seeds here or in an email. I put it in an email but, think maybe I should have put it here. I would think I should only be included though, if you don't get enough as I am getting eggplants. Thank You.

Hugs, Jamie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I received seeds from "mooiemoestuin".

By all means, please keep posting your updates here. I hope I haven't confused anyone by closing the thread. I just didn't want people that haven't signed up thinking this swap was still open. I doubt they would scroll through all of the posts to find that out.

If it's easier for everyone for me to mark the thread "open" again.....just say the word.

Thanks.....Heather

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Closed worked fine for me. Hope you get my seeds soon.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Heather, your doing fine with this swap. Don't know how your going to keep up with 100+ people sening you seeds.
Keep up the good work!
LK

NOPE! It's CLOSED.
Those of us already here will figure it out.
We will!
Opening it will just confuse matters,
in my never humble opinion, anyway
(Can I get a new Web acronym started: IMNHO?)

~Potagere

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL Jim. I like that. IMNHO

Closed works for me. Shows that you are no longer accepting new swappers. Would it help to open a new chat thread for discussions among swap participants? Or is it easier to continue conversations here?

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

oh yeah! I agree! I'm just a bubble off of plumb the last few days...lol...and got confused! Not an odd state of affairs for me! Heather, you are doing a super job...I was just out of step. All caught on now and have mailed my seeds as of yesterday...didn't mean to make you think you needed to change anything. I think everyone else got it but, me...lol...You are doing great, Honey, just as you are!!!!! Thank you for everything!

Hugs,

Jamie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for your feedback eveyone.

I'd like to keep this post running for a bit if you don't mind. There's still a number of people that I've followed up with to see if they are still participating or have sent in there seeds. I haven't heard back from them yet, so keeping this thread alive might be the best way to keep the lines of communication open.

Once I've heard back from everyone, it would probably make sense to start a new thread. You must be getting tired of scrolling way down by now :)

I still have corn to give away. Don't be shy.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5b)

Before the thread closes--

I need some volunteers to help me with a grow-out of some F3 seeds. If you can spare the room for even one plant, I'd appreciate your help. Perhaps you can enlist a friend or neighbor. The upside--possibly a new open-pollinated variety. The downside--have to stay in touch and (maybe) save seeds.

But let's not clog up this thread. D-mail me and I'll tell you more.

Russ

North, TX

Heather,
It's not a big deal to scroll down, (IMNHO-teehee)

If you just click-on the "Skip to New" button at the top of the thread, on the right in green letters, it takes you straight to the new replies. I learned that trick from another DG member, I'm definitely not a wiz on the computer!

I'm thinking I will take some corn seeds also if there are still extra's... but, like Jamie, only if there are leftovers because I'm also getting some of the eggplant seeds.

*I'm also very thankful for all the hard work that Heather is doing to put this trade together*

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 9:45 AM

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Just wondering if my seeds made it? It's been a week. I know international mail takes longer. . .

Made the mistake of browsing the Tomato Growers Supply website this morning, and had to slap my hand to keep from sending an order. LOL I need to develop some self-control!

Angie

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bookerc1,

I haven't received your seeds yet. Will post updates here as they arrive.

I won't be home until later tonight, so will post an update if I get any new arrivals from D.G. members in today's mail.

Thanks...Heather

Bad girl, Angie!!!

Well, I [eyes lowered] must admit I do the same thing!
I filled my basket at tomatofest.com but have forced myself to not send the order. Yeah, I sometimes have to slap myself when I am using the site to learn about a tomato I don't know and the "Panier" notice is flashing!!

But I'm just waiting to see what arrives from this trade and from The Big Swap The Netherlands.

Omigosh!!! This just reminded me that I need to send Heather some "Wants" and "Don't Wants"!! Hope it's not too late!
Obviously, I DON'T want what I sent; and "Paul Robeson" is top of my "WANT' List!!!

Gosh, I am even more disorganized than Ms Marta accuses me of being! At least she doesn't really understand how I get the seeds for all the veggies I grow!!

Thumbnail by Potagere
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Aw, Jim, why did you have to go and mention ANOTHER seed source? You realize I'm going to have to go check that one out, too, of course. And you call me bad. . . Ah, well, I suppose temptation builds character. Or something like that.

Paul Robeson, huh? I'll have to look for that one. I've heard the name, but know nothing about it.

