Siberians and species part 3

Lebanon, OR

after seeing a ton of pseusdata photos I do not have to even think twice I know that many will be finding a home here, as going to be making some major changes in next two years.")

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Love the signals on Crystal Halo! Looks like you'll have no trouble enjoying your mislabelled one!
First bloom ever on R. Giskard!

Thumbnail by boojum

La Mouette today.

Thumbnail by boojum

I love the way the points dip down on the end of the falls.

Prairie Twilight.

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I love the pseudata's too but have never seen any for sale in Canada. Japanese iris are not very available locally either.

Open pollinated seedling of I. versicolor 'Pink Peaks'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Iris versicolor 'Light Verse'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Iris versicolor 'Epic Poem'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Iris siberica Chilled Wine

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Iris siberica Navy Brass

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Iris siberica Four-fold White

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Pleasant Journey

Thumbnail by mittsy

Greywoods Persian Dusk, rained pretty hard today, some damage.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Greyswood Persian Dusk is gorgeous, Mittsy.

What are you doing up so late?

My big flush of JIs should be next week or the week after.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

What are you doing up so late too Polly. It is almost 1 AM there. Get to bed! Lol

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It was only a little after 11;00. I'm usually in bed by midnight. But I thought Mittsy was an early to bed one. And she's in my time zone, so at least I know the time. These time zones confuse me. You're mountain time, right Steph?

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Oh, see some more that I like!

Dee, what kind of major changes in the next two years are you making, or is it a secret? You really have my curiousity going.

Shadow

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Polly aren't these just gorgious. It was about 10:50 something when I saw that and I thought you were 2 hrs. later?? I did not look at when you had posted. I was confused. Nothing new.

Lebanon, OR

Tsukiyono is a killer i love it boojum and thank you for posting.

none of my pseudata's will bloom this year but when they do I know I will be in heaven as I have seen them up front and personal.

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thnks Steph. I so hope the JIs make it through for you. You'll just love them. I really think if we can get them throught the first winter they will be fine.

That Tsukiyono is so pretty. I just had a new one, Shiryukyo bloom, and it's a very tiny flower, but lovely. I hope that's not representative of the size.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Todd,

If you can't find the pseudatas in Canada, maybe you should start hybridizing and selling. I have had people from Canada contact me to buy irises, and I just don't want to try shipping them there at this point.

However, the pod parent for the Shimizu pseudatas is Gubijin, which I have. I would be glad to try to send you a piece in the spring. I think it could take some delay at the border and be OK. You would have to save some pollen from some JIs to use with it, as it's not going to bloom at the same time. Gubijin blooms earlier, so you would have to keep the pollen over winter. I understand it's pretty easy to do, dry it, freeze in plastic containers, they say the ones you keep camera film in works good, and you put some of the little drying things like come in vitamin bottles in it to keep it dry.

If you want to try, let me know, and in the spring I'll send you a piece of Gubijin.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Polly, I would have tried breeding pseudatas if the two species bloomed at the same time. I've never tried to save iris pollen for that long. Might give it a try. I'm trying to stick with smaller-sized wide crosses as space is tight.

I read somewhere that crosses have been made between the 40 and 28 chromosome siberians...did I dream that??? I tried making some today using tetraploid siberians...I'll soon know if it works.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, just let me know if you decide to. I've been told by Chrisy Hensler, and Dennis Kramb that the JI pollen keeps well in the freezer, so I'm going to try it.

I have not heard about successful crosses between the 40 and 28 chromosome sibs, but that doesn't mean anything.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

They are called sibigraphes (I assume that is a name for a siberian X chrysographes)...I saw the reference in Tambergs site.

Meanwhile here are some examples of my first bloom sibtosas for 2009 (2007 crosses)

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

really pleased with this one

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

another keeper...look at the # of blooms for a first-time bloomer!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

some of this years sino-siberian hybrids

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

nice eye on this one

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

nice veining pattern

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and by far my favourite....combo of forrestii, clarkei, chrysographes and bulleyana

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

All nice, but that last one would be my favorite too.

Mine, too. Striking!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! They are so beautiful, Todd!

Here's my excitement for today. Steve Smith's JI (trying to get its official name) opened.
Very tall!

Thumbnail by boojum

One more.

Thumbnail by boojum
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

Gorgeous flowers!!! still drooling. LOL

South Hamilton, MA

I do think the 3 falled JI are nicer. Crisp & more visiable. Stands up to this horrid rain also--can do nothing in the garden.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Wow, those sino-siberian hybrids are beautiful. Love the veining. Combo of forrestii, clarkei, chrysographes and bulleyana also my favorite one.

Can I grow those here? Did you originally get seeds from Signa or do they grow in the wild there, Todd?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Kathy, they are all my own crosses. All should do fine in your area. I did use local forms of hookeri and versicolor in my sibcolor and sibtosa crosses. The sino-siberians species were growing at our botanical garden so I just starting crossing them to see what I would get. I have more funky ones opening today...have to go get pics to show you!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Falling Star JI. A little waterlogged.

This message was edited Jul 2, 2009 1:17 PM

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pleasant Starburst

Thumbnail by pollyk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.