The Long View 2009 - 2

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

No, and I forget the reason why not...do you have to reapply after a rain or watering? If so, that's probably why.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Don't know - luckily I never needed it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thankfully no slugs in my garden (knocking on my head as I type)

Or - slugging yourself?

Here is the oldest part of my garden...the peach Heuchera is pretty this time of year but then seems to stuggle. I keep forcing it to stay there, even though it clearly hates it!

I want to take out that evergreen that is over-growing in there but my husband keeps fighting me on it. I didn't plant it, it was just there when I started.
The "lawn" is looking awful as usual!

Thumbnail by Noreaster
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So pretty, Noreaster.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like where you have the peach heuchera too noreaster.

Thanks, guys. I think the peach heucheras in general like more sun. This spot is pretty shady by mid summer and they start to go downhill, turning green or just not thriving. I have several others planted in sunnier locations, so I sort of rotate them around. Eventually they all have to pay their dues and spend some time next to the birch tree.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I put a purple palace heuchera in sun and it HATES it. I need to move it or lose it. But I too think the peachy heucheras do like more sun. I have a couple of NOID pretty peachy ones from a mix of Gardens North seed that are just little but very happy in morning sun.

South Hamilton, MA

The purple palace grew all right for us, but the leaves really burned. Put in shadier place & lost it, thumbing its nose as it went.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks irisMA. I didn't know it was a persnickety one. I am not very tolerant of persnickety plants unless they are of the Dahlia fam.

Yeah, I don't think the peachy ones ever get too big. Heuchera is frustrating, because it's hard to tell what conditions any given one of them is going to prefer. I have some purple ones that turn the ugliest shade of green if they don't get just the right light. I just learned that they don't like to be too moist, and they should be frequently be replanted deeper whenever they get leggy in the centers. Then I have one type, Guardian Angel, that just looks great every year and seems to need nothing from me to keep it that way.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Guardian Angel looks luvly and has just be entered into the Great Book of Lists joining Autumn Bride and Snow Angel that Stormyla recommends. What light conditions do you have Guardian Angel in Noreaster?

I have a group of three Guardian Angels together and I would say they are in high, dappled shade...really no direct sun, or maybe just sun at the very end of the day, which probably doesn't count for much. They are tall, and nice and full. I hate the flowers, though, which are super tall and a dirty white. I cut those off of this cultivar. It's more purple in the Spring and then goes to silvery purple.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Magnificent :O

I agree about the heuchera - they can be very tricky. And I have lost a few of them. But I do love them.

I wish I had a long view. Poof. I can get a pic of the yard and poof

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Me too! Our pics can be the 'long of the short of it' ^_^ There are a few of us with 'footages' rather than 'acreages'. I hope everyone posts no matter how short the long of the short of it is.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

patti your yard is stunning

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Noreaster, love that combination of plants in your rock outcropping which is such a wonderful feature. I think I remember seeing it when you first posted about planting it. I think that evergreen could be moved to down to anchor the bed. Perhaps to that area with that nice big container. It would allow more of that great rock to be seen. But whatever, it is lovely now. I laugh when anyone says the word "lawn", we barely have "grass" and certainly not a "lawn". The less the better.

Wha, But don't you think it would be better with more JMaples? Perhaps an A. 'orange dream'?

Here is a photo looking north over a red and yellow Iris bed inter planted with sweet fern which is under planted with lots of narcissus and scilla that was taken from the east porch looking toward unfenced front yard. And as you can see it is not a lawn, for sure. The center tree is a lovely beach plum that will have a sea of winter berry behind it for winter interest. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

This is my view from our second floor bedroom and my computer chair looking north over the harbor to Great Point. Now hate me!. Too rainy and windy to see much now as I sit here tonight. We need to top a couple of exuberant cedars soon. Just a haircut to keep our view open. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Now I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate you!!!!

Yes, me too. I would add a third level!

Wow, Patti, your property is really amazing. And your lawn looks ten times better than mine!

My yard and garden is pretty small, too. And although I do sometimes wish for more space, I occasionally get overwhelmed just taking care of what I have, so it's probably for the best. I do know that I will have to thin out my hosta collection in a few years, though. They seem to be happily growing away, with no sign of stopping.

Patti, I think I probably could have moved that Evergreen back when I first unburied it (it and the entire rock ledge was completely buried in weeds and small trees.) I didn't even know that rock was there until I started ripping stuff out. Unfortunately, the evergreen got a lot happier once the other stuff was gone and has about doubled in the four years since then. I would also imagine the roots are seriously entwined with the rocks that are under that bed. It's just in rotten place, right behind the birch tree if you look at the bed from straight on, and is much too big for my liking. It bugs me so much.

Here is the same area from four years ago. You can see the evergreen was much smaller, next to the birch.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

Oh Patti stop! You're making me so unhappy with my yard!! LOL!

