Garden Pics: Braving the HEAT to Save our Blooms!!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Woah- I forgot to post today's pics. Oops!

Another bee- this one in a morning glory:

Thumbnail by the1pony

MG and gloriosa

Thumbnail by the1pony
southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Thanks Sally! I appreciate that!

Tilly.... great Dahlias. I really, really like that April Heather!

Pony.... I would have a very hard time coming up with a good explaination of freshly sown dirt with the exact same plants coming out of it. lol. Great bee pic. Is your gloriosa one that is hardy enough or is it an annual?

Red, I have no idea. Just threw the seeds down this spring- the site I got them on said they were perennial, but we shall see.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Pony they will come back, as long as they are in a happy place. I planted some many moons ago at my old place. Bought a package and tossed the seeds and they came back for years. Good luck I just love them. but for some reason they don't like it here, except the one the birdie brought me. I did not plant it.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This is "Pink Attraction" that made it over the winter. and bigger than last year.
But something is having lunch on it. LOL

Thanks RC

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 6:07 PM

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Eugene, OR

Very pretty Tills!!

Tills, I scattered a whole bunch of seeds, but only got that one plant out of it. I hope it survives! It was my own fault, though- I put them in the wrong place, not enough sun. I'll try them somewhere else next year.

I seem to be on a kick taking pictures of bees...

Thumbnail by the1pony

Lovely Tills! The present from the bird is a really pretty one.

Pony.... it's a very pretty bee!

Thanks! I just feel lucky he didn't get mad at me for sticking a camera an inch away from his little pollen-covered butt. hehe.

very true!!

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This was the bloom on my very first Brug around 7pm last night. I was worried as it was supposed to be a pink one. Although the yellow is pretty too!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

To my surprise I found it fully opened around 11:30 last night and it was pink. Nature is just amazing.
Here she is around 6am this morning.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
(Judi)Portland, OR

Pony what a great bee pic. He is so full of pollen! I finally found out where all the honey bees that were in my backyard went - they are now working in the blueberry bushes in the front and the wasps have taken over the backyard.

Beahive beautiful Brug. Such a pretty color. Swoon!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful brug. Congratulations!!! How old is the plant? Is it in a pot or in the ground? I bought my first Brugs this year in the Buried Treasures Coop. No blooms yet.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

I brought this brug as a one gallon size a few months ago and transplanted it to a 15" pot. It is about three feet tall now. I think they will need to be wintered indoors..so the pot was necessary. I also got some from a coop recently which are growing well. Can;'t wait till they bloom too!

Beautiful flower, Bea.

Um... what is "Brug" short for? Us n00bs don't know all the nicks you real gardeners use.. LOL!

This is kind of strange but happy- there's a single blossom on my periwinkle in Ivy's memorial garden. It's not supposed to be blooming now, it's a spring flower. I planted it because it was a favorite of Ivy's... maybe she's telling me she approves. I almost cried when I saw it.

Thumbnail by the1pony
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Pony. Brug is for brugmansia

Thanks, Bea! :)

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Bea - my brugs are budding out white then turning yellow, which happened to be the perfect colour for my PNW garden (everything is blue-white-yellow or purple). I had to laugh about it because the seeds I have are for white brugs. Yours is simply beautiful.
Oh - I took "Y" cuttings last year & overwintered. the larger one is now 5' tall & started blooming mid-july. the other two are smaller at 3 1/2' & 1'. the little guy was an experiment.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Reading this was really fun. I am on my new computer but I don't have pics yet. Just got it up and running today.

Love the flowers and water shots. Made me thirsty.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Love the Brug, Bea. But I can have them I can only enjoy the Pics.

Pony, you need to save that pic for the contest, I so love it. You got a good camera, no doubt. and the other one Way too cool.
When I lived in Calif. Perry's bloomed all spring and summer if they like where they are at, and I guess it likes it there. ^_^

Hey Willow, have fun. After I got mine fixed Its so much better.

I got no pics to share, I'm bad LOL
How about a nose LOL

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Thanks, Tills! Um... what contest? LOL

That's a very cute sleepy nose... hehe.

Eugene, OR

DG Photo contest. That bee is a good contestant.

Yeah? When is this contest? I haven't seen anything about it.

Ladybug:

Thumbnail by the1pony
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Pony, we have a yearly photo contest on DG for the next years calendar. It is way to fun. Laurie ( are England Queen) and Red Chic has won in the past. I keep trying but now with my new camera, who knows. But to see the pics that every one sends in is so awesome, makes you mind boggled. LOL I will find the link so you can view past contest.
http://davesgarden.com/contest/2008/

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

It will start around the end of Oct. I think LOL but you have to check on Daves site to find it.

Cool! Thanks for the link! :)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Go to extras on your icons on top, you will find lots of neat stuff.

OMG. There's no way my photos can compete with the kind of stuff in that last contest. Holy Toledo. I know I get some decent shots, but my little camera doesn't give the clarity that those have. There's some amazing pictures there.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

You be surprised as too what people look at, I was high in some but because I Had date and time on my pics I lost points. LOL lesson learned. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what you see is not what I see. I think they are wonderful.
You will never know till you put it out there for all to see. Trust me

I was told this is one to send in, I think its dumb. What do you think???.
The dancing Rose, look in the center. it is cool looking.

Thumbnail by tillysrat

That is a beautiful pic. If the high resolution version is good and sharp, (DG kinda smooshes photos when you upload them in posts) then yeah, why not enter it if you don't have one you like better.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

But this one, I am going to enter. To enchanting, like out of a book.
" The Robins are Watching" Kinda like the Movie "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock"

Night all

Thumbnail by tillysrat

I love that one. :)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Pony, Just but the Pic out there for all to see when the contest starts, you have lots of great pics. I have not won in 2 years, but it is too much fun to be a part of it LOL, I don't really care if I win. but my pics are still there, where all can see them
( Hey Dave, Terrie Trying to help LOL)

Pony.... you should definitely enter the contest! As others are saying, you never really know what others are going to like and appreciate in a photo. Then there is always that one "lucky shot". I was really surprised by the entry of mine that placed in the contest, I didn't think that it was as good as the other photos. Well, shows what I know!! lol. For me, I don't like it when I see photos that I can tell have been doctored to the point that the colors really aren't possible in nature or when everying in the photo is absolutely perfect, is usually a sign that it's been masterfully edited and I don't appreciate it all! So I vote for pictures where the subject seems to be something that is truly "real". But, that's just me! So, i vote for "real" photos! lol oh.... and you are a real gardener, no matter how long you've been at it!

Tilly.... I think that both of those pics are great. That rose is sort of mesmerizing! And you are going to get your calendar free sometime!! I know that it will happen!

Bea... awesome brug!

You both make good points. I'll enter some stuff. It is fun to participate in stuff like that. :)

Here's a creepy shot I just took a few minutes ago..

Thumbnail by the1pony
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Now that is to cool, Love it.
Off to bed, Say night Graci LOL

(Judi)Portland, OR

Tills I like the dog nose photo - you can just feel the cold wet nose and the warm breath. Love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.