Garden Pics: Braving the HEAT to Save our Blooms!!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I love the tiki torch. I want to plant those with some tomato soup next year if I can get them. I think they'd look awesome together.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

tiki torch's friend

Thumbnail by redchic01

I agree! I have tomato soup just on the other side of the tiki torch. So, when I move it in the fall, I'm going to put tiki torch on the opposite side of tomato soup. Then, it wont clash with magnus, what do you think?

Thumbnail by redchic01

Orange to red to purple is a good sequence. I think that would look great.

this was labeled as 'Dobbleganger'. It's a little confused!!

Thumbnail by redchic01

Good, another opinion on that is always reassuring!

Thumbnail by redchic01

I almost forgot my 'water shot' for today!

Thumbnail by redchic01

Excellent water shot!

I think the purple glads are "Purple Flora". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/140529/
I did some google surfing, and I didn't see any other purples that had that same little red stripe in the purple. Blooming bulb carries them. http://www.bloomingbulb.com/p-49075-gladiolus.aspx

Thanks Pony. And, I think that you're right on the glad. If not, I bet that it's close enough that no one will know the differance!! Thanks for looking for that . I will have to bookmark that link and track it down when I get my budget figured out! YUK!!
I've never heard of that company, but they seem all right.

I've had them recommended to me before, and I'm on their email list. They have some decent sales sometimes. I haven't purchased from them yet, though.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

A new one opened
" Hyluster"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This one is almost there
"Painted Lady"

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I love purple, Dark

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

or light. Any purple will do

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Love it................ LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Tilly.... Those are all very pretty! I really like the colors of that first dahlia.

Thumbnail by redchic01
(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Bunches of gorgeous pics while I was gone! I am so drooling over the coreopsis and the echies...I will definitely be adding a few more next spring! It would take me forever to comment on all of the pics I really liked, so I am going to bow out gracefully and just say to everyone "beautiful and keep them coming!"

We had and exhausting but wonderful fishing trip, and came back with our limit in salmon, as well as quite a bit of bottom fish. I know it's not a flower, but this is my trophy from the trip...the biggest salmon I have ever caught... a 29 pound Chinook.

Mom caught a 26 pounder the day before, so we each got the glory of "fish of the day" on the boat. Kinda fun to gloat about it when there are only four gals and 24 or so guys!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And my ugly fish of the trip.....a 36 pound ling cod that my brother had to help me land. I had hooked a rock cod, and somewhere on the way up, my ling latched on to the rock cod. When I pulled him up to the point that I could see him, the ling was just hanging on...no hooks involved. Ward managed to scoup him up in the net before he decided to let go and take off!

At least we are going to have lots of nummy fish at the roundup!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

That's a mighty fine looking salmon. Nice catch! :)

Whoops- you were posting the second one while I was typing. That cod looks delicious too! ;D

This message was edited Aug 17, 2009 5:52 PM

We fish off of Langara Island in the north end of the Queen Charlotte Islands. The beauty of the surroundings and the abundance of wildlife is a big part of our love for this trip.

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Eugene, OR

Beautiful pictures everyone I agree with Julie too many to comment on.

Nice catch Julie!! I caught a 29 lb dorado once, that was fun. Kind of ruined for trout. LOL

So now back to the garden....

Had kind of a bummer of a weekend so I didn't get many garden pics taken, but I couldn't resist this one of my echie. It was full of bees all day, and I loved watching them because each flower seemed to have it's own bee. I didn't get a pic at it's busiest, but this kind of gives you the idea!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Thanks Pony! I am trying to figure out the best way to prepare the cod on the BBQ for roundup. My favorite is deep fried and there is no way I would take that on for bunches of people, so we are going to find another recipie that sounds good.

Sally, LOL! Yup, after you have pulled in a big fighter, the lake fish just don't seem as challenging! I still love walleye fishing though.....just have to remember not to set the hook quite as agressively!

Mmmm.. yeah, deep fried cod is delicious, but not practical for a big crowd. Maybe foil packets with lemon and herbs?

Dang, I'm hungry now. :D

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice Fish

Rj..... happy to hear that you had such a good and successful fishing trip! that's great. Good looking fish too!

OK.... it's getting time for a new thread again. that's great. Any ideas for a name this time? I like Katies idea from last time, that I didn't see before starting this thread. Any other thoughts? I'm not much of a creative writer, so I'd love to hear them!

"Products of our Passions"

"Late Summer Beauty"

I like those two RJ!

Any other ideas? I'm probably not going to get around to it until late tomorrow morning.

Just as an FYI, here's a cut and paste of a special weather statement issued for Western Oregon. I'm not sure how far north into Washington this is supposed to go.

Issued by The National Weather Service
Portland, OR
8:33 pm PDT, Mon., Aug. 17, 2009

... ANOTHER HOT SPELL THIS WEEK OVER SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON...

ONE MORE HOT SPELL HAS BEGUN WHICH WILL CONTINUE THROUGH MID WEEK. A HEAT ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT TUESDAY FOR THE INTERIOR OF SOUTHWEST WASHINGTON AND NORTHWEST OREGON... WHERE TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE MID 90S. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR WEDNESDAY FOR THE SAME AREA... WHERE TEMPERATURES WILL APPROACH OR POSSIBLY EVEN REACH 100 DEGREES.

BELOW IS A COMPARISON BETWEEN FORECAST HIGHS AND RECORD HIGHS TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY FOR A SHORT LIST OF LOCATIONS IN OUR FORECAST AREA. THE MAIN LOCATION THAT HAS THE BEST CHANCE OF SETTING NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES THIS WEEK IS THE PORTLAND AIRPORT.

AT ASTORIA... ON TUESDAY THE FORECAST IS 78 WHILE THE RECORD IS 82... ON WEDNESDAY THE FORECAST IS 80 WHILE THE RECORD IS 91.

AT HILLSBORO... ON TUESDAY THE FORECAST IS 94 WHILE THE RECORD IS 97... ON WEDNESDAY THE FORECAST IS 98 WHILE THE RECORD IS 101.

AT PORTLAND... ON TUESDAY THE FORECAST IS 94 WHILE THE RECORD IS 93... ON WEDNESDAY THE FORECAST IS 99 WHILE THE RECORD IS 94.

AT SALEM... ON TUESDAY THE FORECAST IS 95 WHILE THE RECORD IS 97... ON WEDNESDAY THE FORECAST IS 99 WHILE THE RECORD IS 98.

AT EUGENE... ON TUESDAY THE FORECAST IS 94 WHILE THE RECORD IS 98... ON WEDNESDAY THE FORECAST IS 98 WHILE THE RECORD IS 100.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

They downgraded our temps the last couple days. I'm glad I'm most of the way through the watering.
RC - I vote for "Late Summer Beauty", it's a good one.

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

Rarejem-great fish! Ling cod is one of the best eating fish......... Ah but the salmon. Glad you guys had such a successful trip!

Eugene, OR

OMG....just say Ling cod and my mouth waters!!! LOL

lol

Wow, It was sure quiet here today. Is that good or bad? I hope that all was/is well with all!

So it's time for a new thread!

And.....we're off to the new thread! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028995/

New Thread!
New Thread!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028995/

(Linda)Gig Harbor, WA(Zone 8a)

This is a pic of hardy begonia "Begonia grandis" with a fatshedera in the pot behind it. Surprisingly the fatshedera survived in the pot over the last winter!

Thumbnail by Azorina

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.