The Long View 2009 - 2

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

or getting close to the side - i'm new to potting trees too

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gosh, you all have gorgeous-to-die-for long AND short views! (Harper, Patti IS already my best friend, she can't be yours too. Just kidding - she is infinitely friendly.) I'll just sit here on my pile of weeds for a while longer. Nice eye candy, everyone, though, thank you for the treat!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

OMG, Patti!
That view in post #6645687 is to die for! I think I need you for my mentor.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, candyce.

I took many pictures today, so I will post a new batch soon. I riped out a couple of wheel barrels full of yellow flag iris and then move a mess of Siberian iris to fill in the holes. I pruned back some branches on the big crab as it was obstructing my views and I cleaned up some shrubs. Then I had a friend stop by for a couple of hours to dig up goodies for her garden. She left with a car load.

I need to move one of my favorite roses, 'Mordens sunset' as it is clashing with its neighbors, but I have a nice place to move it to tomorrow. Too tired today. Plus I have dreaded housework to do now. Avoiding. House guest coming tomorrow, but they are bringing Maine Lobsters down with them so they pass go. Patti

Patti! Lobster! After all that work, you deserve more than one!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Funny you say lobster Patti...DH had a 2.5 lb for his 45th B-Day last week.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

love lobsta!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG how long did he starve to get it all in? I have to train to eat a 2 lb. I can eat copious amounts of Alaska King Crab though. I think you burn each leg off fighting to get the next one out of the shell.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

YUM!!!!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

He didn't starve at all, believe me!! lol He bought me one too..I got the claws done that night and the tail the next day. Way to big for me in one stting.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks like you're comparing bling, Celeste!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

We were! ^_^

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Conquered the grass in this bed! New ones to do! Hollyhocks should bloom soon.

Thumbnail by jumper2
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Other end of that bed under the JM. Ladies Mantle and hosta behind.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by jumper2
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very pretty Jumper

Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

I can't keep up with you guys... a few days and the thread is a mile long!!!!

today long views:

roses: Orange flower circus and Brother Grims Fairy tale...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Framingham, MA(Zone 6a)

a side view...

Thumbnail by Kassia
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Beauty follows you everywhere Kassia!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes it does

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Kassia I am in love with that rose! and those pink flowers... if you don't mind, what are they?

Kassia, I love the side view. It's gorgeous!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Love that the roses are finally starting to open here. We have sun today. I have put together the long and the short of some of out views. Roses Flutterbye and Marmalade Skies. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

A fun rose that is trying to hide, as it knows that I am about to move it to another bed, called 'Purple Tiger' I am trading places with 'Morden's sunset which is not happy with being near rugosa Hansa and Roseraie de l'hay Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is part of the bed that I am moving 'Purple Tiger' to tonight. It will be happy with the Siberian iris and other rosa rugosa.

There a big bed of rugosa up near the house. My poor DH always prunes them back in March and always gets major thorns and scratches. We leave them uncut for the birds in the winter. I took out all the yellow flag iris in this collage after taking this photo and I then moved some big clumps of Japanese Iris to replace the yellow ones that were crowding each other. I have lots of new shrubs and tall perennials planted in here that you can't see that should total change the look of this bed by next year. Can't wait. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Patti, how much property do you have?(Have I asked before?)

Looking wonderful, I love the pink mottling on post 6701280, which rugosa is that?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks flowerjen, that rose is Floribunda Rose 'Purple Tiger' I like striped roses. We have about 2.6 acres. But some of the long views include property that is not ours, but is either conservation land or is un-buildable by others. We have at least a 1/2 and acres that we are just beginning to thin out the junk and saving the good trees and shrubs, but it will take years. Patti

This view has a group of Rugosa 'Sir Thomas Lipton'. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Part of the south walk. Lavender are close to opening, and the scent is already divine. I am planting more today in a newish bed, but the ones on the east and south sides are ones we planted in the early 80's. I am very happy to have them back this summer as many were apparently lost this winter in gardens on Nantucket. Mine seemed fine. I can't tell munstead from hidcote or grosso or any of the others I have planted without a tag and many aren't tagged. The new ones will be tagged and I can then maybe sort out what the old ones are. Love the mystery. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

My goodness, Patti. I love that pathway. Is it always in full sun? I can recognize most of the beauties planted there, so I'm just wondering how much sun that spot gets. I don't have lavender though. Doesn't that need more water than the other plants?

Sorry for all the questions.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Candyce, full sun on the south side of our passive solar green house. It grows well on the east side with lots of morning sun to. It does not get more water in my garden. The ones on the south side get more as we water there more because of other plants, but on the east it gets much less, and I can see no difference in them. We have sandy soil which I think is key. My chef son uses it when he is home in cooking. I just use it to look at and smell.

This is a better long view of one of 5 of the Sir Thomas Lipton roses with an noid Siberian iris among the grey Artemisia which is invasive, but manageable and I do love the color. Lots of lilies to come in the mix soon. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

The Veggie bed is in, but it has been doing nothing for weeks except growing weeds. DH cleaned it up yesterday. It is on a slope and in part shade, but it is the best place we could put it that was not totally in view of the house, yet accessible and inside the deer fence. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

All so very pretty Patti! I'm in love with that bright yellow rose, actually any yellow rose will do.^_^

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

always great shots Patti

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

fantastic patti - really beautiful!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautious patti. What is the spikey white flower that looks like a lupin on top but opens wide in the collage you posted at 12:23? Thanks.

Patti I love everything as usual. : ) I really want some Alliums for next year. I am trying to be good and wait until late summer to order some. Can I ask which ones you have there with the Gladiolus byzantinus? I like the combo and it just so happens I was planning on planting them in that area and get rid of some of these red poppies. It is clashing with everything out there. I have a lot of red flowers to attract the hummingbirds but I feel like my garden is looking a bit gaudy. That's why I haven't been posting pictures.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

I want to move this Weigela I really don't like it. : ( If any one wants it do you have some white perennials to trade? lol

Thumbnail by Meredith79

NOt as bad from this angle, but it still needs to be moved.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

My butterfly garden has a white lupine where only blue have been planted.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

STill need to paint.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

My butterfly garden that I can't fit in the picture without a helicopter. Or a better lens. : ) IT actually accidentally ended up looking like the shape of a butterfly.

Thumbnail by Meredith79

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.