Picture of the Day - Part 4

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hetty,

Coleus too>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Jeremy, I am so happy your "Miranda" is doing well. It is a beautiful, large, easy plant. 5 years. That's longer than I have kept any of my CPs. :)

I figure the coolers are at the front of the store, and they want to present the orchids so people see them. Unfortunately, a few days at those temps, and those orchids were a mess. But I got them for $3, and they have been thriving outside on my porch.

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Pretty Petrea or Queens wreath

Thumbnail by KatG

It's really starting to take off. Can't wait for it to start vining over the pergola...Copied Cathy and planted a Moonflower with it. They looked so pretty together.

Thumbnail by KatG

Another vine that bloomed - I still have this plant on Plant ID, but I'm pretty sure it's some type of ipomoea..

Thumbnail by KatG

Cat Whiskers have returned!

Thumbnail by KatG
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Beautiful, Kat.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My L/A lilies have put on a good show this spring/summer

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Plumeria 'Kasetsilp'

Thumbnail by
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's stunning, Hetty.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Hetty, I should have asked for Plumeria for Mother's Day. Here is my night blooming cactus flower.

Thumbnail by fauna4flora
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Kat - nice Petrea! My Petrea suffered some freeze damage for the first time this winter, but it is making a good recovery. I also got the white flowering variety last year that I kept protected in my 8 mil plastic enclosure and it is growing well. I'm hoping to see it bloom this year.

There is also a lavender moon vine (Ipomoea turbinata http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/69456/ ) which would look great with the Petrea and white moon vine. The flowers on the lavender moon vine are not as large as the white moon vine flowers, but still nice. I grew some white moon vine from seed and have a self-seeded moon vine popping up in my ginger patch. It may be the lavender variety because I had those in that area most recently, but have also grown the white ones there. I find their seeds are finicky about germinating only when they are ready, which may be months (or years?) after they hit the ground.

I took this photo to compare to Starsplitter's photo of her Japanese eggplant flower on May 1 (above). This is a weed in my yard. I think it is probably Solanum carolinense http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32043/ but I haven't had it positively identified. It is one of several nightshades that grow in my yard. It is amazing how many of the Solanum genus flowers are so similar. No wonder that people at one time (early 1950s in my own experience) thought that tomatoes were poisonous because the flowers were nightshade type flowers.

Jeremy

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

Kiwi Cordyline

Thumbnail by KatG

Chicken Gizzards (Iresine herbstii)

Thumbnail by KatG
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Love those both, Kat.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Love those both, Kat.Is the Chicken G. in full sun?

Pinewood milkweed Asclepias humistrata

Thumbnail by wren107

Orchid Crown of thorns

Thumbnail by KatG

It is Happy!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a little Crown of Thorns and it has one little bloom

Darla

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

Plumeria 'Lava Flow'

Thumbnail by

Hettie That is beautiful. I wish I had enough room to grow them. (Or room for another greenhouse.)

Sandy

Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Such pretty plumeria.
Took more pics today. It sure is getting hot.

roses over the greenhouse entrance.

Thumbnail by pestee42
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Hoollyhocks and bird bath.

Thumbnail by pestee42
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

squash harvest

Thumbnail by pestee42
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Old bicycle. It'll look better when the verbena fills in and there is a morning glory planted at the base that can't be seen yet.

Thumbnail by pestee42
Molino, FL(Zone 8b)

Ewww, gotta do something about those orange zip ties. LOL.

LOL I like the bike as a feature. Just snip the ends off the zip ties and you won't notice them anymore in time.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is my Rose Cactus. (Trellis compliments of the neighbor's garbage...Have three)

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Close-up of the wonderful colors.

Thumbnail by Happy_1

KatG - your Iresine photo reminded me that I had some, but the freeze took them out, along with some of my other colorful foliage plants like the Acalypha plants (Joseph's Coat). I would shed tears but instead I'll just go on a quest to replace them.

Very nice white milkweed, Sandy. Is it growing in your garden or did you get the photo from a wildflower walk?

Great Rose Cactus, Hap! I have what was discovered by the DG I.D. Forum to be Pereskia aculeata 'godseffiana' http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/PERESCIA_VARIEGATA.htm It had some freeze damage even though covered by my 8 mil plastic temporary winter cover, but is leafing out again nicely. It is my favorite in my cacti/succulent garden.

Here is Hardy White Gloxinina, Sinningia tubiflora, very elegant flowers about 4 inches long on thin stems about 24 inches high, and a light aroma from the flowers.

Jeremy

The heavy rain about a week ago inspired the rain lilies to flower. I hope the yellow rain lilies that Sandy gave me will bloom, but I haven't seen them yet.

Jeremy

We had 8 drops of rain last night! Hopefully later today...

My vines sure seem to be taking well to my potting pergola poles (say that 10X fast! hehe). It still hasn't been totally determined as to what this lovely plant is but it seems to be coming down to Ipomoea Mauritiana. Whatever it is, it's really pretty!

Thumbnail by KatG

First Rangoon Creeper bloom :)

Thumbnail by KatG

Buddleia alternifolia - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2687/ a pass-along plant from margaran in Jax. This species seems much better suited to our heat/humidity and winter temperatures than does the standard B. davidii, which I find to be fairly finicky for water requirements and difficult to maintain as a good sized shrub.

Jeremy

Very nice Jeremy! And Happy, that combo of rose cactus and coleus are beautiful together!

A couple of Gulf Frittilary wannabes nibbling on my Passiflora 'incense' . They could feast for years and there would still be more 'incense' on which to dine. It is the MOST invasive vine I've ever planted, but it does provide a host plant for Gulf Frittilary and Zebra Longwing butterflies and when it is blooming profusely, the entire garden is scented with an aroma that smells similar to warm honey.

Jeremy

Kat - your UFO (Unidentified Flowering Object) vine looks somewhat similar to my Ipomoea cairica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/153769/ but the leaves are not the same. Looking at the I. cairica photos in Plant Files, I think some of them are misidentified and may be your UFO instead (compare the leaves in the photos and you will see some of the leaves more closely resemble your UFO than they do the I. cairica). I. cairica is also another horribly invasive vine. It spreads by stems up to about 50 ft long that don't bother to root as they speed across the ground. The vine stems are about 1/16 - 1/8 inch or more in diameter and have the tensile strength of a strong cord. The vines really could be used to twist together and make a strong rope. I made the mistake of planting a few seeds from an I. cairica vine I admired growing by a bridge near my house several years ago. The single plant that sprouted now covers about 1/4 of my half-acre yard (but the big purple saucers are beautiful).

Here is the white-flowering form of Cypress Vine (Ipomoea quamoclit http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/155314/ I grew these from store-bought packaged seed. The white-flowering seed germinated much better than a package of mixed color Cypress Vine I also planted.

Jeremy

Another daylily. I wish I could keep plant name tags with the plants and find some method to keep the writing on the tags from fading. I am on the verge of doing my own aluminum sheet tags with embossed writing (done with a fountain pen), but I have to find a moment to send an order to the metal company that will ship any tiny order of any of their products and don't even charge shipping (a great site for anyone wanting to do metal sculpture, welding, etc.)

Jeremy

Anyone in the mood for fried green tomatoes? LOL I love them, but have not yet been able to fry them to my satisfaction.

Jeremy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.