The Long View 2009 - 2

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I dribble all the time. Patti

New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

The sound of water is addicting, isn't it? I keep trying to refrain from buying fountains but I seem to want them everywhere!

Oops - meant to add that I'll take you up on that someday Patti!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The new patio is a gorgeous SongsofJoy! We have narrowed our choices for patio stone down to 2, 'Charmin' and 'West Coast Brown' but I want to compare the 'rustic' of the herb garden and edging stones to them first before deciding. They had a big bubbling rock at the stone yard that I really, really want but it probably weighs a tonne so DH gave me a funny look when I suggested getting it.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I really love water. Been planning a bubbling large vase (oil jar type) for years, but the pots are very $$$, so I decided to buy this one (on sale) for now.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm wondering if you can make your own bubbling rock if you drill a hole through the side of the rock and feed in the hose and then roll it? My DH killed himself laughing when I suggested it but I think it's doable. (Maybe, sorta)

D-nut, I'd say it's definitely doable! My little waterfall (above) is just a boulder that we drilled a hole through and then fed tubing up through the hole.

Victor, I think I know the type of vase you're talking of. I, too, have been eyeing those!!

Like this:

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Yes, nice! I have my heart set on something like this one...

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Nice. My pic is not the one I want. Would like a nicer color and about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 ft tall.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

enablers!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti, you're really killing me, I even love your house!

Songs, it came out really nice, yes I'd paint the strip too.

Love those vases...I was going to say "jugs" but I knew the comments I'd get about that.

Nice jugs?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone!!

Patti, so THAT'S what they're called. I got them from another gardener. I don't even remember who. The slugs ate the flowers and now they look awful. So they're invasive too... good to know. Wow, those shots are beautiful. I think your garden is one of my favorites. I feel like I'm in a botanical garden when I look at your pictures. Your dogs are beautiful too. I don't hate you. I want to be your best friend and get invited over!

Another gorgeous garden!! Crockny, your gardens take me away...

Noreaster, my swing is attached to the joists of a treehouse. No worries of branches quitting on me. Where do you get 3" strips of copper for your slug fencing?

Christina, you have nothing to be unhappy about with your yard! Whoa, yours is so beautiful. A pure oasis.

Dahlianut, what did you mean about covering up my garage?

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Lookin' good Nancy! I agree with Patti. It's wonderful following the progression. Finding Scuba Cat is fun too!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful job Songs!
I love both the "crock" and the "vahhhhhse"

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

When anyone is coming to Nantucket, just dmail me and I will try to give you the tour with a trowel and a weed bucket! I'll bet I could never pull another summer weed again if I was smart. I pulled a huge load of the yellow flag iris yesterday. I have a great deal more to do away with, but I agree that they are pretty. I will leave a few until I can divide some other things to take there place, but I will dead head every one of them. No Mas!

I am heading up towards Wha's today with some goodies, no flag iris, however. I will drool for you all.

Victor, Flowerjen had you figured for a jug-head! But I suppose you will make a gorgeous fountain out of one or perhaps a pair of nice ones! I would like to see a picture of your new fountain. I like those simple round spheres that have water flowing out of the top and around them. I have a perfect spot for one, now I just need a pile of 10 spots to afford one. Maybe I can find one in the fall on sale. Patti

Hey Patti - if you're heading to Pepperell, just keep driving another 30 minutes north and drop those goodies off here instead ;o). Bill doesn't need any more!

(Just kidding, of course!)

Edited to fix typo

This message was edited Jun 7, 2009 7:46 AM

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Sofonisba, I bought some thick copper foil off ebay last year and cut it to the size I needed. It was thick enough to do the job, but still cuttable with scissors, which was great. Copper isn't cheap, but at least I can reuse them every year, so it was a good investment. The collars only work on the hosta whose leaves don't touch the ground or overlap others, however...so there are limitations. I'm mustering up the courage to go out there with an ammonia/water solution next.

I like the bubbling jar fountains. I saw a water feature in Vegas that was kind of interesting that was made out of a clear glass ball.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i need all i can get soj!!

Your beautiful pictures tell a different story ;o)

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Patti, If I ever get to Nantucket, I will happily pull weeds for you!

Thanks for the info Noreaster!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, me too. We can have a weeding party, but with a lot of sight seeing breaks in between.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

song patti stopped by and was more than generous - if you drive south 30 minutes by tomorrow we can share - otherwise they are in dirt:)

Ok - I'll be right over! :)

Glad you made out like a bandit. You'll have to post some more pictures once they're in the dirt.

Gotta love when a woman says she'll be right over for your rocks. ^_^

What? Patti brought ROCKS?!?!

I'd definitely take some of those too!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

GRooooooan

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

only you victor - she brought plants - jeez

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

No rocks, wha has plenty of those. Well, he has plenty of everything and everything, I must say, looks stunning. He built a new wall yesterday. But I found his secret. He has attached to his wheel barrel a giant red boom box. I think he must set the speed at super fast while he moves his real estate from one side of his house to the other.

I am going to spend the afternoon at Boojum's. So by the time I go home after seeing these two gardens I am going to be depressed. My plants are on the whole in Nantucket are puny compared to their gardens . My garden here in Vt is beyond weedy, maybe I will tackle it tomorrow. Patti

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Such beauty!
Such effort!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

patti i think you are being polite - your yard looks fantastic - thx

This collage could be better. Anyways if you look at the pics.
We go from June 2008 with no flowers, and now today. 2 flower beds. Still a lot to be done.

Thumbnail by
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sofanisba 'Dahlianut, what did you mean about covering up my garage?' Waaaaay back on the other thread on June 4th you said you wanted to do something to cover it. I luv the pouring jars! Now I have to think about one of those as WELL as a bubbling rock. Looking good schikenl! I need to take more pics methinks!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice progression with that bed Sherrie.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

view of garden from the driveway

Thumbnail by jumper2
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly jumper2!

South Hamilton, MA

Especially after SIL has mowed. So much better with the perrinials taking place of the annuals which were the original start of the gardens.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks. I still need to weed to the right of the pic. Grass with roots to China!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice progress Sherrie... it's looking great

very pretty Jumper

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.