August in the garden

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't believe that summer is almost over. Happy August everyone. Please post your August flowers and other garden treasures here. Below are some blossoms from my Meyers lemon tree. There was a flush of blooms in the spring, then sporadic ones since then.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

The blossoms give off a wonderful fragrance. With the different blooming times, I get lemons that are very young.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Along with lemons that are ready for the picking. If you look closely, you can see that the snails, slugs, or some other critters have make been eating the skin. I normally can find a few lemons almost year round.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

B.'Solid Gold'

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

another view

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Soils, Zone envy here with your lemons! They look really good!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

My Bougainvillea is finally starting to bloom...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

well, here is the Mexican Petunia that was over 7 ft tall. It is now on the ground but still putting out growth and blooms. The heavy rains we had waterlogged the blooms and down it went.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

It won't be coming back up either. It Broke! That is why I am surprised it is still blooming... I guess it's like a Timex...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Some more brug blooms... Three different pinks, but they look pretty much alike...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Closer

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Close up

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Lonely Dahlia. It is just not doing much this year.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

A few Zinnias

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

very bright one, trying to hide

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I have not had a white zinnia before...

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Texas Sage

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Another brug in the back 40

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Salvia 'Blue Bedder'

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Rudbeckia

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Bloom on Clitoria vine that I did no know I had.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Butterfly bush and butter daisy

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

last of my phlox

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

The pink Texas Bluebells are still doing good

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

As are the caladiums and impatiens

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

But my butterfly bed is not doing too well...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh soils, seems with summer waining some of the best blooms are gone, but here we still have quite a few. I cant beleive I got a little asperagus from the bed I just mowed off that had all looked to have gone to seed!

And my rudbeckias.. oh my, stunning and still going strong as we head into our heat and dry time of the year.

And of course, many of my daylilies are still going great guns!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Blossom,

Lovely asparagus and rudbeckia also!

Christchurch, New Zealand

August is the last month of winter for us down under...
still getting frosts but some really bright sunny days make it nice.
Daffs won't be far away, the Tazetta narcissus are blooming, those that I left or missed in my clean up of their over crowded bed.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

my noid iris is doing well.
I have two clumps that are repeat flowering.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

my hellebore is lasting well, I took this pic 'blind' so am pleased it is in focus.
My hellebore is a little shy & hanging it's head - I wasn't about to lie on the frosty ground to get a pic so just pointed the camera up & hoped for the best.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Look at all these beauties in August. So nice to be looking forward to spring dalfyre, just about the time we will all be posting snow shovels !

yardqueen your caladiums look so healthy and happy, mine always are a bit eaten and dirty looking.

Oh a lemon tree must be very pretty - wait, is that a song???

Hey BB how long will your daylilies continue to bloom, mine are likely to soon be finished.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yardqueen, I just adore those bluebells, I wish I could grow them on my pprairie! I cant beleive we got asperagus now! Usually its too late!

Dalfyre, oh,my, daffs, my other heart throb. It will be April before I see them here again!. That Iris is gorgeous. GIMME!!!

Ihave not tried hellebores... Dont think they would survive my floods or the soil.

I would love to do caladiums, but will have to do them in pots!

As for the daylilies, I have some that go until October and some will even rebloom. I have started to mow some of the beds to add woodchips to them and clean them up. Next year we are going after the grass in these beds, I cannot take it any more. Between the grass and the raspberries.. UGH! They make a mess of the beds.

I have some water plants now that I will be adding to the Whats in your bog thread at this link.. you can see them there later today, well, that is if I get to them. I have a busy day ahead!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989396/

london England, United Kingdom

Thanks for the new August thread Dianne. Lovely lemons, It must smell great it your garden!
Yardequeen your garden is still packed with colour and looks beautiful. Love the Bouganvillia, Thanks!
Dalfyre, nice to see your spring flowers are starting, what pretty Hellebore colour.
Blossom, that Asparagus looks delicious, enjoy your dinner!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh yes I meant to ask BB if you put hollandaise on your asparagus? It is really good like that over toast, yum!

(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone! Nice August pictures! I'll need to get out there and take some more pics, A new dahlia opened today and the bloom is rectangular! Very unique!

Anyways, I got to go but I'll be back later!
Steven

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont do hollandaise.. we do velveta cheese! Its excellent on the asperagus...of take a canned spray cheese (Yellow) and put that in it!

Thos brugs are gorgeous. Are they hard to do? That is another one I have not tried.

I am a glutton for ZINNIAS, but this year I had absolutely ZERO! LOL!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

BB,

Thank you! They do take a lot of water and feeding. I don't feed mine as much as I should (once a week!). They need to be wawtched for pests (mostly spider mites) But they do good for me. I have 75 in pots and at least that many more in the ground. A lot of the ones in the ground are small. I am going to dig them up this fall and either pot them or get rid of them. I do not intend to keep them in the ground anymore.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh Steven, I gotta see that???
Cheesy sounds good BB - I know how much I like it on broccoli and cauli!

(Zone 6a)

I just came in from snapping pix so first is the rectangular dahlia!

just have to load it on the computer.....one sec....

err, I don't get it! It looks so "normal" in the pic! I think it's curving it's petals back to hide the fact that it's slightly deformed....

Thumbnail by SW_gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.