Wow, this forum is dead!

Hillsboro, OR

Where are all the PNW gardeners???

Pullman, WA

It's so strange to me as well... I think I first learned about this website nearly 20 years ago. I remember it as "the" premier gardening forum... People at the local gardening club talked about it a lot. I'm so surprised to see it so inactive... Have our neighbors all gone to another forum or gardening groups on Facebook?

New Plymouth, ID

I don't know if any of them came from here, particularly (I have my doubts, as I don't hear Dave's Garden discussed a lot there, and you are allowed to discuss it), but the most active gardening forum I know about offhand is Tomato Junction. Not sure how many PNW gardeners there are. Most are from the east, southeast, or Texas, but there are some. Most of the *initial* Tomato Junction userbase came from Tomatoville when the admin announced it was closing down (he later changed his mind and gave it a subscription model, like Dave's Garden).

Then you have the Organic Gardening Community, Not Just Tomatoes, Keeping a Family Cow, Homegrown Goodness, Tomatoville, Houzz/Gardenweb, the OSSI plant breeding forum, BigPumpkins, and some other forums. Then there are groups on social media, and probably hashtags, too. Also, it's not a forum, but the gardening community of StackExchange is worth knowing about for Q/A; they also have a chat.

Dave's Garden should definitely be more active than it is, though. They probably need to advertise more, again, rework the forum structure (make it easier to find this forum), or something. Normally Dave's Garden has excellent SEO (at least for PlantFiles), which is great; I don't know if that's still true with search engines changing stuff so often.

One thing I think helps is contributing to PlantFiles and adding the latest varieties (this lets people know that the site is still active, and gives them a place to review their favorite plants).

Speaking of Tomato Junction, Tormato is looking for more participants for the MMMM Swap, and he's hosting that on Tomato Junction (dot com; no spaces). It's like a huge round robin or group seed swap of sorts where you can get hundreds of free seeds if you participate.

My interest in Dave's Garden began years ago with the free seed trading tools, as well as PlantFiles (the reviews are pretty helpful).

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:11 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:15 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:19 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:21 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:23 PM

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:23 PM

New Plymouth, ID

Ozark, are you the Ozark who bred Sweet Ozark Orange? Thanks, if so. It's a great tomato.

This message was edited Oct 26, 2023 9:27 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.