Siberians and species part 3

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Your pseudatas appear to be very happy!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Yep. Aichi has buds too.
Mauve Majesty. hey, it has 6 falls!

Thumbnail by boojum
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Boojum you have some beautiful Iris. You really have a green thumb with them. Keep em coming.

Thanks, rebloomnut! The japanese irises are still lookin good here.

Thumbnail by boojum

And the other direction. The clumps of green foliage are sibs. I am still cutting down their bloom stalks. Takes me forever!
I am mostly done with a new bed on the other side of this big garden-so it will be horseshoe shaped.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It is just as well that I don't grow JI as we now have a total ban on watering! I can't believe that I live in the wettest area of eastern North America and we have a watering ban. I am sneaking at night to water pots but the rest of the garden is on its own.

Meanwhile I am still on the tail end of the siberian season....here is Harpswell Happiness

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

an unknown sib that shot up in my clump of White Dove....the flowers are twice the size of White Dove on taller stems...maybe a spontaneous tetraploid!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is another of my sibcolor hybrids....it is much later than the rest which are now just about finished.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2009 8:46 AM

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is my versata....similar to Polly's Night flash

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I can't take credit for this one...it is a pseudata X virginica, supposedly...I'm not convinced.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This is my virginica Dottie's Double X versicolor 'Murrayana'...I guess it is a X robusta

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Here is Dottie's Double itself

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

This was a wild card...I crossed I. versicolor 'Pink Peaks' with I. chrysographes....didn't think it would take but the pod was full of seed. Here is one of the offspring...the rest looked like Pink peaks so I'm thinking this one is just a versicolor too...albeit a nice-coloured one....if it sets seed itself, then my suspicions are confirmed...if it is sterile, well.......

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Lebanon, OR

/wow is all I can say! Keep it up and hope to see many in the USA soon

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wonderful crosses, Todd. The one in the White Dove clump looks like a spuria. Any chance?

Fabulous, Todd! Love your versata and robusta. I am also looking forward to seeing them in my garden some day! I read that murrayana is indigenous to Newfoundland, so why did you get the seeds from Marty and Jan? Just curious or nosey!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We need to get Todd marketing these!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Interesting story about Murrayana....the plant was found in Newfoundland in the 1930's. The gentleman, Mr. Murray, sent plants to Agnes Marion Ayre, a local amateur botanist. She described it to Fernald who names it Murrayana. She also sent it to her sister (or a friend) in England, where it was grown and passed around. Eventually it made it to the States. Meanwhile, the only plant ever collected and seen locally was the one dug to give to Agnes, so our local plant was extirpated. I met a friend of Marty and Jan in Newfoundland and told them about the Murrayana...they contacted Marty who then sent me 3 plants! I hope to re-introduce it to the wild some day.

More biverstatas opening...this was my above versata crossed back to versicolor.....this one seemed to retain more of the ensata parent than the other biversata offspring.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Another seedling from the same cross....I love the intense colour, but it looks more like versicolor.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Todd you have a wonderful collection there. I love the idea of putting Murrayana back into the wild. We have lost to many already. You have a lot of knowledge. Thank you for sharing. Steph

Thanks for filling us in, Todd. Great story and I hope you do get to re-introduce it.
I love the yellow signal line on the biversata.

Memorial Tribute.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oriental Eyes.

Thumbnail by boojum

El exejente approves.

Thumbnail by boojum

Dirigo Blue Plate opening.

Thumbnail by boojum

My Kathleen.

Thumbnail by boojum

Opening. Love this one. It's one from Steve Smith that JPW is selling.

Thumbnail by boojum

R. Giskard with the filipendulas.

Thumbnail by boojum
Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

Are the tall pink ones filipendula? My daugher said they look like cotton candy. She wants to grow some in her garden with billowy pink and blue iris, lol. It is very pretty. One more I have to look up. So many of the norther plants just won't grow here.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 7:48 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

JI Silent Thunder

Thumbnail by pollyk

Nice one!!
Geisha Ogi. Just got this from Andrew's field last week.

Thumbnail by boojum

Sing the Blues just opened.

Thumbnail by boojum

View with Ocean Mist. Sounds like a travel brochure.

Thumbnail by boojum

My Kathleen with filipendulas.

Thumbnail by boojum

Aichi-No-Kagayaki.

Thumbnail by boojum
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

My Aichi has been very slow growing for some reason. Love Sing The Blues!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I am just drinking all this up. And it sure is delicious!

Just one thing to add: I have a friend here in Minneapolis (zone 4) that has grown the straight species Iris brevicaulis and I. fulva for more than a decade. She keeps the garden moist, but it's not in a wet area. I think you should try the Louisiana iris, Todd.

My Aichi is short this year and I think it bloomed later than last year. Nope, just checked and it bloomed on the exact same date last year 7/13/08!!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Looks like I am sending 3 of my hybrid sibtosa/sibcolors hybrids to the 2011 meeting in Victoria. Guess I will have to plan on attending!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, great, Todd!

I just got my first sibtosa. I did a trade with Cristy Hensler and got Loophole.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.