Anyone have rebloom on rebloomers yet?

South Hamilton, MA

That is a bit worrisome for bloom next spring. However great for this season.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

yup, worrisome for the spring bloom, but great for this one.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL I've been lurking on this thread, envying all the folks with reblooming iris, and thought, "Hey, I ought to send this to my mom. She's been sending me pics of her reblooming iris!" Then I continued reading, and what do you know? She's already here!

Hi, Mom! (EdyHill)

Angie

Knoxville, IA(Zone 5a)

Guess who will be begging for starts of all my reblooming iris?

Hi Angie

South Hamilton, MA

Another mother-daughter combination. Guess we were a good influence.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Edyhill...your lucky that your daughter shares your love of iris, mine didn't inherit my love of gardening but I haven't given up on her yet.

Does anyone know the name of this little darling? Don't know what the proper name is for this little guy, but it's a itty bitty bearded dwarf. Sorry the pic isn't better...I was having a bad camera day! Whoops forgot I was on the laptop so will have to post the picture in a bit.

Jane

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I got rebloom again this year from 'Autumn Tryst'.

Also got several bloom stalks from one labeled 'English Cottage,' but instead of white/cream marked with a little lavender-blue veining, it was marked with some tawny gold across the top of the falls. I'll have to pay attention in the spring (it's a newer clump, this might have been its first bloom).

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Who is the other mother-daughter on here? Missed the relationship! I love to see how people pass the love of flowers down to the next generation. Hopefully my boys will always love gardening, too!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

IrisMA and I. I lurk mostly.

Edited for grammer,irisMA would bust me for it!

This message was edited Nov 12, 2009 11:39 AM

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

OK...here's the picture of the dwarf rebloomer I mentioned above.
Sorry the quality isn't as good as it should be, but hopefully someone will still be able to see it well enough to put a name to it. It's a bearded dwarf.

Jane

Thumbnail by rainy_jane
Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Booker... I think I the love of flowers may have skipped a generation with my daughter but my little grandson has difinately inherited the love of flowers.

I started keeping him when he was only 6 weeks old while my daughter worked. When he was only a few months old I would push him in his stroller around to look at the flowers. Some days we rode the lawnmower...he loved this!

Every now and then I would stop and pick a bouquet of iris for the house...of couse he thought he had to sniff each and every one of them. He always thought he had to lick them as well...as soon as I would hold one close enough to his little nose so he could smell it...his little tongue would pop out just like a little lizard.

Then when he was just a toddler, I let him make his own little flower garden. He was so proud of it and there wasn't a day he didn't check it for new blooms.

He helped me divide iris and make new beds for them. He'd drive his little battery operated tractor and wagon and haul loads of mulch for me. We had it done in no time and enjoyed every minute of it.

He's a big boy now...so those days are over. He's all of 6 years old but you know he still to this day, goes out back to see how his little garden is doing.

He never passes by a flower what he doesn't stop to smell it...I noticed he doesn't stick his little tongue out anymore, but that's OK.

I heard him telling his daddy one day when they were walking down to the pond to fish..."do you see all grandma's pretty flowers...let's go smell them?" I'm sure that didn't go over very well! Ha!......I guess I was successfull in brainwashing the little guy...I think he has the love of gardening...tucked away somewhere deep down in his heart!

Jane

South Hamilton, MA

DH's mother did some gardening--but both grandmothers had larger gardens. His grandfather grew waterlillies in the pond at the bottom of the hill & he worked in his school greenhouse, So he is a better gardener than I. He also lived in a warmer climate than WI so grew a bigger variety of plants. Iris grew in WI however. Our 'backdoor' neighbor's backyard -40' wide had nothing else.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Why wouldn't smelling the flowers go over well? I thought everyone liked to smell the flowers -- they just might not want to go to the trouble of growing them.
I think many traits skip a generation and it may be because grandparents do so much babysitting that they pass on their loves and interests to their grand children. Young parents are so busy and stressed out trying to make a living and keep up their homes that I am not sure they have the time to teach flower growing, at least in a lot of cases. And as you say, your daughter hasn't discovered her inner gardener. Maybe she can get her cute little son to do her garden before to long.
Grandmothers are certainly a great boon to all family members, as is obvious from your story.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Jane, how sweet! I love that he licked the flowers. Talk about experiencing them fully! LOL You've done a wonderful thing in opening his eyes to the beauty around him. That will stick with him his whole life!

My boys help me choose and plant flowers every spring, and each year, they get to choose some that are specifically theirs. My 8 year old loves roses, of all things, and my 11 year old is fascinated by clematis. They both love snap dragons, too. :) Now, if only I could interest them in weeding.

Angie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hmmm! If only we could all interest ourselves in weeding. Maybe the secret is lots and lots of mulch.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

This whole conversation just reminded me of this article. Don't know if you all caught it, so thought I'd include the link. It's all about the way generations share their love of gardening, in the form of a letter from a mother to her adult daughter. It was really touching!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2576/

Knoxville, IA(Zone 5a)

That's a beautiful article. I missed seeing it so glad you included the link. So I'm not the only mother who dreams of her daughter when I walk my flower beds. It's such a joy to have these common interests. And making your wedding dress for you was a delight! We've had some wonderful times through the years, and now those are the memories I treasure.

Angie's Mom

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Someone above mentioned the coloring in their autumn bloom appearing "darker". Mine also have darker pigmentation. I wonder if the cooler temps make the plants display their "true colors" rather than being washed out in the heat of spring/summer sun.

