Siberians and species part 3

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I think this is Oriental Eyes. I had that a few gardens ago.

Thumbnail by boojum

A very tall spuria. Had a funny name. Do you know it, Dee?

Thumbnail by boojum
Lebanon, OR

5"? Shelford Giant?

Could be. She thought it was something else. But there were a few tags near it! Sure was a giant!

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Oh my! A whole bunch of beautiful pictures. I love them all.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Wow...Andrew's hybrids are stunning!

If you have a way to, you should tell him. He needs encouragement!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Species X Night Flash

Thumbnail by pollyk

Nice one! Is it part laevigata?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here you go, you tell me, LOL

92-136: ((90 Dom-024: (Nouvel Age x Belle Promesse) x self) x 90 Dom-024) X Purple Parasol.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Species X (verstata) Oriental Touch

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That's one complicated cross.

Nouvel Age is Oriental Touch X versicolor
Belle Promesse is Oriental Touch X versicolor
Purple Parasol is a JI ----unknown seedling X Great Blue Butterfly

Sooooo, it's JI X versicolor crossed and back crossed every which way, I guess.

Was that on your wish list? Bet it is now.

Yup! Does that make it a biversata?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would say so. Definition of a biversata as I know it is two versicolor, one ensata. Or shown in crosses:

(versicolor X ensata) X versicolor.

If I'm right. Maybe Todd could help us out here.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I think it is a reensata...2 parts ensata , 1 part versicolor. Within this group are the reensata, versata (straight versicolor X ensata) and biversata. If more than 2 parts versicolor then they are referred to as biversata and likewise if more than two parts ensata, then reensata. I have some versata and biversata but no reensata. The latter look more like the ensata (obviously) and to my mind more attractive. I'll post my species X crosses when they open.....I should have more biversata open today.

While we are on names, I have robustas (virginica x versicolor), versatas (versicolor x ensata), pseudatas (pseudacorus x ensata), versilaevs (versicolor x laevigata), sibtosas (siberian x setosa). But what are pseudacorus x versicolor and laevigata x ensata called?

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

So if I get it straight -- Species X Night Flash is an iris family mutt? Beautiful mutt! LOL to many 'atas to track for me. I just like to look.

Booj if you've got some extra Dirigo Black Velvet laying around, I'd love to try my hand at it again -- mine died. But then I'll take anything you want to send off for postage... ;)

Polly, love the pictures -- your's too Todd. Can't wait to see more!

Roni

species x=species cross. These are relatively new because no one could cross 2 different species before, only a sib with another sib, ensata x ensata. Since I'm not a hybridizer, I don't know what magic made species x happen. But you wouldn't call them mutts-they are elevated on a pedestal.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

:LOL: so they are.

I know it takes a lot of hard work to hybridize -- that's why I have done it to date. I'm amazed by what can be done -- it just was a funny thought that popped in my head as I was reading what went with what and was crossed and back crossed.

Roni

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sometimes the mutts turn out to be the top dogs.

Thanks Todd! This winter it will be my project to learn all the jargon for the species. Luckily they are all easy to grow. I haven't killed one yet.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Most of the species X are sterile due to incompatible chromosome numbers. Sometimes, if tetraploids are used, they can be fertile. Biversatas are partly fertile and can produce a few seeds. I have a supposed ensata X hookeri (not my hybrid) but it looks like a regular versicolor and sets lots of seed so more than likely, it is indeed just a versicolor.

The reason that suddenly this could be done is due to embryo recovery (much the same as orietpet lilies). These species X are not grown by simply sowing their seeds. There is a science involved. So far, all my sibcolors and sibtosa have been sterile so end of line breeding...thankfully, most have turned out quite nice, albeit, not much variation...purple to blue dominates, not surprisingly. I've tried crossing reddish versicolors with white siberians but so far all have turned out blue! Eventually I will find a white siberian that is truly an alba so the sibcolors might turn out red!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the explanation Todd. I did see one cross that included a colchicine tet. I'll leave that kind of stuff to the professionals.

I have siberian nana alba. Would that be a true alba?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

The true Midnight Lagoon. Luckily I bought three of these.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Shores Of Time. Bright blues. Another new Ensata intro.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dancing Waves

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Muffington

Thumbnail by pollyk
Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow, my eyes are popping out of my head, lol. Just seeing how many beautiful kinds there are! I need a second job, lol.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

And you thought all it cost to be here was a yearly subsciption to DG.

LOL!

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8b)

Lol, yeah I see that didn't last long. My husband keeps saying what are you looking at with drool hanging out of your mouth, lol. My daughter is just as bad. She is 13 and fascinated with anything Japanese so I will be getting her some too I guess, lol.

Ocean Mist.

Thumbnail by boojum

I cut of the bloom on my new Japanese Pinwheel to get it out of yesterday's rainstorms.

Thumbnail by boojum

Vermillion Sunset.

Thumbnail by boojum

White ensata that I love.

Thumbnail by boojum

Prairie Glory really reads from a distance.

Thumbnail by boojum

Gift from Polly. Courier.

Thumbnail by boojum

In the garden.

Thumbnail by boojum

Manadzuru.

Thumbnail by boojum

Joan Trevithick.