May flowers...& why I garden.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, I have that Daughter of Stars too. It's very pretty. A little shorter than my other TBI.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This one's called "Big Apple"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Columbine, this is a nice compact plant, with dark pink flowers

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

These Allium "Mont Blanc" came from the Blooming Bulb Co-op. They were the biggest Allium bulbs I ever saw. Too bad the voles ate the older purple ones that were planted beside them. The new ones were planted in the Permatil. All of the purples got eaten this winter. Imagine expletives in this space.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Love the way the Columbine shows against the azalea. This one is even looking up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, Very pretty. I like how that Columbine is upward facing.

These are my first Dutch Iris. Right now they are not standing up very well in my very windy bed.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, Holly, That Blue is beautiful.

Little Snow in Summer is reliably popping out.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is an older NOID Iris. It is a rebloomer. Lost a lot of the older Iris to the voles this winter.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have two different Weigelia blooming right now. I think this one is called Wine & Roses. It has gold edges on the leaves. I planted two, but the Alianthus poison killed the other one.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Look what went walking by while I was posting flower pics. We don't seem to have problems with them eating our yard plants so it's nice when they visit. Some times they will get a drink from the birdbath or help them selves to a few sunflower seeds but mostly they just move by working along the hedgerow.
Sorry terrible pics.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, I'd like to get a few Weigela. Wine & Roses was one of the ones I was looking at, do you like it? I've read different reviews on it. Here is a nice tall purple. I have a couple of these big guys. This one just happens to sit near my big white azalea.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These wood hyacinths are a favorite of mine, too.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's the other one with white leaf margins. I planted two of these 3 years ago about 8' apart. This one is about 4' x 4'. The other one is more shaded and is about 2' x 2'.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Holly. I really like it and am sorry that I lost the other one.

That purple Columbine is really nice.

Bambi is looking well fed!

Tiarella Dark Star and Heuchera Purple Petticoats and Stachys.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormyla, Would you know what this is off hand? Critter asked me I didn't have it marked. I know it came from one of the DG Co-ops. I should be able to work my way though the lists I saved and find out but I thought you might recognize it by sight.
Edited to add: There were two of them Bambi's, the pic with both was even worse than the one I posted and you are right. They were "Big" deer.

This message was edited May 20, 2009 8:37 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm not sure Holly. That leaf shape is really deeply cut. Does it stay that color in 3 seasons? I may not have one like it. I'll look. Fast & easy ID is to post it on the Heuchera Forum. Those folks love to guess!! Funny, Terry never seems to mind people posting for ID's on that forum.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Stormyla, I know you have quite a few of them. If I can't find a tag for it I will try the forum.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice, Stormy...love your rock edging.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jen. It was a long time in the making.

Holly, I checked and I don't have a Heuch exactly like yours.

This orange poppy opened yesterday.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Iris is called "Speaking Freely"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Bec, This is one of those "Mini" Brooms I was speaking of. Planted last fall, it's about 18" tall now and should stay under 30" I Think it was called Cystus Spanish

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Heuchera Snow Angel. These came through the winter like troopers and were one of the first to start looking really good in the spring.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Nice Columbine "Denver Gold" came from RCN. It is very healthy.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is Columbine "Nora Barlow"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This is Columbine "Black Barlow".

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This columbine is "White Barlow" I just love this one.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This columbine is "Red Cardinal"

Thumbnail by stormyla
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Awww, Stormy!

They are all so beautiful!
Do you buy these as plants--or do you grow them from seed?

I have never paid attention to names--just any old Columbine will do. But not really---I have a short, dark blue one next to a tall, lanky pink one.....They look odd together.

This is the short, blue one....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

That's really pretty Gita. I like both your & holly's purple. I have a lavender one that's not blooming yet. Come to think of it, I don't know if it overwintered. I might have to get a dark purple one.

The columbines, I bought 1 or 2 small plants each. Then I keep digging up and moving the babies. Now they are everywhere.

The poppies, I grew from seed. Lost a couple this spring to that constant rain. These orange are in my front shrub bed. I have hugh reds in a small sunny bed in the back of the house.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love the columbines.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Jen

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, love the columbines and just love that you have names for most, if not all, your plants. Somewhere down the line I would like to do that. Even when I get "named" plants I either don't get them marked or loose their tags. I did get a label maker and metal plant markers so there is some hope for me yet.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh, no Holly. I had a total disaster this year. Last fall my nieces came & spent 3 days in the garden with me doing nothing but plant look up and labeling. Picture laptop in the beds, actually on the hammock! Even though there were supposed to be, turns out the markers were not UV safe. I've lost virtually all of the names and have to start over again. Luckily I still remember some. Fortunately for the daylilies that came from the DL society, I left their tags on as well.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I will save some babies for you for the fall.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the tall pink one--sorry! i did not get a pic of it when it was blooming better...and it is out of focus....Can anyone guess the name of this???

Thumbnail by Gitagal
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

awwwww, thanks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Stormy and Holly---

I suppose that is why people keep a garden Journal on DG...Post the pictures and the names....
Well--I don't either--and, as i said, names to me are not important.....Just if they are beautiful, a nice color, and grow well....

Took another picture of the pink Foxglove growing at the base of my "Autumn Sunset" climbing Rose....it sure has grown a lot--and I like this one the best.....
Will make sure I collect some seeds......
Name anyone???

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My Purple/Blue irises are blooming at this time too....

See that little, brown pot? it is one of my small daturas I grew.....Sure hope it gathers some momentum in about a week or so.....It too was a "victim" of my issues of the size of my seedlings.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is one of the most unusual Coleus colors I have seen....Must be something new....It is a Sun Coleus...and the camera does not do justice to the colors in it.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantelle--here is the CG Brug you gave me---It is growing well--even if slowly....

And, I DO want to say a belated THANK YOU for bringing me the BIG Dr. Seuss Brug. It is all potted up and sitting in the shade to "settle in".
You did not have to do this! The CG would have been fine! But--I am happy to have the Dr. once again......
How is the Brug I gave you doing? Where, and how, did you pot it up? Has it grown well?

Thanks again, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.