Garden Pics: Braving the HEAT to Save our Blooms!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Had many blooms on the water hyacinths today.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Cherry Parfait starting to bloom

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Lady of guadalupe rose was really slow budding this year. Finally had a bloom today.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The daylilies are still blooming. They are such a nice surprise .

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Love this lavender one.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
(Judi)Portland, OR

Lovely pinks Bea - my favorite color in the garden.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I really love that cherry parfait. So pretty!

Eugene, OR

Beautiful pictures Bea.....I don't like the banana slugs, they are ugly. Those flat brown ones have a face.

(Judi)Portland, OR

A face only a mother could love.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

lol.... that's for certain!!

Great pics Bea!

Azorina... I believe that all of us here would share in your lack of guilt over the slugs!! What a great banana specimen!

Thumbnail by redchic01

a closer pic of the same hosta

Thumbnail by redchic01

I don't think that I've shown this one yet. My little, variegated, weeping, dogwood, catching a ray!

Thumbnail by redchic01

any guesses? it shouldn't be too hard to figure out the genus.

Thumbnail by redchic01

the first bloom to open on this hydrangea since the others seered on the plant.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

What is the hydrangea? So pretty!!! I would love to have a cutting.

thanks Lynn.... It's 'Hanabi'. And it's definitely my favorite! Also a favorite of the deer if I'm not right on top of spraying. It's considered a white flowered one, however I have found that I can turn it a very light pink or light blue with enough additives. I prefer the blue!
I feel sort of silly for asking this... but, do you mean that you mean that you want me to mail an actual cutting without roots to you? I've heard of folks doing that successfully in the winter. Or do you mean a cutting that I have rooted already? I have never had luck with cuttings, so I don't do them. But, I do have luck with layering them!

Lunch with a friend... :)

Thumbnail by the1pony

How sweet! whatta friend!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Great picture, Pony!

Eugene, OR

A two-fer!! Great picture!

Thanks! Those little guys are all over my dahlias lately. Don't know what kind of moth they are, but I think they're very pretty. :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Pony..your little friends are called skipper butterflies. They were always one of my favorites when I was a child. They were all over the garden. My brother and sisters and I alway had an insect "cage" every summer and we would see who could catch the most. Of course they were always released soon after capture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipper_(butterfly)

This message was edited Aug 16, 2009 5:38 PM

Well whattaya know... I thought they were moths. hehe. Thank you, Bea! :)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I know butterflies are supposed to love Monarda...but I am sorry ...they are pretty goofy looking flowers. I will keep them around, but I sure can think of many things that would look much better!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

William Shakespeare is so handsome!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Has anyone had poor perfomance with their sunflowers this year? I alway plant 100+ and have them all summer long. This year I think I have only about 5 that have gotten past 4 ft and the remaining few are real puny. It is very bizzare.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

That Monarda is kinda cool looking, in an alien spore-shooting kind of way... LOL

I only planted Chianti sunflowers this year, and they grew too well. Got taller than the eaves they are under... oops! I'll have to put them somewhere else next year. Speaking of which, I have nylons over some of the spent flower heads now- seeds will be ready before long for those who want them. (I've got Bea and Judi on the list so far...)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Pony..The chianti are pretty!

This purple glad used a spent Oriental Lily stem as support.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A very healthy looking frog baby!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Ebb Tide rose

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I find that my Hummers like the Monarda more so that the feeder, but then again the yellow jackets chase they away for the feeder. Funny to watch a Hummer and a Jacket go face to face. Jacket wins Hummer flyes away. No foul No gain.

Great Pics

Bea.... great pics! as always! I'm glad that you knew what those skipper butterflies were called, I've always wondered what they were. They're generally not to afraid of people it seems! What kind of glad is that purple one?

I'd like to know, too- that's an incredible purple. I'd love to plant it with my red ones next year if I can find it.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

red & pony..sorry..but these Glad came with me from CA. I have no Idea of the name. I can dig in the fall and see if there are additional corms if you would like some. Let me know. The Skipper butterflies were easy to catch as kids. I remember gently pinching their wings together and putting them in those insect cages. Sound aweful now..but as kids it was great fun. They loved all the Dahlia we had then.

No worries, Bea. I can always cruise the web looking for purple ones. I do a huge amount of web-window shopping. *grin*

I agree Bea! thanks for the offer. But, no worries. I'll keep an Eye out for a purple glad a go from there. Or.... if Pony happens to find a match, maybe she can let me in on the name. lol.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Will do, Red. :)

That's a cool photo- it looks like a painting!

thanks. I'll search too!

That coreopsis is the most photogenic flower that I have right now. I love it and really hope it makes the winter.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Tiki Torch is definitely one of the best performing of the new echies that I have, but this is a color combination that I really don't like!!! I'm thinking that I'm going to move it in the fall.

and now the picture.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.