CLOSED: Free Seed for Newbies!! Come on in!! 06-26-03 New thread!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I did take the picture. It's one of my favorite combos. Thank you.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Never had a Mojito.. I havent made it that far down the alphabet of alcoholic drinks yet. I seemed to get all the way to Margarita and got stuck ;)... but quite happily stuck I might add.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Yup, stuck on Margaritas. Join the club.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

hey cue chik have you had one yet with ol jimmy b.? now i feel envy just waiting for the answer. lol

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

No, sure haven't. I'm kinda traditional in that I tend to like my Rita's made the old fashioned way... with good ole Jose Quervo :)

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Gold?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Before Noon?

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

It's noon, somewhere.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL.. yup, I like Gold Rita's too, but I hafta say, I tend NOT to drink them before 3 p.m.

Somethin in my brain finds alcohol repulsive before 3 p.m. LOL

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Alright already misty so I don't know how to spell. I am the favorite this week so don't go pickin on me :))))))))))

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I like Ritas too ,frozen ones, Can somebody send me one for being a good girl :)))))

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well we could. but then you wouldn't be a good girl anymore.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

There's nothing really wrong about being bad is there?

Al

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sometimes, Al, bad is good...

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Being bad is more interesting than being good. When you are good no one pays any attention to you unless you are doing something to make someone feel important or special then they notice you.

OK, these pictures are not real good, it's too bright and I hope you can tell what they are. First the verigated thing.

Thumbnail by mekos

Here is another

Thumbnail by mekos

Here is a different thing.

Thumbnail by mekos

And another.

Thumbnail by mekos

Here is the tall thing I think is dill and I did find something in the middle of the whole pile that looks like chives.

Thumbnail by mekos

Ya think I should seperate them because they are starting to grow and some are getting squashed out. Like I just found the chives, never saw them before. AND there is a tomatoe in the middle of it all.

Thumbnail by mekos

That is enough for now. I don't want to bore you.

Thumbnail by mekos
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

mekos - looks like that varieagated (sp?) one might be a type of Sage. I also see a flowering Basil in there as well as what looks like flat leaf Parsley. You're right on the Dill. They are pretty when they flower and attract pollinators, good for me and my veggies - lol.

Once the Basil flowers (any herb for that matter) it loses some of it's potency as the oils in the leaves are reduced. If you pinch/cut them back a bit most herbs will continue to grow. With Dill, before it flowers, I cut large pieces, wash and dry well and plop it in the freezer in freezer bags to use later. Fresh herbs frozen will lose some in the texture department, but they are great to cook with and much cheaper than buying a little here and there to cook with. The only herb I don't like to freeze is Basil. It turns weird colors.

Good luck with your little herb garden!

Kelly

Thank you. But with it all crowded together is that ok or do I need to seperate them? They were all together like that when I got them, so I just plopped them into the ground and now I see lots of them that was so small, I didn't notice them before. Would they grow better seperated? I never grew herbs before.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

How big of an area are they in? Most of my vegetable/herb gardens are in the square foot gardening method. For example, I have 2 basil/sq ft (6" apart). Most other herbs I have 1 per sq foot or 12" spacing. They can be crowded a bit and still be happy. The main thing is to pinch them back before they flower to extend their life. Not sure how hot your summers get, but here in Phoenix we get over 110 F most of the summer. Any little bit of shading my herbs have helps as a lot will bolt or go to seed in the heat (cilantro and parsley are good examples). I don't know how well they would transplant if you moved them. Mine are growing where they were sown. I have seen herb boxes and such at the Farmer's Market here and they were growing really close together.

These were planted in a small round flower pot. Maybe 1 square foot around and a tomatoe plant in the middle with a wire cage around it to help keep them from falling over as they get tall.

Mekos your herbs look good! I put mine in an urn pot near the garden. It' easy to reach and I cram them in just like you would a container plant. I tried every other way and this works great for me. The urn is on the right side. So far everything but the dill has lasted since early spring. I have chocolate basil, thyme, oregano, sage, parsley (flat and curly).

Great idea Locakelly about freezing the dill. I'll try it for the fall batch. It's the one that goes the quickest.

Sherri

Thumbnail by
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They may be a little cramped. The herbs will probably be fine - they just won't grow as large competing for space. What kind of tomato is it? Sounds like an awfully small pot for the 'mater to be in - lol...

You could always try transplanting the herbs, but I think they'll be just fine where they're at...

This message was edited Jun 29, 2009 12:35 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sherri - love the herb urn!! What a cool idea!

This maybe harder than the scramble but my impatiens have run out of patience with the heat. Any ideas for a summer replacement ? I have a spot half shady and half sunny. Always a challenge. A fall idea? Something that would grow under a young crepe myrtle.

Sherri

locakelly, when I brought them home, I dug a hole in the garden and put in fresh miraclegrow potting soil and put the whole thing, out of the pot , in the ground, but didn't know so many was there till they started growing. The tomatoe is a plum tomatoe. The fruit doesnt get big, it's like a salad tomatoe. (grape tomatoe, kinda) I have other tomatoes that get large enough for sandwiches or making soup, but thought this one was cute for salads. Only noticed a couple different herbs when I planted it a couple weeks ago, but now there are several getting up there.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

mekos - if they are in the ground they should be just fine. Some herbs like the parsley are perennial and will overwinter, depending on how cold it gets. Probably why so many crept up on you - lol. Just be sure to use them or at least pinch or snipthem back and you should have fresh herbs all summer long. The dill will bolt/go to seed and flower more quickly than the others. If you like dill, maybe freeze it like I suggested above.

I just went and pinched the blooms out. Thanks for the info. These are my first try at growing them.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are pretty care free - you'll be just fine :^)

Farmingdale, ME(Zone 5a)

OK, I'm here! Sorry I was lost on another thread. But I am wilting. TOO MUCH RAIN! All my flowers and heads over heal. Doesn't make for pretty pictures. My peonies are blooming but they are all sadly facing the ground.

I WANT SUNSHINE!!!

Thumbnail by lacefairy

I'll trade you some.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

no kidding, I'll gladly trade some of this blasted sun for some good rain!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Me too!!! Meeeeeee to!!!

I know this isn't the ID forum, but does anyone know what this flower is? I just need the name of it.Is it some type of orchid?

Thumbnail by mekos
Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

seray would mums grow in that spot? mine bloom spring and fall and i do have some in "texas shade".

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.