The Long View 2009 - 2

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/987008/#top

More full bed shots.

Siberian irises and a crabapple tree behind.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry about that post... I was too busy browsing

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Ooops, the crabapple is out of view to the left.

Here's the west side north of the fenced in area. I don't get to this place much. The rhododendrons are suffering from winter burn (except for the white one). I have to move them to the other side of the fence. I want to plant something at the top of the ditch, cascading down to combat weeds. The mower can't get in there now, and the grass is growing tall there. The daylilies are moving to a sunnier spot too.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

No sweat Allison!

The front bed is too green at this time of year. The montauk daisy and monarda are taking over. Not sure what I'm gonna put in there instead.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you must be warmer than me.. my montauk daisies didn't come back

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Last one.

Okay, well there's some color in it, but I'm confused with this bed. It's going to be changing... just not sure what to.

Thumbnail by Sofonisba
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

It was something else. They're hardy, and I'm definitely not warmer than you. Actually, I think I have that wrong over there. I'm 6B.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am still convinced there is some kind of micro climate in my neighborhood... I think we are colder than the zone cart says

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I've got plenty to share!! Are you going to Boojum's? I can cut off a huge chunk for you. You can have many.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

My zone 'cart' is off too. I see stuff blooming earlier just a few miles away.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

for me it's even less than a few miles... several blocks.. the forsythia bloomed around the block 2 weeks before ours did

still not sure about Boo's... going to be a tough one with father's day being at my house

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I'm going to Kathy's too, or I can mail you some chunks too.

Wow, the forsythia bloomed two weeks later? That's interesting.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Dahlianut OR who ever asked about the shoe planted with sempervivums
Its my GD 's old sneaker.
I cut the high tongue off and just planted it,there are 2 actually , each w/ a different typ plant.
Songs your long shots are just fantastic.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Sofonisba, everything takes time. Mine took 20 years. Now I feel I have to add to it as everyone else has shown me different ideas.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Harper your yard looks great, I love all the trellises against the fence. We're in the same boat want to do so much and have no $ to do it...that's why I like going to all the swaps.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Harp!! That shot of the horse in the fog looks right out of a film noir movie.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

SongsofJoy, your new garden around your beloved screened room is looking wonderful.

Sofonisba, love your stand of yellow iris. I have too many of the invasive yellow fla, Iris pseudacorus, but I am gradually eliminating them in favor of especially Siberians and TBI's.

Picture looking east to a couple of newer and still being developed beds that are divided by the deer and rabbit fence. I dug most of the bad iris up from other beds and planted them for fill in these beds and will be digging them out and composting them this year. Bye Bye flag iris. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Victor, I agree.

Here is a view looking north through the deer fence. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looking east from the stairs on the south east side of the garden. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looking up those stairs from the what we call the herb garden. That is stretching it, but we do keep our culinary herbs here. More flag iris to pull. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looking down from those stairs. This was the first garden we planted in 1983. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Looking west from the top of the stairs. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The Stair Misstress. Winnie Girl. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Her sister, Little Nell, in the east yard looking west toward the house. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous Patti! I love the "Looking west from the top of the stairs" shot! Your pups don't wreak havoc on your gardens?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

SongsfoJoy, total monsters! They don't exactly tip toe through the tulips or anything else either! But they are loves too.

Here is the narrow bed next to the house on the east side looking south from the porch. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

We have been dog sitting a beagle this week, who has bad bathroom habits! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. But he is sweet. He goes back to his owner today who has been in NYC for the week. His name is Bubba and he lives in Sanibel Fla in the winter. Yesterday they all had a play date with a Jack Russell. I just closed my eyes when they were all roaring about the yard. I am sure they nailed some lilies. No pictures of the mayhem! Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Last one for today. This is from the porch looking south with some of the GH plants now outside. Off to clean up my potting bench in the, now mostly empty, GH. It is in a nightmare situation. But I cleaned the shed out yesterday, so now I can moved stuff down there and have more room for more mess next year in the GH. I only do this cleaning once a year, but it needs it way more. Lazy. Raining again, so no work outside or more pictures today. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti, You're killing me!!! Your yard is GORGEOUS!!!

