Picture of the Day - Part 4

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Here you go Hetty, this is not a Plumeria>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

YAY!!!
(Not that I have anything against plumeria of course LOL I just don't want to clobber everyone over the head with them)

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am not afraid to clobber folks with coleus photos.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I can do it repeatedly>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

See>

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Natal Plum.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

Canna. F-series something or another. Can't remember right now.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora

plumeria
LOL
I detect a 'white' theme starting.

Thumbnail by
Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh I love white flowers!

Euphorbia - Diamond Frost...

Thumbnail by KatG

Plain old pretty white petunias...

Thumbnail by KatG

Stephanotis just gets prettier and prettier!

Thumbnail by KatG

White Phal...

Thumbnail by KatG
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

While we're on white...

Rangoon Creeper....just opened white today, tomorrow will be pink and then red. Wonderful melony scent

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Chichester, NH(Zone 5b)

White Buddleia - Butterfly Bush

Thumbnail by astcgirl
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Very nice whites! Here's one with a touch of pink. Clerodendrum chinense - one of the most attractive of the Clerodendrum flowers, I think. Looks like a bouquet of miniature roses. No fragrance. The downside is that it (like other Clerodendrums) can be very invasive. I am growing it in pots. It tends to spread by underground roots, not by seed, so I think I can keep it contained.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Gorgeous White's everybody....Haven't seen that Clerodendrum Jeremy! Very pretty.

Here's some white Mandevilla

Thumbnail by KatG

White salvia.

Thumbnail by wren107
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Was afraid I didn't have any white to follow suit, but found the fading amaryllis bloom...

Thumbnail by bjf826
Huntsville, AL(Zone 7a)

Dusty Miller accenting the "necklace" of the peach tree

Thumbnail by bjf826

white rose taken at Washing Oaks State park

Thumbnail by wren107

New geranium that I get in St Augustine last Sunday

Thumbnail by wren107

I love white flowers, especially if they are a white form of a flower that isn't usually white (like the white variety of Stoke's Blue Aster which I've only seen once and must have someday!).

I've shown this rose before, but I did get it identified on the Rose Forum since the last post. It was determined to be shrub rose 'Sally Holmes' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/52531/ It is great! Absolutely care free and blooms nicely several times a year.

Jeremy

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I saw a Rangoon Creeper at the Ace Hardware on Atlantic today. Now I'm thinking I need one of these for my backyard! Darn, you people are way too enabling! lol

Darla

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus, nearly white>

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

As the weather gets warmer Glennia gets whiter>

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

this Coleus plant.. is it non flowering?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Cue,

Coleus do flower, but, the flowers are not significant so they are removed. Coleus is grown for the colorful leaves>

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

oooooooh, I like it. I want some now.. darn it

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Got you too didn't they! lol

Darla

Darla - not wishing to throw cold water on your plant addiction (which would probably only make it grow larger, anyway LOL), I think the Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis indica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31530/ would be marginally hardy in our north Florida climate. I read through the comments in Plant Files and a DGer in Texax 8b reports keeping it alive through winters, though it loses its leaves. That surprises me because I've always thought of it as being totally tropical. Another DGer from Florida Zone 9a mentioned they had it for 30 years but it was then killed by a hard freeze. But, it might be able to make it through a winter here if you provided some winter protection.

I had dinner with friends tonight and the group included Sugarweed (Sidney). She is the coleus queen, I think. She was anxious to get home because she was bidding on a bunch of coleus on eBay and wanted to be home to jump in at the last minute, if needed, to protect her bid. I had one coleus make it through the winter and reappear this spring. It must have a very strong will to live. It was one of several that Sidney shared with me last year. I think it is 'limelight' ??

Jeremy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am fond of the green/white coleus too, this is Marmount>

Sarasota, FL

First time flowering!

Thumbnail by Kalpavriksha

Very cool epi. I can't wait for my first one to bloom.

Great Epi, Kalpav! I wonder if wren107 (Sandy) has that one in her 200+ collection?! LOL

I think the coleus I referred to above as 'limelight' is actually 'Electric Lime' My memory was close, but not quite accurate. I just picked up five coleus from the Lowe's bargain table this afternoon, large plants in 1 gal pots in very good condition for $1.25. There were a couple of racks of them. I got one of each of the five cultivars that were available: 'Alabama', 'Orange King', 'Electric Lime', 'Henna', and 'Rustic Orange'

Jeremy

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My cactus is blooming. No idea what it is.

Thumbnail by starsplitter7
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My zucchini flowers. So pretty.

Does everyone have problems with the whiterning leaves? Is this a blight? Doesn't seem to affect the plant, and it doesn't seem to spread to other plants.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Cucumber flowers. This plant is about 3" in diameter. Tiny plant with big flowers.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Morning Glory from seed.

The zucchini and cucumber are from seed to. I am hoping they grow well. I need zuchinni and cucumber to feed my catfish. :) Be so nice to go to the garden rather than running to the store. I grow Collard greens for my bearded dragon.

I only grew squash once, so I can't provide much advice on the whitening leaves. It may just be over exposure to sunlight? I do know, though, that you need to protect the base of the squash plants to prevent the moths of the squash stem borers from laying eggs on the stems. The moths deposit their eggs on the stem just about where the stem emerges from the soil. The resulting caterpillar will eat through the stem and kill the entire vine (that happened to my squash in my only attempt to grow them). You can wrap the base of the stem in nylon panty hose (or similar stretchy material) or when the squash seedlings emerge from the ground, you can cut the bottom out of a small paper cup and place the open-ended cup over the squash seedling so that as the vine grows, the base of the vine will be protected from the moths by the paper cup.

Cosmos 'white sensation' below.

Jeremy

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks very much for the advice. I will see what I can do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.