May flowers...& why I garden.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's the japanese honeysuckle you need to watch out for. I've got Lonicera americana (not a US native, despite the name) and Coral Honeysuckle... both vigorous growers, but not invasive species.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Critter

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Stormy, if you don't want vines, what about climbing roses or espaliered fruit trees? If you get enough sun there.

Critter, I'm glad you got some pussytoes on your pussytoes. LOL Just let me know if you need more of the little veronicas.

Here's a bunch of pretty honeysuckles that are the good garden kind. I saw that Mandarin on Gardner's Diary and it was stunning.

http://www.gardentalkonline.com/nursery/catlist.php?cat_id=7&index_start=11 BTW, I know nothing about this place for buying, just looked for a site where you could see a lot of them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Hart, I was just going to check the Rose Forum for a good source. I have 250' to do, so I want a number of different things.

I don't know if there are flowering vines for the very shaded portion except maybe Hydrangea. I did find a pink climbing Hydrangea. Then I'll be going broke buying trellises. Maybe I'll go to the flea market and try to find a bunch of beat up ladders!!! If they were freestanding and the kind that opens up, they might be cute. Different plant growing up each side.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pics Hart and I agree that ladder is a real piece of garden art.

Gita, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, The Honeysuckle is a Monrovia plant called Goldflame Honeysuckle. Description is Purple to deep pink buds open to golden yellow tubular flowers that are bright pink outside. Twining stems to 15ft long. I would be glad to "try" to get it to root for you.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Not many places selling roses online right now. I think there's a place in NC or SC that's still selling. You certainly don't want to order from J&P. Just read their watchdog reviews. Or Park or Wayside - they now own J&P.

Try Lowes. They had some nice climbers when I was there the other day and you have a year's guarantee on them.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Hart.

Holly, I might have to look for that Honeysuckle!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I picked up 'Goldflame' at Walmart last year...boy was I excited!! I have that and the other two Jill spoke of 'Americana' (from her actually) and the Coral Honeysuckle via a trade a couple years ago...they're all playing nice together.
Stormy - Becs ordered quite a few roses as I recall - she'd be a good one to check for sources too.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Chantell. I will.

That reminds me I have many partially opened roses right now. And guess what I found this afternoon.

Peony, Karl Lagerfeld. OOOOOps that's Karl Rosenfeld!!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

And look at this one just dying to burst into blooms in all of that shade!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Beautiful color. It looks like my Bowl of Beauty but darker.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Hart, that's what attracted me to it. I have a dozen of them. I just ordered another dozen through the co-op of Coral Charm. I'm going to put one beside each of these. Next year I may add a yellow.

I really do love it late in the summer when they are full of powdery mildew. It looks like I've got tall silver leafed bushes in these dark beds!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oooooo. Coral Charm is gorgeous. Have you tried spraying them with baking soda water?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

No Hart, I like them silver!!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My Roses haven't opened quite yet but the first of my Clematises are just starting.
My Peony isn't even close yet. There is one down at Josh's house that looks dark and will soon open. Ric and I spent a couple of hours down there weeding and planting yesterday. Josh bought his house last fall so it is interesting to see what will pop up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Oooookaaaayyyy, Stormy. LOL

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I love looking through everyone's photos! I haven't gotten many good flower pictures lately, but I wanted to share the pics of the Peruvian daffodils that I got earlier this year (I think Chantell was the one who posted about them being at Wal-Mart?).

Thumbnail by Kubileya
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

And here is a surprise I found in the woods right behind the chicken coop

Jack in the Pulpit

Thumbnail by Kubileya
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lovely, Kubileya. I love Jacks! I really like to watch their different stages. They are so neat when they come up looking like a cobra. Then way cool when the bloom opens. I really like their leaves too. RCN has some really neat ones. Didn't know you also do poultry!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Be sure you dig your Peruvian bulbs in the fall, Kubi. They won't overwinter. Aren't they cool? That's a really pretty one.

Okay, took some more pictures today. Here's my favorite mock orange. It has huge blooms and a wonderful scent.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Little closer shot of the blooms.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

First rose of the year - New Dawn climber.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Guess what this one is.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

It's the Dr. Huey rootstock from a rose that died. It's thriving in my black walnut zone that kills every other rose and it blooms like crazy every year.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A pink and cream peony

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Several peony blooms

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

This one is darker and a bit redder than it looks here

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Siberian iris with some catnip that popped up next to it.

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Waterlily

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

American wisteria

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wisteria again

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Honeysuckle

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

A heuchera, I forget the name

Thumbnail by hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

More peonies

Thumbnail by hart
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh Hart, Look at all your beautiful Peonies!!! The dark pink one is my favorite. The Sib Iris is beautiful I've never grown Catnip! My dwarf Philadelphus is blooming. The big one like yours is one of the ones that my neighbor dug up.

You should name that rose "Die Hard". Pretty Honeysuckle.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Stormy, I don't think your Weigela is Wine & Roses, mine is just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Here is a picture of the whole shrub. It was just a twig when I bought it from Bluestone, I raised it in a pot till it was big enough to go out in the garden.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Lady, You're right. I just realized that today when I saw one at a garden center. I'll have to look that one up. Yours is pretty. Maybe I'll replace my lost one with a Wine & Roses. I was also wrong about losing all 6 Kerria. I found one surviving today.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

OK, Here we go:
Varigated Weigela Florida "French Lace"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

"Old Fashioned" Variegated Weigela Florida

Thumbnail by stormyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.