Florida Gardening: Picture of the Day - Part 4, 1 by JaxFlaGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JaxFlaGardener

In reply to: Picture of the Day - Part 4

Forum: Florida Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Picture of the Day - Part 4
JaxFlaGardener wrote:
Darla - not wishing to throw cold water on your plant addiction (which would probably only make it grow larger, anyway LOL), I think the Rangoon Creeper (Quisqualis indica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31530/ would be marginally hardy in our north Florida climate. I read through the comments in Plant Files and a DGer in Texax 8b reports keeping it alive through winters, though it loses its leaves. That surprises me because I've always thought of it as being totally tropical. Another DGer from Florida Zone 9a mentioned they had it for 30 years but it was then killed by a hard freeze. But, it might be able to make it through a winter here if you provided some winter protection.

I had dinner with friends tonight and the group included Sugarweed (Sidney). She is the coleus queen, I think. She was anxious to get home because she was bidding on a bunch of coleus on eBay and wanted to be home to jump in at the last minute, if needed, to protect her bid. I had one coleus make it through the winter and reappear this spring. It must have a very strong will to live. It was one of several that Sidney shared with me last year. I think it is 'limelight' ??

Jeremy