What's Blooming in your garden? #2 share your photo

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, and also a minimum number of growers. At Albuquerque's last show they had lots of flowers, but were worried about getting enough flowers. Sure enough, though, they did. It was a nice show.

South Hamilton, MA

Back to green bottles, oh ugh! We have the same PCV containers at our club. Much better for transportation by the show committee, storage as well. They were built by a member. ISM is having an exhibition rather than AIS show this yr. Club getting smaller because of ages of members (including us) & still can get the plants out before the public. When you do all the work, you like to win, but presentation of plants top priority in my book.

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Hmmm, last year I had bloom stalks almost the size of broom handles don't think they fit. LOL

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Thanks everyone, that's really interesting information. I don't think we will ever show our Iris, or are the shows just for new crosses? Since we live 40 miles from the nearest town, I don't think the poor things would make it to any shows in Arizona. ^_^

South Hamilton, MA

They are made in different sizes. No fit? talk to the show committee & see how they can help.

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Los Coyotes

Thumbnail by cathysplants
Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lady Friend

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

One of my seedlings, 1st bloom - Splunk043009

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mil Byers

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Margie's 2008 - Birthday Cheer

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Breath of Dawn

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Seedling P2D

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Circle Five

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's Red

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I entered the show to fill in. I just don't have as much experience with preparing iris for shows or as many varieties in bloom as many of my fellow club members. I wasn't even going to enter until they told me I shouldn't be concerned about my flowers not being nice enough, that shows were to show off the flowers to the public. So i entered what I had. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I got 2 white ribbons and 1 red. Much better than I expected.
Oh, and the show is 40 miles away from here. Getting them transported properly gave me fits. It may be easier for me this year.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

More questions: Do you put anything in the water to keep the flowers fresh? What do the Judges allow? I wonder if there has ever been any Iris Shows in Northern Arizona?

Cherryvale, KS

Jurassic Park I'm lucky, my husband does the grooming. LOL We take paint brushes, scissors, and paper towels. You need to pick plants that are straight, and have a candleabra shape. Usually you leave the stems as long as possible. One year had 1st runner up Amarillo Frills, actually lost because stem was to long!LOL We try to pick the day before, sometimes push flowers away from stem with spacers. This also help really dark iris from spotting. Tulsa is about 90 miles from here, so load em up and have fun!!.

Thumbnail by NickysIris
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

dd95172-

wow...that is definitely the truest BLACK iris, I've ever seen...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hello Darkness, is truly one of the blackest blacks.
I love your Jurassic Park! I have one that I put in 2 years ago. It looks like it might bloom this year!

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Double Scoop

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Another noid that bloomed today.

Thumbnail by bamagirl35973
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cool iris, bamagirl!

Lebanon, OR

Oddity on Cup of Joy, kinda cool..

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

irisloverdee, I love Cup of Joy! What a novelty - looks like it has 6 falls. When you have extras on this one, I would love to work out an iris trade with you.

Dee-
Whoa! that is fantastic! I've never seen one with seven? falls...is it your first bloom in this one, or just first time it bloomed with this shape?

gorgeous!

ps- I just googled, and could not find even a mention of this one...is it new and not released, yet? It it your seedling?

Also, looks like maybe an sdb, but with a large flower?

This message was edited May 1, 2009 6:52 AM

South Hamilton, MA

Cup of Joy plants cold damage? I hope it doesn't keep that up. Stockholm from the 70s has extra falls right now. Old enough to know better!

Lebanon, OR

All, it is I am sure just the weather believe it was a 2005 by Niswonger, should have 3 and 3.

Just really I have never had one with 7 before, 4 and 5 but never like this one. Only have the one plant and looks like it will be the only bloom as well.

Keeping an eye on it for next year with notes.

D

I think the 7 falls is fantastic. If it were me, I'd be TRYING to breed that "fault" into other iris, lol...
-T

Lebanon, OR

Many people like the novelty iris, I like the 3;3;3 but I have to admit it is really different

D

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Dee, that is really cool!!!!!

RARE PENNY

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ruby Wings SDB

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Aurora Sea has taken a few years to bloom the first time.

This message was edited May 1, 2009 11:19 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Fire Storm SDB

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Little Annie SDB

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ruby Eruption

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)