Yeah, well, you did it to ME!
I never heard of Tomato Growers Supply before you mentioned it
It looks a lot like another site that I do know!
Good stuff, here!

BUT, we MUST be patient!
I just love the Black tomatoes.
Because I grow a lot of chiles, and the black tomatoes have this unique "smokey" flavour, they make GREAT salsa!
And, I keep hearing that "Paul Robeson" is about the best of these black tomatoes!

Oh, I can hardly wait for my swap packet!!
I really MUST get my lists off to Heather, huh?

~Potagere

Thumbnail by Potagere
Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, dear. It is a black? Because I have a particular weakness for black tomatoes. Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry. . .all among my favorites. I sent several packs of Black Cherry and Cherokee Purple for the swap, in fact. Love the complexity and richness of the flavor! The only black I haven't been impressed with was Black Brandywine. Hardly any fruits, and they were mushy and mealy.

Sigh. Guess I need to make a specific request for Paul, too, then. And now that everyone has seen your post, they'll ALL be wanting Paul Robeson. Such is the life of a celebrity (not the Celebrity tomato--it was pretty mediocre, IMHO). Demand just creates even more demand. LOL

Ever tried Aunt Ruby's German Green? I'm not generally a green tomato fan, but it was one of my favorites this year. Many of my tomatoes, even my favorites, were relatively watery-tasting (due to a cold, very wet summer in IL?), but Aunt Ruby's was bursting with flavor.

Darn you, Jim, I just spent WAY too much time on tomatofest.com, and my wish list has at least quadrupled. I'd like to go through "Gary's Favorites" and order one packet of each.

Does anyone ever do a Tomato Seed Co-op? I need about 5 of each variety!

Angie

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 4:58 PM

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

What a gorgeous tomtato! Which variety is that?

Paul Robeson is wonderful, I hope you get some seeds through the swap. I'm pretty sure I sent some PR in.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5b)

I think a seed co-op is a great idea!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, BeeBonnet, are these the articles on using hot peppers to make sauce? DH would love these. Definitely on my to-do list!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1543/

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1544/

Angie

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Drat, drat, drat, I have an order for TomatoFest sitting in my cart for $48 worth: the book The Great Tomato Book and 3 seed packs, Gary's Favorites Collection, and two more packs from the sale seeds (including Paul Robeson.)

Someone, quick, tell me not to hit send! I do NOT need 14 packs, each with 30 seeds! Especially in the midst of a seed swap in which I'll undoubtedly receive many fantastic varieties.

Just last weekend I finished clearing out my tomato beds, and I was so relieved to be done with them! And look at me already. Sigh. I am so addicted.

I will be strong. I will resist. I will (just possibly) bump the mouse and accidentally send the order anyway. LOL
Angie

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I fell victim to Tomatofest late last winter when it was too late for me to even start them for the season. $42 as I recall. Couldn't live without them. Now that I know where all the good seeds are, there's just no being satisfied. I need a cure most of all.

toronto, Canada

Potager,
I have been ordering seeds for over a month now :-)) Cannot help myself, and I have a few seeds of Paul Robeson for you if you don't get them in this swap let me know. KD

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, Twiggy, if you are looking for a cure, I fear you are keeping the wrong company. Nothing but enablers and co-dependents here!

I have resisted thus far. LOL The breaking point will be when I know my husband is due to arrive home. He could care less about the tomatoes, and thinks I've gone a bit over the edge. :)

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Has anyone sent in seeds for the Pink Potato Top (Limbaugh) that Critter was sharing earlier this year? I missed out on them, and am really curious what the consensus was. They are hanging out in my cart at Tomato Fest even now. Also Jaune Flamme, Paul Robeson, Pruden's Purple, Nyagous, Ananas Noire, and Moskovich. I think I might be leaning a bit too far in the black tomato direction.

Bordentown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Bookerc1: I sent some Jaune Flamme (Flammee?...I've seen it both ways. Should we ask Potagere the correct spelling?)

A question...I sent mine right at the deadline (okay, a day late) and took my bubble envelope right up to the window of the main post office to get it to its destination ASAP. The postal worker put a green sticker on it (something about Customs) and asked me what was inside. Is there a chance it will be refused at the border? I told him the truth about its contents.

Denise

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nisinj,

Don't worry about the customs declaration. Your seeds will come through customs wihout any problem.

Thanks...Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.