Siberians and species part 3

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dino. Always a favorite. Gets very tall, six feet under super conditions, over five here, and never falls down.

Thumbnail by pollyk
South Hamilton, MA

40c siberians are not happy in our area.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They like to be a little cooler, and they need more moisture. I can grow them, and keep them in a little shade, with tons of mulch. Worth a try, Kathy. But as Lucy says, probably not happy there under regular sib growing conditions.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Falling Star is beautiful! I really love the color.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Shadow. It's an oldie. One of the Marx intro's from the 60s. Sometimes the older ones are still the best.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Shadow, how many JIs do you grow, and how far are you from Ensata gardens?

South Hamilton, MA

The 'prairie' series & Marx plants seem to do very well here. That information is from comments--we don't grow JI except one given as a door prize.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

If 40 C siberians need cool, that explains why they grow gang-busters around here. Of course, the regular siberians do great too. JI don't seem to do as well, but probably I am not giving them enough water.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Here are a few JIs. So sorry to hear that 40C don't grow well here, but I suspected.
Prairie Glory.

must be past my bedtime.

Thumbnail by boojum

Dirigo Red Rocket.

Thumbnail by boojum

R. Giskard today.

Thumbnail by boojum

Uh-oh, not Tall Dark but maybe handsome. Looks suspiciously like a pseudata. Byakuya No Kuni?

Thumbnail by boojum

RM seedling.

Thumbnail by boojum

RM seeding is beautiful!

Polly, up to 36 Siberians now, but most of them planted within the last few years and some of them not very fast increasers. Ensata is about 190 miles south of me.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

36 sibs or JIs, Shadow? You do have some JIs, don't you?

36 sibs and 5 JIs

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How are the JIs doing for you this year?

Not very good. They are growing some, but so far it doesn't look like any of them will be blooming this year, unless they wait until September like last year. I do water them, but probably not enough. Just started fertilizing this year, after reading what you said in one of the earlier posts.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It could be they need more water and fertilizer, but sometimes if they are just not quite hardy enough, that's what they do, just sit there. I have that problem with Louisianas. They grow OK, but just don't flower well, so far anyway. JIs are really heavy feeders, though, so I would try more fertilizer, and see if that helps. If you can get them to flower, they sure are gorgeous.

It always takes 2 to 3 years for my new beardless to bloom regardless. Sometimes I get lucky and get a first bloom the first year but I never count on it.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, maybe my Louisianas will still bloom then, as they are only two. I'm used to bloom on the sibs and Jis the spring after I plant them.

I certainly wouldn't give up on the Louisianas! I planted some last fall that didn't bloom this year. I think the orchids have given me more patience. I almost don't care about the flowers as long as the roots are healthy.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I can only dream of Lousianas in my northern climate!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

5b and 6a aren't that much apart. I would try them if I were you.

South Hamilton, MA

Try Black Gamecock--one of the most hardy.

Tomorrow is the ISM JI Show In Shelburne Falls. I will bring a bunch of buds over tonite at 5PM. That way I won't have to have an accident on the way tomorrow turning around everytime the open irises twist and turn and bang into each other! Debby W has asked that I bring any pseudatas that are out. Looks like a better second flower maybe open on Byakuya No Kuni and I have a third round of flowers blooming on Tsukiyono. That one is a star this year!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How I wish we had events like that here. We have a show at the county fair today, but it's pretty much only the local AIS chapter president that shows her and her husbands flowers, and somebody else judges them to be the best. Mittsy and I were going to go, but since they have it on the fourth we're not. We have very little to do in any iris category around here. The sales only usually bring in about 10 people. And I know, I know, I should get more active in it, and help bring it along, but I have too much to do right now.

What is ISM?

South Hamilton, MA

ISM=Iris Society of Mass. The JI show is a WNEIS=Western New England Iris society, not ISM. Now that we have confused everyone, Polly there are several affiliates in upstate New York. None of their shows are JI? Maine & WNEIS alternate yrs for the JI.

Lebanon, OR

Dirigo Red Rocket. now need to add that one as well...

SIGH are they any that are not beautiful LOL

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lucy, I really don't want to say anything bad about anyone, but our iris society here is poorly run. The members are not notified of any events, unless we keep after the people doing it. I've attended a few meetings, where there would be five or six people, and the couple that runs the meetings use it to promote their own local business. They do have the Japanese show or competition, but no one is notified of it, and I know the couple that hold the meetings win the prizes all the time. The husband hybridizes JI, and his win always, and they are nothing to write home about. At the last meeting I went to, they mainly talked about how this couple was getting into selling hostas. They passed around price sheets. I also know the couple that runs the meetings say they have thousands of irises, when in fact they have around 100 or so. They live right near me. I bought one iris from them and it was wrongly named. I will dmail you their names, but won't put it on here. I don't know if it's someone you've heard of or now. I don't have the time to participate much now, but when I do I will volunteer and hope things get a little more active.

South Hamilton, MA

To get AIS ribbons there should be 5 exhibitors. So they must be local prizes. ISM doesn't hold a JI show, as too few members grow them so it isn't worth while.

Lebanon, OR

Here for our club we only have bearded, Portland has beardless but I did not get to go this year.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I don't know if it's a local prize or not. I've never been as it's on the fourth of July, and we do family things in the afternoon and evenings.

I'll see if I can search for it.

Looked it up. It is a MIS/WNEIS event. There are always more than 5 exhibitors, Lucy.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

This is the award it says will be given:

Central New York Iris Society

William McGarvey (Beardless Iris)

July 4, Sandy Creek Fair

We crossed. Yeah, we are lucky to hold it on July 5 here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful blooms everyone

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think Lucy was responding to my question, Booj. And I have no idea how many people exhibit. I suspect not many.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Not to butt in but I joined the Iris Society in Mt. which is in Missoula and got the initial packet and have never heard from them again. I would think the National Society would oversee the clubs to make sure they are doing what they should or am I just whislin Dixie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.