Anyone have rebloom on rebloomers yet?

Raleigh, NC

description for Smell the Rose:
Medium violet blue, blended deeper rosy violet at hafts, much lighter small violet area around beard; medium violet blue beard lightly tipped frosty powder blue; pronounced sweet fragrance

South Hamilton, MA

More on Champagne Encore--a single stalk blooming for the last 2 years--4 stalks in bloom this yr & a 5th starting to grow. DD & I wonder if it will bloom next spring. Cetainly will need dividing next summer.

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

The weather here has really taken a turn for the better and I think the buds on my NOID - Maybe Smell The Roses will get a chance to open. I will be looking the blooms over very carefully to see if they match the description. I understand that I should probably purchase Smell The Roses from a reputable source and grow both to compare the bloom to see if they are an exact match. Thanks for the description bonjon!

Linda

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Sun popped out and I had to do a walk through to closely examine the rebloomer bed (see pic of it on July 14 when newly planted). I found that Gnuz Spread had not only put up a stalk since I was out a week ago but opened and then of course I got to picking a few weeds and pulling off loose leaves and noticed that Midsummer's Eve is pregnant and a few others may be incubating (not sure yet).

For those who are interested, I will try to get some pictures today of the finished (okay not quite -- need to weed everything [yes again!] first) garden and start a new thread. I still need to add mulch, but due to the nature of the economy here at home and the season, we will be doing this throughout the winter on good days (meaning no snow or ice and clear cold weather. LOL)

R.

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've kept an eye on this thread, thinking the whole time, "I'd love to see an Iris bloom in fall". While digging Dahlias over the last few days, I've discovered 3 bloom stalks arising from various bearded varieties! We've already had our first frost, sure hope they make it. How much cold can the buds tolerate?

South Hamilton, MA

Not too much--certainly will bloom above 32 degrees but can be stunted. Do you have a cold frame? You could try potting them up & putting the pots in there.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've got a cold frame, but I don't think I'll move them. My Iris are just getting established, so I'll leave them be. It's the spring show that stills my heart anyway. And who knows, it may be another of those weird weather years and I'll have a lovely bouquet for Thanksgiving, LOL.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Gemini,
You can try covering them with a garbage can/bucket on a cold night. The cool temps really slows their buds opening. I am watching Anxious TB bloom stalks slowly open with temps in the 30-40's at night. Today's cloudy 50* slowed them down too. I guess this just makes them last longer. :-) Sustained 32* and lower will end their season. Sometimes if there is color showing in the buds they will open when you bring them inside.
Peg

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That's a good idea. We're still getting some nice warmth and sun during the days, it reached 71 today. They probably have a pretty good chance. Then if it looks like a hard freeze is coming, I can cut them and bring them in. Thanks!

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Gemini, when you have time to check their names, let us know what it is that is blooming in KY.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh, I just knew someone would ask about names, LOL! One of them has a tag, I'll have to check, but the other 2 will probably be a shot in the dark. I was overwhelmed with Iris from a swap and some trades, and was really bad about labeling, and I accepted several no ids labeled only by color. I may know when I see the blooms too- sometimes a brain cell sparks and I surprise myself, LOL.

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Good luck with those brain cells sparking -- LOL, LOL!!! I guess that's what I need more of also!!! :-))

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

IB Champagne Encore is still blooming! I think we will stay warm enough for it to finish all the buds.

Santa Ynez, CA

have a few coming, Earl of essex, two thumbs up, mariposa autumn, and another dwarf........

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

This one is blooming for me today.
Jane

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

What a nice vibrant yellow. Is anyone able to put a name on it?

Raleigh, NC

looks like Spirit of Memphis, but it's not mine.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Peg...I took the picture after dark but will get out there today and see if by some miracle the marker is still there.
Seriously doubt it... but will look to see just the same. Dang dogs, deer and what have you...have a way of tromping back and forth thru my flowers causing the markers to go here there and yonder!

Jane

South Hamilton, MA

DH blames the deer for moving markers here, but I haven't seen any hoofprints.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Yeal those DH's are bad about it too...aren't they?

Raleigh, NC

Didn't think I had any reblooming this year. we usually get a huge display from Sunny Disposition, but not this year.

Went out to cut Mom a bouquet, and darned but what there was a soft yellow huge bloom in the A row. scrolled through, in my head, what yellow isn't in the rebloom bed, and it's got to be Again And Again, which hasn't bloomed before. I thought it wouldn't rebloom in this zone! It's been pouring rain all the rest of the day, so doubtful we get a good photo.

South Hamilton, MA

???Why not rebloom in your zone. Sterling Innerest is the hybridizer & he lives in PA. I think that remontant plants will rebloom south of their hybridized zone if the genes are there.

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Have you ever had your DH "help" with weeding??? LOL. No more flowers in that bed and I learned. the hard way..... 8-)

Raleigh, NC

irisMA, thought I saw a report somewhere that it didn't rebloom above zone 8, at least I had that in my notes. so I didn't plant it in the rebloom bed, where NOTHING has rebloomed this year. well, that's the way things go sometimes...

South Hamilton, MA

working with remontants can be a difficult thing--they don't always co-operate from yr to yr.

Raleigh, NC

Spirit of Memphis, Double Shot and Immortality are my three reliable rebloomers here. Double Shot used to multiple rebloom. But then I dug them, divided them, got sick and couldn't replant them for six months, so I lost them.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

To my amazement the original marker was right where I had put it ...next to the iris I posted for everyone to see yesterday. Here's the pic again.
It's named "Buck Wheat" and boy is it a beauty.

Jane

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
South Hamilton, MA

Glad that you have the ID. A quick count of buds remaining (in your photograph) looks like you have quite a bit of bloom left.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Baby Prince, Baby Blessed, and Mariposa Wizard have been discovered pregnant. Looks like the extra fertilizer worked!!!

Love the color of your Buck Wheat Jane! What a nice, bright flower.

Linda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have seen Buckwheat win a first prize ribbon at one of our shows. Nice flower.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Linda...you know I think it's getting prettier with each day.
I tried counting the buds that haven't opened yet and got so confused I just had to quit. I'll give it another try a bit later...still have a bit of housework to get done.

Jane

Raleigh, NC

whenever I see a photo of Buckwheat, it's never as pretty as this photo. and when I see Buckwheat in the gardens, I always say" I've got to get that" and somehow never remember to order it. It's just lovely.

Gainesville, TX

great photo Jane

Hyannis, MA(Zone 7a)

Autumn Tryst still blooming over 2 weeks now..

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

IB Champagne Encore still going(Sept 18). We had a light frost yesterday am and it didn't slow it down at all!

South Hamilton, MA

People should try that one, even if it just had about 1 stalk the first 2 yrs. Available from aAitken's Salmon Creek garden. It is an IB so will bloom before the TBs in the spring & you will have a part iris fix early on.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

SDB Pause is showing two more buds and IB Constant Companion is on its 6th and 7th flower of the last two weeks.

Nice to see especially as I trudge home from the Septa strike...

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jackie for the pat on the back for the photo of "Buckwheat"..although in all honesty... I had very little to do with it.

Well... I finally was able to count the buds on "Buckwheat" and it has a total of 12 buds...8 on one stem and 4 on another. The first blooms are still just as bright and pretty as the day they opened.

Igrowinpa & bonjon...maybe this spring, if it has multiplied enough we could do some trading.

Jane

Sounds good Jane. Spring seems so far away right now, but it will be here before you know it!

Maxsmomma, we on the other side of the state have heard about the Septa strike. You have my sympathy.

Linda, who is Maxsgrandma - I have a grandson named Max

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.