Today I have found pregnant Cinders, Baby Blessed, Forever Blue, Plum Wine, Fast Forward and Mariposa Wizard (last two are new plantings from summer trading), and a few others that may be but it's still too early to tell.

October Splendor, Prince Pele, Late Lilac, Baby Prince, Midsummer Night's Dream, and Northward Ho are in bloom.

As I mentioned before all of these are in the newly amended bed planted in July.

Roni

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

pajaritomt...it didn't go over very well with his daddy, for the simple fact that far too many men are under the false impression that loving beautiful flowers and enjoying their wonderful fragrance is a sign a weakness...in other words not macho or masculine!

Don't get me wrong, I do understand why a father doesn't want his son to be labeled what the world interprets as a sissy.

... but this grandma thinks his daddy could of handled it just a tad bit differently and still kept up the he-man image...wouldn't it of been the perfect time for his daddy to take a few minutes to squat down beside the little guy and really, really of looked at the beauty within a flower with his son and yes even breathe in their sweet fragrance...

... and then explained how God creates such beautiful sweet smelling flowers (he could of even added a macho line in there if he wanted) by saying he created them for men such as they were... to give to girls to make them happy....and that he was sure mommy would be so happy and surprised...if he were to pick her a bouquet of flowers but of course then he should also add.... that he must first ask grandma's permission. Just this grandma's way of seeing things in a different light.

oh by the way about loving to weed...I guess I'm a bit strange.. but I actually do love pulling weeds, especially after a good soaking rain. Nothing more enjoyable.

Bookerc1.... loved the letter...even brought a tear or two from this
mother's eyes.

edyhill...I have had many a walk thru my flower garden with my daughter who although wasn't present beside me... was present within my heart all the same.

My walks thru my garden is where I have my talks with the Lord...I may not know the proper way to say a prayer...have the right words or what have you...but I have my talks with him all the same... and I think he doesn't care so much about formality... but hears me just the same and listened to what comes from my heart.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day wherever you may live hope the sun is shining on your back...sorry this turned into a book...I do love to ramble on.

Jane

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

rainy_jane,
I am with you. It does not detract from a man's masculinity to love flowers. Only we have to convince them of it. There are lots of men who are avid flower growers and are definitely masculine. If these guys would give it a thought, they would realize women love flowers and if they love flowers they will be closer to the women around them. Sigh. One of our local iris judges is a huge tall policeman with broad shoulders and he is a champion iris grower. We need to make posters of these macho guys with flowers and hang them in the hardware stores and bars and other places where guys hang out!
Oh well, I think you have already given your grandson the motivation to become a flower grower some day when he is old enough to sort this all out. You did a wonderful job with him.
I don't mind weeding either, but I especially like it when I am angry. Dandelions are especially satisfying to pull up with their huge tap root!
As for gardening for meditation, I go to the garden with all my problems and that is where I learn to solve them. I consider that prayer, though I don't think of myself as praying when it is going on. It is more becoming open to a clearer and deeper understanding of what is happening in my life.

Gainesville, TX

you know the book says God spoke the things into existence ...but then it says and he PLANTED a garden. Genesis 2:8

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That just says it all, doesn't it. I always feel calmed and at peace in my garden even doing the simplest things.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Reminds me of one of my favorite hymns, "In the Garden".

Jane

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Blooming in my garden this week, Honey Scoop.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That is so beautiful, Calif_Sue. Would you be so kind as to put a note of its date of rebloom and your zone in Plant Files. People need to know that sometimes this will rebloom for them and where.

Guess this is the reason it has 'scoop' in the name?
I'll add the notes.

This message was edited Nov 14, 2009 9:09 AM

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That spoon certainly does look like a scoop. It is well named. And thanks for adding the notes. I am hoping to see Plant Files as a place to learn what reblooms and where and in what month. That kind of information is hard to get.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is a great spoon Sue and Live these things being added to the plant files.

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Sue love your "Honey Scoop"...just gorgeous!
Will have to try to find that one to add to my collection!

Jane

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sue, I love your photo with the Iris against the variegated leaves. Is that a Hydrangea?

Santa Ynez, CA

was out digging around in the iris and found a Jurassic Park that is ready to pop.......I just love those re-bloomers, I loved George Sutton's comment about the "oncer's" his comment about the regular one shot iris....

Thumbnail by makj
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, I am suffering from zone envy right now!

Knoxville, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm in zone 5 and I still have Mariposa Autumn, Cornhusker Autumn and July Yellow blooming. Mariposa has 5 or 6 blooms on it and everything else in my garden is long gone! This has been an unusual year with a cool wet summer and warm fall--although we had a killing frost several weeks ago. Really enjoying the rebloomers.

Thumbnail by edyhill

stormyla, that's a variegated brugmansia that I layed the iris on for that shot. I had cut it to bring it inside to enjoy in a vase.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

My iris STILL blooming!

Thumbnail by jumper2
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

So cloudy and windy today. Love the pics with the sun and blooms.

Raleigh, NC

wow jumper! those are some hardy irises!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

48, gloomy and breezy.
Thanks, bonjon. I just hope they'll bloom next spring! The iris is a rebloomer.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sue, That was a great idea for that photo.

Makj, Your Jurassic Park is beautiful.

Edyhill, your Iris are lovely.

Santa Ynez, CA

thanks stormyla, it was great to see a whole clump going at once.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.