CLOSED: Free Seed for Newbies! 07/04/09 Directions to get your seed

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

You are welcome!

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Robin,

Envelope goes out tomorrow. What a nice way to welcome new people! There will be some extra stamps in the envelope. Someday I hope to have seeds to share as well.

The picture is lupines from last summer.

Thumbnail by ledgegardener
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

We do have some beautiful Lupines here in Maine.....

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Newest Chatter thread Here!! Come on over http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081413/

Booneville, AR

rrm iell me about mint does it go where it wonts to should i make a special place for it. nettie

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks to Lycodad for the sunflower seeds!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Mint Nettie does overtake in some places. I love all mints and try to find a new one every year!! I plant them where I can smell them best!! If they get to big give it a yank and cut and trade!! Ledge you have met Al? He is great and loves sunflowers!!
Everyone seed packages are back in return mail!!
Robin
First blossom of the year here!! Yeay!!

Thumbnail by arejay59
Enid, OK

We have no blooms, I have no mint and it snowed about a foot and still coming down. Guess I will sit here and be depressed. 28 out there - it was 60 at this time yesterday - what the heck - tease a girl with warm weather then blizzard - not fair!!!

Jar, I had a thought last night - do you have an Oklahoma Rose Rock? How about a selenite crystal - those I know I can get this spring - they won't open the park until April 15, but I can go dig you some after that. This link gives you a little interesting info on the crystals. http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/saltplains/selenite.html
you never know what the formation will be from year to year. Some years you can get clusters, some years perfect hour glass, sometimes, they are short and fat and not perfectly formed. It is a crap shoot but interesting none the less. The park is only 45 minutes from the house - it was closed for a couple of years, some boy scouts found vials of chemicals and the whole park had to be checked over. In the 40's they burried stuff like mustard gas out there and blew them up...well here is an article http://enidnews.com/localnews/x518668675/Officials-speculate-chemical-at-Salt-Plains-could-be-mustard-gas

Ok, enough fun facts on Oklahoma. You guys have a great day.

Enid, OK

Oops, posted that whole mess on the wrong thread. I am going to copy and paste to the correct place.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Enid I want some of that!!

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

Enid - oh a blizzard after 60 the day before would be heartbreaking! I know we are not out of the woods for snow yet, and it was in the 60's here yesterday.

It is dry - do need a nice soaking warm rain, but no more snow!

Hancock, ME(Zone 5a)

The seeds came today! All I can say is wow! It is like Christmas in March! Will get busy starting the seeds that need to get started indoors.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yeay!! I love it when people are happy!!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone!

Hi, I was a newbie last year and didn't know a seed from a pebble. Now I am growing trays of seed thanks to all the help I got from "the oldies". Thanks for all the seeds in the newbie pack, and all the friends who traded seeds and advice!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

You are welcome Epilogue

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

bumping up

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Lots of Newbies in Zone 7 and 8 Robin!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thats great Mechelle!! Did you send intro letters so they can find us?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Yup, sure did ! ;-)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

ok I will watch for them!! Thank you

Mattoon, IL(Zone 5b)

I received my newbie packet today and am so excited! Thanks so much for the abundance!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

You are welcome!!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Bumping up before it gets lost

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Thank You Mindy!!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Mindy, did you get to see the pretty "Shiraz" you sent me last year?

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Mechelle are you sure that came from me LOL I remember sending someone daylilys but I never knew what color or their names were since they came from someone else who didn't tag them. Very pretty though. Mine aren't growing much too cool or something here I think.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

That one's an Asiatic Lily and I could swear it came from you, lol.. or not.. ? Maybe Mekos, lol

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Nope wasn't me LOL I could wish though. I love lilys. Must have been Mekos or RRM or maybe Seray

Yea Mechelle. I think it was me. I have that same plant. I also have it in orange.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Shoulda known better Mekos. ;-) Remember the list you sent me when I won your auction that time? I saw on there that you had sent me a red lily bulb. I still had that paper in my seed box! lol .. Well thank you, it's beautiful. I guess it's not "Shiraz".. do you know the name of it?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Very pretty Lilly!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Newest chatter thread come on over http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1098005/

I know it is an oriental lily but not sure what the exact name is, sorry. Until I came here I never kept names of stuff, just planted it. I've had those for several years. My other orange one is blooming now, will try for a picture later when stinker goes to sleep.
Have a great day you guys, will check back later.
Here is a pot I brought in a couple days ago to set by the computer. Smells good.

Thumbnail by mekos
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Stunning, Jan! I would love to come see your gardens someday. See what you get from all those Free Seeds for Newbies ? :-)

My stuff don't always bloom all at the same time and none too many at the same area either. They are mostly scattered here and there. Lots are under the greenhouse covering in pots and lots under the shade trees in pots and lots around the ponds in ground and so ya see, pictures have to be here and there and lots of pictures to be able to see stuff. Tireing to try to get them all on here when you have to do it one at a time. My big gerber daisies are getting eaten by a big fat green worm. It eats ALL the color all the way around the bloom and all that is left is the green center. Grumbling here. Lots of bugs and snails eating everything down. Got some chrystanthimums (spelling not good)trying to bloom, but most are shedding off. My red hot pokers are blooming and the orchid primrose are in bloom. My green/yellow pokers are not ready yet, and the red false yucca not blooming yet. Those are for later on. None of my castor beans are up yet but still early for those also and my double confederate rose is sprouted and bushing out now so maybe blooms later. The datura -moon bush is already sprouted and bushy so I expect blooms soon.
I wasn't able to plant a garden this year but DH planted his pepper plants and I put out 2 tomatoe plants and from the scraps of potatoe peels I buried in the lasagna garden, I got a potatoe growing out there too. Just luck on that one.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi girls!! Nice Jan How is your lasagna gardening going Mechelle how is the family?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy Jan. Wish we lived closer to each other ;-)

Hi Robin ;-) My family is doing great. Courtney is still singing her little heart out and both the girls are out of school for summer. I miss Michael very much.. he moved back out to California a couple months ago. He calls me from time to time and seems to be happy. But I do miss him lots. My In Laws are moving here in about 10 days, so I am excited about that! How about you? How's your family doing? What have you been up to?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

THat is great Mechelle!! I am sure you do miss Micheal it will be a warm place to visit and collect seeds!! I have been busy spring cane like a thunderstorm here!! Planting as fast as my digger will go..... we have had a wedding and a new Grandbaby all since March that kept things moving and still does and surprise another is on the way!!due date 011011.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Sounds good Robin ;-) Congrats on the coming arrival!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.