Late June Flowers-June is so florific!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Coming from New June Flowers Thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1000319/#new
Isn't it fantastic, how many beautiful flowers are being shared here? To think, some people don't ever plant a flower.

Prickly Pear with orange centers

Thumbnail by sallyg
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Stormy love that Heronswood Mist!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Stormyla, that is the Honeysuckle. It's a Goldflame, picked it up last year down in S.C. while on vacation. You might have noticed that the backyard is kinda bare. LOL I'm trying not to plant much back there until I get the pond dug and the GH footers in. But I keep collecting plants and sticking them in that back corner bed by the holly hedge, knowing that most of them will have to be moved later.
Love the smoke bush and the hydrangea, still waiting for my lilies (day and otherwise) to open.
Calla Hot Flashes

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Sally for starting the new thread.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--Got a few new pictures of the same old--same old......just more of the same....

Here's my red Epi blooming away. At the rate the blooms have increased every year--I can't wait for next year!!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

BTW--That was my "YUK" bed in the background....

Here's a shot of the whole plant. You can see how many buds it has yet to open.
That huge trunk is my Silver maple-----now you can see how close it is to my "YUK" bed....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Just for fun--here is my Avocado seed growing. have NO idea what i will do with the plant!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is Maya's second bloom turning peach--MANY more buds to come....
Remember---the bud starts out yeloow--then opens to pure white--then turns creamy white and then turns peach.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill's "Not Chocolate daisy" blooming away.
Love to see these get established...same for hart's Clustered bell flowers....I lovbe the thought of these taking over my YUK bed!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

One pink-on-the-outside Regale lily opened up. I think it may be the only one.....
One of the lily plants is kind of dwarfed....crippled....I will forgive them all--as it is only their first year.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

The Rose Souvelons Brug "doing it's thing".....
I tell you--this is one good bloomer! Those of you that got one--How is YOURS doing?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My neighbor's yellow Lily--I always loved this one.
Last Summer--the rabbits chewed off about 4 stems on this to the ground--then ate all the leaves off of it. I don't think it has ever recovered from it, as there is only ONE stem blooming this year.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, My brug has blooms coming on I was so excited. Will post pics when they open.
Your Epi is amazing.

I pulled my Rose Souvelons up to treat it for spider mites, and was very pleasantly surprised to find a huge bud! That is one massive flower! More buds to come on that one, and the other has made itself a new "Y"--all despite mites for which I treated with systemic. The Maya seems less prone to mites. Thanks Gita for both, what fun and excitement.

Mechanicsville, MD

beautiful lilies. I really like the color on the calla lily.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

This has taken a long time to open, Laurentia, Avant Garde Blue. A small flower with a wonderful sweet fragrance,Ohhhhh Chanteeeellllll, here is one for you. Easy to start from seed this winter and great for a filler in combo pots. When it really starts to bloom I want to see if the fragrance is carried in the air. Right now it is a nose to bloom scent.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

Arctic Queen Clematis putting on a show.

This rose is one I did not plant, a piece of it must have come in some fill dirt , but it has taken off and I trimed it into shape early spring. It will grow out of control in a hurry and reach out and grab you.

A close up of the flowers.

I planted these red zinnias in the front of the front porch flower bed for a splash of color. This bed will be a burst of purple beebalm soon.

Gita, your burg I received from you is doing very well, no blooms yet. It had me worried for a while, after I waited before planting it in it 5 gal. pot, we got a chilly spell up here and it lost all it large leaves. But it is now making up for lost time. I really enjoy seeing your blooms.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 1:18 PM

Hi lady, you've ben a bit quiet--must be gardening up a storm!
Um, that surprise rose- may be a wild multiflora rose?

Mechanicsville, MD

Sergeant Peppers Band daylily this one looks better every year.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Chicago Jewel. I was very disappointed with this one the first year it bloomed but it also gets better with age. It took three years for it to look like the picture in catalog.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Chicago Star daylily. Happiest yellow I have ever seen. Large bloom and really sturdy stems

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Russian rhapsody daylily. Second year and so far the blooms have varied. Still very pretty.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Black and blue salvia. I usually see hummers around this one but so far none this year.

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

heron daylily.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 12:14 PM

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Mechanicsville, MD

Siloam bo peep

Thumbnail by wisdomskr
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chris, I also think that does look like wild multi-flora. If you do keep it don't be afraid in cutting it back. Although lovely and some are fragrant, they are invasive and subject to rose rosette disease. Ric
Wisdomskr, that siloam bo peep is fantastic!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 12:26 PM

Ric, I'll definitely keep the rose, this is the first year it has looked nice. I do get a bit of a fragrance from it when I walk in the back yard. It also keeps the neighbors kids from trying to climb or hang over the fence. Have to look up rose rosette disease not familiar with that one.

Sally and everyone, I have been busy since I got home from the swap, and just too tired in the evening to post. I went through a round of follow-up tests Wednesday just to see if everything is still stable, they called yesterday just to tell me everything is good so I would not be worrying over the weekend. I see my Oncologist next Wednesday, we are trying to decide if it is time to get me off the chemo pills.

Wisdom, I like your day lilies, and my Black & Blue did not come back like it did last year. I'm really bummed about that. It was so pretty along with my pink garden phlox.

Coreopsis, Jethro Tull, love the fluted petals.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Chris, if that's multiflora, it will seed all over the place and you'll be fighting weed roses everywhere. Been there and done that. :>( I'm not much for calling plants thugs, but that one is a thug.

You might want to post your photos over in the rose forum and find out for sure what it is. It might also be some perfectly nice rose.

Gita, your lilies are beautiful. And your daylilies, wisdom. I didn't know laurentia was scented, Chris. It sure is a pretty color.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chris do they have a wonderful scent? Looks like the wild rose growing along some of the roads around here... smells great.

Loving all the pics, everyone.

Hart, I guess I'll trim the rose back and toss the hips in the trash. That is a mowed area so not very worried. But the birds will probably carry the seeds, that maybe how it got there in the first place.
The laurentia has a sweet smell, this one was said to bloom a month earlier that others and was listed under fragrant seeds, I am not disappointed in this plant. Will see about saving seeds for next year.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I remember a few years ago all the people from Pa. on the various rose boards were furious because multiflora is apparently a big problem in the forested areas there and the state? federal? wildlife people were spraying something to kill it that was also killing people's good roses. Boy were they mad.

Here is my red painted tongue flower. Grown from seed.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Lady--What is a "Tongue Flower"?
Can't tell how big the bloom is from the picture---LOVE the color!

G.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I've been wanting to plant painted tongue for a couple of years. That one is beautiful, Chris. Do you know what the variety is?

Painted tongue is salpiglossis, Gita. It's in the same family as petunias but grows much taller.

hart, the name on the salpiglossis is Scarlet. My first time growing them, it put out 2 smaller, paler blooms then this one today about the size of a large petunia.
I have it planted in my new extention of the deck bed.
Gita, this may give you a better idea of the size of the flower, the wind was blowing so I had to hold the bloom to get this picture.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Where did you find the seeds, Chris? I just love that color. You know me, my color taste is so subtle. LOL

Duh, forgot I came here to post some photos. Here's a red daylily. The labels have gotten scattered on all these daylilies. One of these days I'll get them sorted out.

Oh for pete's sake, I'm a vegetable tonight. See below.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2009 8:38 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Red daylily

Thumbnail by hart

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.