CLOSED: 2nd Annual Tomato and Pepper Seed Swap

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I received seeds from "gardadore".

This message was edited Sep 29, 2009 9:59 AM

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

My seeds are ready to go and will send them today.

Sue

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

I have a few more I am looking for, but they should be ready to go soon!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone,

As a friendly reminder for those outside of Canada. If you are sending funds by paypal to pay for return postage, please make sure you are sending funds as a "personal payment" and ensure that you are paying for it with funds from your bank account or cash balance. I am not a merchant, so cannot accept credit or debit card payments or anything you have marked as a "commercial purchase".

Also, make sure you add a note to your paypal payment with your d-garden id, so I know who it came from.

Thanks....Heather

This message was edited Sep 29, 2009 7:31 PM

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

If you pay with your Paypal account, be sure to look for the Personal tab. It's rather hard to see.
Beebonnet

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone,

I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a conference and won't be back at my computer until October 4th. I'll respond to any emails or signup requests on October 4th.

If I get mail before I head to the airport tomorrow morning, I'll post an update if I receive any seed envelopes. Otherwise, I'll update you when I return.

Thanks....Heather

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just getting back and no envelopes from d-garden members.

Will keep you posted.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Heather, I'm still collecting seeds but will get them mailed to you by the 14th or sooner.
Hope you had a good conference!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the updates everyone. The conference was great. Now I need to catch up on my sleep :) Way too much socializing but I met some wonderful people.

Heather, I sent my seeds today. They won't go out until tomorrow, as I missed the daily pickup, but postman says they should take 4 days. I hope so, as I don't want to be late. Sending postage by PayPal and want/don't want lists by Dmail.
Cheers, Potagere

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

today I received seeds from "cmoxon".

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a great variety of seeds we've received so far.

Even though we're just starting to get envelopes in (I've received envelopes from 22 out of 130 participants so far)...we've received 131 different kinds of tomatoes and 83 different kinds of peppers. That's not counting any bonus seeds that were sent in from a couple of very generous donors.

From what I've seen so far, our variety is going be even greater than last years swap.

If you've been lurking but haven't joined us yet, you still have until October 14th to sign up for this swap, provided you can mail your seeds, no later than October 15th. I must receive your seeds by October 30th.

Thanks.....Heather

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 9:14 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I received seeds from "beebonnet'.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Oh, good. Now I can relax. We are leaving for a week next Fri. so had to get organized way before then.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone,

As mentioned in a prior posting, a very kind donor has sent in some eggplant seeds as bonuses. I just got the seeds in and what a great selection. Several of you have already responded to my prior posting indicating you were interested in eggplant seeds. Preference for variety will first be given to those that responded earlier.

Here's what we're going to do.

Of the varieties listed below, can you let me know your top two picks and two backup varieties just to be safe.

For those that responded earlier, can you please let me know your preferences no later than October 13th, so I can update everyone else on what's left. You can either post here or send me a private message.

For those that responded earlier, you're guaranteed to get your top two picks provided I hear back from you by the 13th. Whether or not I can give out more will depend on the total number of respondents in the swap.

Here's the list:

•Rosa Bianca (75 DTM) - Italian Heirloom. Very Mild. Georgeous white & light purple.
•Kermit (60 DTM) - 2" round Green Thai variety. Green/white stripes.
•Pingtung (65 DTM) - Up to 12". Very productive. Heat and humidity tolerant
•Black Beauty (80 DTM) - nearly 100 years old and still hard to beat. Large dark purple/black.
•Prosperosa (73DTM) - Italian Heirloom. Mild, productive, medium size. Dark purple/white cap.
•Slim Jim (60 DTM) - Long, Thin. Harvest at 5". Italian, very early and prolific.
•Fengyuan Purple (65 DTM) - Slender to 12". Thin skin.
•Florida High Bush (85 DTM) - large to 10". Tall plants keeps fruit off the ground.

Thanks....Heather

P.S. If you forgot to respond earlier, and are interested in eggplant seeds, please let me know what you're interested in. Keep in mind, I have offered these seeds to all swap participants (even in other forums), so they will be given out on a first come first serve basis.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2009 8:31 AM

This message was edited Oct 10, 2009 5:13 PM

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi Heather---I would love to have some eggplant seeds of Prosperosa and Pingtung if there are any left. Thanks so much---
Sue

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Reread and here are my third and forth picks.
Slim Jim and Fengyuan Purple.

Hi, Heather,
My 1st 2 picks are Kermit and Rosa Bianca
My two backups are Prosperosa and Florida High Bush

Thanks,
Jim

ld like to try the Pingtung, there are any left. Thanks

My seeds will be going out to you on Monday!

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Rosa Bianca and Slim Jim please, with Fengyan Purple and Pingtung as back up. Thanks!

