May flowers...& why I garden.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Mock Orange, Philadelphus "Manteau d'Hermine" a dwarf

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Now this is one fire engine red Rhodo. Name is "Vulcan"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

The Double Knockouts are just loaded! Great roses for a shade garden.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This "Peace" Rose blooms really well in shade, but requires constant spraying.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Rugosa "Fimbriata" blooms really well and repeatedly in shade but I've always been disappointed in the color of the blooms. They were supposed to be deep pink.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lo and behold! Look what happened today! Gardens are just so full of wonderful gifts!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been waiting 4 years for this Viburnum Dentatum "Arrowwood" to bloom.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Another of the mini Spanish Brooms all ablaze! Just 18" tall.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My "Autumn Sunset" climbing Rose......The first flush is always to die for....then it is more sporadic.....
The buds start out orangy--then a deep yellow--and then a lighter yellow as they fade.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a closer look--see the colors?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This just opened too....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Did I already show you all this Clematis? It has never been so double!
It is called "Proteus"....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And my pink Foxglove just keeps on marching up!

edited to say--it is growing practically under the climbing rose. You can see it in the first picture....

This message was edited May 24, 2009 7:19 AM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, That Autumn Sunset is beautiful. So is the "Proteus"

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

All these flowers are beautiful! You all are about 2 weeks ahead of me as far as blooms, my Iris are just showing color and foxgloves are in tight buds.
Are roses blooming early or is this the normal time for them in your zones?

This message was edited May 24, 2009 7:58 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, It seems to me that most things are blooming early this year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes... my climbing rose by the deck is in full swing, and I don't remember it blooming until June usually.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice everyone!
Gita love the colors on Autumn Sunset.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi all :)

Gita, your coleus reminds me of opal with all the specs of color.

Holly, I like your purple and white iris. We have solid white and solid purple only here.

Thumbnail by wind

I planted the heuchera brownies from stormyla in front of St. Fiacre

Thumbnail by wind

These aren't really "May flowers", but I'll post a pretty photo of collard green yellow blooms next

This is Critter's Italian basil and chocolate cherry tomatoes along with some blue spice basil, also started from seeds

Thumbnail by wind

collard blooms ~ make great cut flowers

Thumbnail by wind

flax is pretty this year

Thumbnail by wind

from seed from a DG swap

Thumbnail by wind

I love weeds too, this is Eastern daisy fleabane ~ in the aster family
coral honeysuckle in the background

that is it for now...I have to get back out in the garden :)

Thumbnail by wind
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Pretty weed, Wind.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think the Knockouts and Clementius know tomorrow is Memorial Day.They're ready for a show. Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

All I need is something white. Help me Stormy!

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly/Ric, Something that climbs?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, Ric posted that, not sure.
Wind, would you like me to mark a clump of those for you? I have some extra down in the garden. Not sure when is the best time to dig them I would think this fall or next spring. But if we get together and I don't have to mail them I could dig and pot them anytime.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wind, Your iris and fern bed looks beautiful. What kind of ferns are they?

Collards, I'm always buying and cooking them and never seem to get them just right. Love their blooms. That weed is very pretty. I've let a large Ironweed grow and it's blooms are very welcome in late August.

Hi Holly, that would be great :) definitely don't ship them though (costs too much!). We'll just have to get together again someday. I meant to ask you if that was the first time you both hosted a swap or if it was a regular event for you? Also LMK if you want any plain white or solid dark purple Iris, we can trade.

Stormy I think the ferns are Ostrich ferns, they came from a friend. They spread nicely and I always have plenty to share. I'll bring some the next time I make it to a Mid-Atlantic swap.

I like ironweed too.

Thumbnail by wind
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, That was our first host. Ric said if we had waited another year we would have had more done in the back yard as there are a lot of projects planned for there this summer. But I told him I will never run out of projects for him. LOL
Usually there are different people in different areas that host a swap that way we try to cover more of the mid Atlantic region and there maybe more than one a year. Anyone can host just set up what suits you and invite everyone. We had a wonderful time doing it.
I will mark that iris for you. I have plenty of white ones. maybe a dark purple we'll see.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You're blessed to have such a wonderful hubby.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Indeed she is! Like the geranium, Wind.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I am very lucky, he is a very special man. Takes such good care of me.
A few new Iris opened in the last couple of days.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one is out in my lamppost bed. I remember planting it last year but I don't know where it came from or what it is. If anyone has these please let me know. Might have come from Critters fall swap last year. I just remember that it had already finished blooming when I planted it and I had no idea what it would look like when it bloomed.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

phew- came late to this party and just caught up- so I am not the only one wiht lots of pretty flowers in the yard about now? ha Here's the iris I call Lucy (don't know the real name) and gave to several people at Swap.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I wanted to show you some Memorial deay stuff from my HD....We were SO busy! I worked in garden half-days both Saturday and Sunday (my table set-up)....

We had to put flags up on every end-cap--the length of the store. i have to say it was beautiful!

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here is my table outside from last Sunday...I try to put things on it that seem appropriate to the holiday...LOTS of color!

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.