Seriously though - it's just beautiful! How many years have gone into it?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

beautiful shots!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Patti !!!!! those are beautiful shots.The Iris are breathtaking in with those non blooming plants.
What a great planner you are.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

everything is better with a japanese maple and some rocks

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

I spent Memorial week helping my Mom with her yard. Once her's was done I was able to direct attention to my own. Here's today's pic. I still have some plants to be potted up & some clean-up to do but most of it is done.
Scuba Cat is back! That's the little guy at the top of the steps going down to the gate. I move him around for every weekly update pic.
It's my own version of "Where's Waldo". My friend's kids love to look each week to see who finds SC first. LOL!

Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Noreaster, Wow, I must have seen your pictures after you found your wonderful rock ledge. I remember you posting it. I think it is worth trying to move that evergreen if you can move your husband to that opinion too. Or just trim it way back to be a dwarf so it doesn't compete with the birch. But what a transformation.

SongsofJoy, yeah sure. You have a stunning yard, plus you did the building too!

gabagoo, I am so happy to see the start of your wonderful container collection again this year. I love following it's progression. Mine have been planted, but are looking kind of sparse at the moment. Not fit for photographing yet.

Thanks all. A Third floor is not an option, as I am too old to climb more stairs. Rocks are not much in the future either on this pile of sand. We have one good rock, but hardly the size of Doane Rock in Eastham on the Cape or Noreaster's fine one.

DH and I and one helper started clearing the property very gradually in the early spring of 1981 with machetes, before we started the house in the late fall of that year. I wanted to save and build around as much of what was on the property as we could before siting the house. We moved a couple of big cedars with a bulldozer and lost only a couple of pitch pines by winding the drive through the existing trees. We hired a local gal who worked with natural plantings to do the initial landscaping. She and I went to Sylvans nursery and picked out the stock, but she did the drawings and all the work. I had a toddler and a business to run, plus no knowledge of trees and shrubs, and very little knowledge of anything but a veggie garden and that was even sketchy.

The initially planting consisted of a big bed of sweet fern, another bed of rugosa, one with High bush blueberries with sweet fern and mugo pines, And the north bed that had a small scrub oak that I found in the middle of the future drive that I wanted as feature someday that she dug and planted for me along with more rugosa, mugo and inkberry, as well as with illex convexa & crenata. She planted climbing hydrangea on the retaining wall. Those were the bones around the house on the east, west and north sides. We planted a stand of Nyssa sylvatica and a group of clethera and some more high bush blueberries, the beach plum trees and a couple of crab apples, plus a now dead red swamp maple out in the yard. We had her plant a nice collection of heath and heather, but I never could keep them happy, so they are long gone too. She planted some stands of scotch broom that I just replaced this spring, as the original ones got too woody, so I pulled them out a couple of years ago. We had her plant some viburnums, a Quercus robur Fastigiata and a Liquidambar, and a Platanus x acerifolia when our son was a bit older, about 6. He helped push the hand cart that they were on and then helped to dig the holes, so they were small.

The rest has been added mostly by us over the years. We dug and planted all the flower beds and the shade garden and endless stream. We have added to all those initial beds, but in moderation, things like rug juniper, hypericum, a couple of Japanese maples, some spirea and spring bulbs. I like the them rather simple and wedded to the natural parts on the property, so I almost regret adding the iris over the last couple of years, but not too much as I like the early color. If I find it not right in a year or two, I will move them. I am glad Ge1836 agrees! Since 2002 when we sold our second bookstore, we have been able to do a great deal more work. Raining still or I would be out doing some.

Here are some shots of those beds in a collage. Clearing, so out to plant some glads. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi all just posted my art studio sale pieces on Garden Photos.
Artsy Fartsy.

DH finally finished the steps on the patio - bluestone treads on rock base! I think I'll paint the white strip to match the house color so it doesn't stand out as much. I had envisioned the first stair being level with the bottom of the french doors, but I came home and found it like this. Oh well, I didn't actually TELL him that's how I envisioned it so I can't complain.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Very nice. I have the same outside my porch. I agree about the paint.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

That looks fantastic. Wouldn't having the top stair level with the door have required an extra tread and thus I think it would have taken up more patio room. I agree that you should paint it. But it is a wonderful job that I loved seeing from paper to the finished project. I need to see it someday in person. When is your open house? Patti

Christina - can you hear the waterfall from there??

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

very nice!

Thanks to both of you. Patti - maybe some year I'll host a round-up. Or if you're ever passing through Southern NH, let me know (since I plan to find YOU next time I go to Nantucket!! ;o). Victor - I can hear the big waterfall from here but it's facing the opposite direction so it's a little too faint for my liking. So I added the small pond and small waterfall next to the patio so that I would be able to enjoy the sound up close.

Here's the small pond taken from inside the house. (Can't wait till the shrubs start hiding some of that fence!)

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Cool!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

SongofJoy, I will make it easy for you to find me. I'll pick you up! I love your duelling water features. I could totally be happy with another one on our east side for our morning tunes. Patti

I just bought a dribbling fountain for the front.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.