i got it from Paul Black last year as a extra

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

About Town and Decadence

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Lyle ;
wonderful photo ! Wow !

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I usually just lurk in this forum - but even after the flooding we've had the last few days - my Afternoon Delight looked pretty good.

Thumbnail by diamndsnjns
Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I just got back from dropping the kids off at the bus and this beauty finally opened today!! I do not know her name, but she has a wonderful sweet grape scent. So I am guessing she is an older variety. Soon 3 more blooms on the same stalk will open - what a show. : ) A great way to start your morning!!

Thumbnail by emeraldsgarden

diamndsnjns
How much rain did you guys get over there? I know we did not get close to your amount (anywhere from 2-3"), but we had a lot of flooding b/c it came so fast, wind, and hail damage. I hope you are all right!
Dana

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful photos everyone! Love that combo, Lyle!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Its poring rain all day here In Tulsa area.We need it bad
but i cant get out to see if any thing new is blooming

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Lyle- That is such a lovely picture. I bet your garden is just beautiful :-))

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

DEVIL'S NIGHT

Thumbnail by 1913cat

SPLAT

Thumbnail by 1913cat

CHOCOLATE SWIRL

Thumbnail by 1913cat

I am going to have an explosion of color here before long, it is going to be an excellent bloom season

SHE DEVIL

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My very first bearded iris this season. Flirty Eyes, MDB.

Thumbnail by boojum
Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

Dana - I believe the news said we got 3" in 1 hour - and it didn't stop there - we didn't have the hail, but we had some rough winds and an unbelievable amount of rain. I thought I was going to see Noah's Ark drifting by at any point....LOL

Connie

Connie,

I understand the feeling! We have to plan ahead b/c if we get that much rain - we are stuck! The road is crossed by a creek and it does not take much and poof - no way out! I hope you guys dry out some and you do not see Noah drifting by!!

Dana ; )

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Fleabitten Butterscotch

Thumbnail by cathysplants
Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Joyful Skies - This one is awesome!

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Different Flavors

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Megglethorp

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Unbelievable Love

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Broadband

Readyville, TN(Zone 7a)

Point In Time

Cherryvale, KS

Holidaze Happy Thursday BIF's!! We had torrential rain yesterday about 2.5 inches! Beat the heck out of every bloom. There are new blooms out today. Went to breakfast, came in the house to grab my camera, started out and it is raining!!YUCK! No worries Tazzy, I probably don't have any place to plant it anyway!!LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

coalignition, first year bloom .

Thumbnail by iris28

old purple , it smells like grape soda . so is this sweet iris .

Thumbnail by iris28

melanie trying to block my neighbors empty yard

Thumbnail by iris28
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

The grape soda one is some kind of Pllida iris. BEV

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Nicky, I've never been to an Iris Show, Orchids yes, but not Iris. How in the world do you prepare a stock of iris for travel? They are so fragile compared to orchids. Congratulations on the Blue Ribbon, what a wonderful accomplishment!

I'm so jealous, our iris won't be blooming for at least a month. Some of the leaves did get a frost nip here and there in the iris beds. We can expect at least one more night of frost before the 15!

Edith Wolford from years gone by....

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
South Hamilton, MA

pack the plants carefully--we carry them in wet sand, but only have to drive 45 min.

I carry in beer bottles with some water or soda cans packed tight in a box. I only travel 7 minutes.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

One of our members here has made a contraption for carrying iris out of narrow PVC pipe -- 1 inch I would guess. It is made into a square with verticle pieces of pvc sticking up from the base. Hard to describe, but stands up firmly and one stalk goes in each pvc vertical. He has made them for other members as well.

I take a bucket and use 1 inch electrical tape to make a grid with square holes in it across the top. I stick one stalk in each hole. That works reasonably well -- but I am new to showing iris. Really didn't want to until I found out it was my duty as an AIS member to show iris so the public could see them. So, I did it. I did get some ribbons, too, but no blue ones or best of anythings.

Cherryvale, KS

Irish Chant We use milk crates or crates sold in office area of walmart. We fill with 1/2 gal milk jugs or 2 litre pop bottles. One flower to a container and pray!!LOL My husband even puts paper napkins around stem so they don't get damaged. We belong to a small club & I usually take 20-30. We usually get about 50-60% blues. I have won the bronze medal for the past 3 years. I really did feel like we got beat up by the big boys!!!LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris

We use the PVC pipes with square bases for the show.

Thumbnail by boojum
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely, Irish Chant. I have that one, but it hasn't bloomed yet. Just got it last year. When you say you got beat up by the big boys -- who are you referring to? Larger clubs? Tall Beardeds? Professionals?
Our club is not huge and our shows are not enormous, but I find I learn plenty at the shows. I attend both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Last year I only entered about 6 stems. That was all I had in bloom that looked even halfway decent due to the fact that they were new plants and to the fact that we had a late freeze. The person who almost always wins Queen of Show, didn't have a single flower ot enter -- making it possible for some of the others to win the big prizes for once. Of course the usual winner was very sad -- they just had a big frost right before the sale.
I have a lot more iris this year, but what I will have for the show remains to be seen. The gophers and rabbits are consuming them at a mighty rate. Maybe will have to enter a rabbit and varmint show!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We used to use those at the show but have gone back to green pop bottles due to some judges concern about wanting to be able to see the stem.
The carrier I described was like those vertical PVC containers, but many containers were linked together along the bottom with pvc connectors -- several rows of them, to make a square -- or rather a cube for carrying flowers.

Cherryvale, KS

Precious Joy I meant there isn't nearly as much competition at our local show. Tulsa is a giant town in comparison!!LOL They had a hard time getting me to pick my iris in the beginning. Hated to take them out of the garden! The reason we take so many, there is a min# of cultivars to make a show.

Thumbnail by NickysIris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.