Have my seeds arrived yet?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Lena,

I haven't received your seeds yet. I will let you know when I do

Thanks...Heather

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 6:49 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The official last day for new signups will be October 14th (I will not be able to respond to anyone on the 15th, so had to make the deadline a day earlier than planned).

The last day for indicating your wish for eggplant seeds will also be October 14th. I will be divying them up into the envelopes immediately after the 14th.

Long Beach, CA

Hi, Heather! I mailed my seeds on 10/6th. Hope it gets there soon! I would love ANY eggplant variety (if there's any left). Also, if, there happens to be any cucumber seeds in the mix, I'd be curious to grow some next year.

We have community gardens that our neighborhood association (Wrigley in Long Beach, CA) opened for young people and for people who do not have backyards...they accept plant and seed donations. If there are any 'leftover' seeds that nobody wants, I am sure it would be a boost to the fledgling gardeners come spring :)
http://wrigleygarden.blogspot.com/

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Heather,

Honey. I would like Pingtung and Rosa Bianca. Pingtung seems pretty popular so if that's gone either Florida High Bush or Fengyuan Purple would be my back ups if that makes it easier. Thank you again for doing this.

Hugs...Jamie

This is what happens when you play in Seed Swaps!

The meteo says frost is coming (and it has suddenly turned really cold!) so yesterday I was out harvesting the last of the chiles, sweet peppers and eggplants.

Best,
Potagere

Thumbnail by Potagere
North, TX

Absolutely Magnificent!!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Jim, that picture is just stunning! You grew an incredible variety!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

WOW just Wow!!! You must have been harvesting all day! Your photo is fantastic and you should enter it in the photo contest.

Thanks for the compliments!
Yes, I WAS harvesting just about all day! In the wind and rain from changing weather!
Here's the photo I did enter in the contest.
Jim

Thumbnail by Potagere
Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Wow, Jim, that photo is gorgeous. Such a bountiful harvest. Congratulations!
I just got my final tomato seeds ready, and will mail off my packet tomorrow!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, got my seeds in the mail today. I sent off 15 pkts of tomato seeds, and 6 pkts of pepper seeds. Hope they get there in plenty of time!

Jim, you need to enter the other photo, too! I like the angle, and the background of the table cloth with the reds and the streaky eggplant. Also how there are veggies arranged around the baskets on the table. Just nice composition there!

Angie

Wow Jim, looks liek you will be eating peppers for a bit! Do you make your own salsa?
Heather, my seeds went out today? You will have them soon I hope?

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

I have an overabundance of hot peppers this year, and am trying to figure out what to do with some of them. I planted them for DH, but he's hardly home to eat them anymore!

Suggestions, Jim? (or anyone else)

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

Just beautiful. Do enter the first photo too because I like it best. I think you could sell those photos to somebody. What are the tiny white, yellow and reds in the basket on the right? My son loves the extreme ones and I love growing them for him. They look wicked.

I WILL mail mine tomorrow or bust. I've had my seeds ready for a couple weeks and can't make up my mind what or how many to ask for. This is serious business! I feel like a kid with one chance to write a letter to Santa.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Twiggybuds,

Just to take a little pressure off of you, why don't you mail your seeds tomorrow and you can always send me a d-mail with your wish list a little later. :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Today I received seeds from:

* Potagere
* Allwild818

Thanks....Heather

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Ooooh, if those pictures are any indication, I bet Potagere sent some goodies! :)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You bet he did !!!! Very nice variety

OK, guys, you talked me into it! I'll enter the first photo as well.
Then, somebody has to promise to give me at least 1 vote!
I make salsa, chimichurri, hot sauce, lots of chile all winter long, pork and lamb stews with chile sauces (I'd use goat like in Jamaica, but we can only get that at Christmas time), all kinds of tacos and other Mexican stuff (now that I have pasillas, I'll try some moles this Winter), stuffed peppers, chile poppers, LOTS of Thai foods, all of which require chiles. I'll also be making chile oils for Christmas presents. I eat some fresh (especially the Chocolate Habs --- I just LOVE those things!) and some end up just sitting around looking pretty. Most of these were not ready for this Swap, but I'll have some killer seeds for next year!

~twiggybuds: In the basket on the right, in the 2nd photo, the white peppers next to the pasillas are White Habaneros (the ones in the basket on the left are Peruvian White Habaneros), the little yellow ones are Gold Bullet Habaneros. Both of these are wicked hot! But not as hot as the Chocolate Habaneros in the basket on the left! The small red ones just next to the Gold Bullet Habs are Japones. Medium hot, good in Thai food.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone,

A participant has generously donated some extra commercial corn seed to the participants of this swap.

•Johnny's Seeds: Brand 272A treated F1, Hyprid corn, bicolor, super sweet, xtra tender, 74 days.

We'll have enough for about 10 people, so please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested. First come, first serve. Please note, I will also be posting this offer in the other participating forums.

Thanks.....Heather

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.