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Everything is gorgeous, Patti. Your pups are adorable, too. That deer fence is pretty cool...it's barely visible. I'm so glad that they don't hop our four foot fence, for whatever reason. Maybe not enough temptation, though I keep reading how much they love hosta, so I'm kind of surprised.

Beautiful, Patti! Don't know how you can keep up with all of it.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Songs of Joy - absolutely beautiful pond view ... love the color combination ...

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Patti -- gorgeous lush gardens -- what do you have under and between your flagstones? Did you put down landscape cloth or sand?

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Here's a long shot of the garden last year with the rambling rose I grew from a cutting in full bloom ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

victorgardener -- meant to say earlier your pond shot is fantastic!

That's very pretty, crockny. It must be rewarding to see it blooming like that and know that you've raised it from virtually nothing.

Songs, your pond area is so lovely!

Sonfonisba, your garden is looking great too. I really love the red swing...I'd love to have a swing in the yard. I just don't know if I trust the branches on the tall pines! We're always losing massive ones in the winter.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Flowerjen, It kills me too, at times. I am so happy to have a rain day today.

Noreaster, I have planted most of our hosta in the fenced part because of the deer and rabbits. Is there a slug fence? But I am surprised too about yours behind only a 4' fence and being ignored by the deer, as the Hosta are the first thing they love in the part of our garden that is not protected behind the deer fence. They stop eating it in Mid May, but they only after they have taken the first leaves out as soon as they appear. Deer candy! They also start eating it before it is close to being done in the fall. But most of the summer they don't bother it. I planted caladiums in containers near a bed with a stand of hosta last summer out side the fence right next to the front door and they ate the caladium, but not the hosta all in one night in mid Aug. grrrrrrrrr.

Victor, I don't. I just don't show you the really icky parts! I can't wait to have some maturity to some of it like your amazing gardens. Your pond is stunning.

I am really excited today, as I found buds/flowers on what I had hoped was a reemerging Calycanthus floridus that I had planted about 20 years ago, but that, sadly, disappeared as it was always eaten severely by the deer. A couple of years ago I had noticed volunteer shrub where the Carolina Allspice was originally planted,now behind the deer fence with inkberry and hosta I got very hopeful this spring when I saw Victor's photo of one and so I let it continue to grow and voila, it is one!

crockny, now that is a fence that I love. Great climbing rose. No patience from seed for me. I am not real good with roses anyway, except Rugosa, which is impossible to ruin.

We have laid those paths many times over the years. Some were done right with sand from the start. We did not lay the stairs, but had a mason do those, plus the terraces. But the walking paths are ones that DH and I laid. We have tried landscape cloth under some areas and on others, we just dug and set the stones in the weeded dirt. Our soil is sandy to begin with. They all seem to get about the same amount of weeds. However the new landscape cloth we used under the paths around the endless stream which I then covered with raked pine needles from the drive seems much improved as a weed barrier. This is the second season for them and we have had virtually no weeds so far. It was a light gray spun looking stuff, but I don't remember a brand name. I am trying the left over part of the role in the paths in the veggie bed this year. Patti

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly Songs of Joy! Sofanisba you've come a long way baby! I like your garage and I'm not sure that I would cover it all up but then I'm not living with it. Patti I'm continually awed by your hardscaping.

Yes- there is a slug fence, but it would be very expensive- Copper! I try to buy only slug resistant hosta now, but I have a few cultivars that they do love, so I have placed three inch high copper collars around the base of those. Works great, but I've found it must be a full three inches high or they will still crawl up it. The ones I used the copper collars on last year stayed in great shape all season. Eventually they get hungry enough and they will start taking down even the "resistant" varieties. I guess I should count my blessings that I don't have the deer along with the slugs...no idea why they stay out, but am so thankful that they do.

Have you tried DE, nor?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.