August in the garden

(Zone 6a)

Marine Heliotrope, this is my first year SUCESSFULLY growing this from seed!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Cracker Jack marigold for Sally, no clue if we have a tennis ball for comparison so I used the bottom of a coffee cup.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Scherizade Oriental Lily..................ok let me check the spellin on that.............................................

ok, it's actualy spelt 'Scheherazade', like I'm actualy supposed to remember that! But it is none the less pretty just the same. Just started opening this morning.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Mini Rose from the supermarket, this flower is past it's prime

edited so the post makes sense

This message was edited Aug 3, 2009 1:53 PM

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Snapdragons from dollar store seeds.....and guess what? They're FRAGRANT!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

It's a light fruity aroma

this one is streaked!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Zinnia

I really like your's Yardqueen! Most of mine reverted to single...

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Blossom, velveta is good! Hollandaise is too much work! I only bake cookies and cake cuz I can't be bothered to wait for breads to rise.

Standard Scented Geranium, after having it for 3 years I finally realize it's a water guzzler....and thats why it never looked good before! It's even starting to bloom!

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Christchurch, New Zealand

who would a thunk a geranium was a water hog...?
always associated them with dry gardens.
MMM - sparrow grass & hollandaise sauce, yum!
we don't have Velveeta here in NZ.
I know kind of what it is through nice internet friends telling me about it.
Years ago went to a book sale with my ex & he bought a Velveeta cookbook...
little did he realise it was totally useless without the Velveeta!
That was one book I didn't mind leaving behind when I moved on.

(Zone 6a)

Ya, that geranium always looked kind of rough until we got a buch of rain this year and it's been constantly watered. It's never looked better!
It didn't know there was a velveeta cookbook, I have to say I don't like it that much but it's good on pasta or with an egg.

london England, United Kingdom

Beautiful flowers Steven!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous flowers Steven!!

American cheese works good or that cheese you put on crackers that comes in a spray can for the asperagus! Yummy

Right now I an enjoying a bowl of quartered tomatoes with Western salad dressing and parmasan cheese! OMG! YUMMMY!

Holy cows that marigold is huge!

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Terri and Blossom!

I've never had cheese from a spray can...............is it like whipping cream in a can....except it's cheese???
Thanks for the compliment on the marigold! I know I already said this but I got the seeds for the dollarstore! For 50cents! I've found my dollar store seeds grew better then some of the seeds I bought from T&M!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! 50c! Good deal!! I got dime size marigolds! Guess I ought to shoot them and post them here!

Yaaaeh SW, I think its called like Cheese Whiz or some derned thing like that! Its a yellow cheese, also comes as a spread and is soft. You just mix it in the asparrowgus and heat in the micronuker for a few minutes and whaLAH!

(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, I'd love to see your marigolds! I've got some little yellow ones called 'Disco'.

I'll have to keep an eye open for the spray-on cheese whiz. Have you ever had Nutella? A friend of mine loves it but I've never tried the stuff myself.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nope, dont know what nutella is!

Anyway heres a novelty for you, its called rattlesnake master.. not exactly a raging beauty in the garden, but on the prairier here where it grows, makes for great dried floral material later!

Here is one of our colonies of it!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Nutella is really popular in Europe. I have tried it, and it is a nice change from peanut butter. But, I don't use spreads much so rarely buy it.

Christchurch, New Zealand

my Hubby likes Nutella on toast for breakfast - I love chocolate but just can't get my head round having it on bread.
I think I would rather have my chocolate & hazelnut in a slab not a spread.
cheers - Dalfyre

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I have never heard of nutella, now is it chocolate or peanut butter?
Never have used cheese spread either, guess I am really outta the loop or loopy!

We've got an empty jar here, Katie likes it! Nutella is a smooth chocolate and hazelnut spread.
Now that she has her braces on she can't eat hard chocolate.
Those spray cheeses are plastic junk food I think... yuk!

Hibiscus is flowering!

Thumbnail by terriculture

Solidago and daisies..

Thumbnail by terriculture
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Your hibiscus looks a lot like what I call my rose of sharon only mine is double. Lovely as well that you still have daisies!
I thank you for the nutell information, not sure I am much for a chocolate spread.

Thumbnail by haighr

I was thinking that Candee, when I saw yours, maybe the wrong label was in mine when I bought it? LOL
The flowers are quite small compared to everyone elses's Hibiscus!!!

I'm not keen on the chocolate spread either, tooo sickly!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds yukky!
My hibiscus are huge and they have those long stamins, I think you got a rose of sharon there although I think the names are interchangeable. I googled "rose of sharon hibiscus" and a flower just like yours showed up on the results.

So thats what it is! I probably just read Hibiscus ... and thought, gotta have it... LOL
Thanks for the information !!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL I will take my chocolate on a spoon, I will take it how I can get it...I am a choco-holic, that I am!

Marilgolds huh...brother, can ya spare a dime!

LoL! Hi Blossom, we won't be calling you Marie then?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Now those are some tiny marigolds. Very pretty.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Garnished chocolatemint!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Another ten center but in orange!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Guess I better take that chocolatemint down to Herbs!

Your garnished chocolatemint looks great Blossom!

(Zone 6a)

Blossom, I like your Marigolds! And I have the same choco-mint! Mmm Mmm, it smells so good! Except mines planted with something called 'Zulu Warrior'....a blue daisy! Hopefully it makes seeds :D

Terri, I like your dasies although I'm not sure I'm quite ready to see goldenrod blooming!
Your Rose of Sharon is nice too and is ahead of mine! It's also known as Hibiscus syriacus. I'm guessing the one Candee has is probably Hibiscus moscheutos :)

I'm going to have to try Nutella now......I'll go visit my friend and ask for a sandwhich!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

BB you shouldn't have any problem. My chocolatemint started to spread way beyond its desirability. I should have met you before I pulled it all out and got rid of it, you would have been in choco heaven!
Steven, let me know what you think of the Nutella, somehow a choc. nutty sandwich about turns my stomach!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, thanks haighr, its the thought that counts!

Thanks Steven, I don't seem to have many dasies this year, don't know where they went?!!
I have chocolate cosmos perennial, it's at my Mums!! I bought it when I was there but forgot to bring it home with me.
It smells like choclate and the flowers are chocolate coloured too.
Nuttella is nice as a topping on fairy cakes or used as a filling in a sponge cake it's lovely!

(Zone 6a)

Oooo, I've smelled choco cosmos before and it's great but not perennial here. Make sure you get it in your garden....maybe by the door so you can smell it!

BTW, whats a fairy cake? Cake is a favorite food of mine :)

(Zone 6a)

This just opened today. It's a "Fireworks" Dahlia from T&M

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Here's some Four 'O' Clocks

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
(Zone 6a)

Coreopsis.....don't remember the name though....something to do with outer space.

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.