Flowerpot Cafe 21

Christchurch, New Zealand

It was Mother's Day here too...
it is odd that we have the same day as the US, normally NZ is the same as Britain for things.
We are still a Commonwealth nation after all.
I have to wait until Tuesday to see my Mum, talked for ages on the phone tonight though.
We share a love of gardening & swap plants a lot :)

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sounds like everyone had a marvelous Mom's day. Tasha and Abygail were here and talked to Tim on the phone, very nice weekend. Thanks for the sunshine Terri, it got here just in time.
Dianne Can't wait to see the pics, glad you children got to see your routines, must be so proud. When might I expect you on that dancin with the stars???

london England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the Flowerpot Cafe' dalfyre, nice to see you in here.
Hope you have a lovely visit with your Mum on Tuesday. My Mum is 250 miles away in Liverpool, so we have to make do with phone calls!
We aim to have fresh flowers for our cafe' tables everyday, now that our gardens have come back to life!

Dianne, Well done!!!! I knew you would pull it off and have a great dance. I can't wait to see the pics, you always look so glam in your pretty dresses.

Candee, Sounds like you had a nice Mother's day with the family!
Hope your arm is healing nicely? and not bothering you too much. Good to have you back, it felt like you were gone a long time.

I've got a stinking cold, so won't stay too long, don't want to sneeze on y'all LOL!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Stitches come out this Friday just before heading to the cabin, it is doing fine, thanks for askin. HAven't been around as we got 3 days of sunshine and I don't think we spent 2 minutes in the house. Have a little somethin for one of the tables when I get home today.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Terri, sorry to read that you have a cold. Bob was generous enough to share his with me so we are both miserable now too.

We had decent weather over the weekend so I managed to get the grass mowed but with this darn cold I just couldn't get up enough energy to do anything else.

Candee, Im glad you are healing well. Have fun at the cabin.

dalfyre, that is odd that your holiday matches ours instead of Britain's. But then, I think everyday should be Mother's day and we should be pampered and spoiled year round!

I am going to finish my nice cup of tea and lay back down for a while. This Nyquil wipes me out.

Hi Zany,
Sorry you have a cold too! I've been in bed for 2 days with it, I've got no energy at all. Annie had it first then Katie then Keith and I thought I was getting away with it..... no such luck.
At least you got the mowing done while you had some decent weather. Hope you feel better soon.

Looking forward to what you will put on the table today Candee! See!! it worked, the sunshine I ordered for you lasted for 3 days LOL!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sorry you are under the weather again Zany, we need to zap you some zip so you recoup and build up some resistance.
Thanks for the reminder Terri, got just the little thing for the table in the corner, now don't get excited it is just a little somethin! Still not able to put much together with the weather and plants flowering delayed.

I like little somethin' already, been wondering what we could put on that corner table...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well here it is, first rhod of the season, that fringy tulip and dwarf plum. Feel free to bring it inside as it is storming here now.

Thumbnail by haighr

It's OK everyone......... I will bring it in LOL!!!

Yummmm pretty! Looks like we have Raspberry shakes with chocolate logs on the menu today!!!
I don't remember that there vase, it is Very nice.
Thanks for the flowers Candee, love the rhodo!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Teri, how ya doing? I think I am getting better again. Less coughing and sneezing, fever gone and can breathe out of one nostril again. . . Breathing out of one side of the head makes me a bit more off balance then usual...

Candee, the flowers are lovely. I just adore the fringy tulips but I had to give up on them here. I was ruining too many pairs of scissors trying to get the fringe effect.

My Nyquil is kicking in and I am getting loopier and loopier so I'll say good night ladies.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Make it some double zapping on the zip, my zip got up and left and yesterday I think she got my cold. Dang and I just got over one. What a mess here so will yak later. If you dont hear from me in a few days send out the hounds!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well you two better stop exchanging bugs in cyber space!!! Now both of you get some rest. I remember back when you were scissoring those tulips Zany! You were doing a fine job, what happened, did you just run out of pinking shears.
I am gonna wave a magic wand over head and zap the zip back into both of you!

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

haighr, um, isnt that "panking" shears LOL!! Snickering in a raspy wheez!!

Well, I am not totally down.. been worse.

Got something here to make terri totally jealous! Its a BLUE hydrangea. Or at least it better be, as that was what I hope I bought and according to the label but not showing any flowers yet!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Hi everyone!
Zany, Thanks for asking! I'm still feeling snotty and grotty, but dragged myself into work. How are you today?
Funny, with the tulips, you were getting to be quite the fringe cutter! LoL!

Thanks for the magic wand Candee, I need zappin' too!!!

Blossom Blossom, my dear! I'm Very Happy for you with your new BLUE Hydrangea!
Me jealous? not really, well maybe a little bit! ..... What is the name of it????? lol.
Hope you feel better soon mate.

Well, I'm gonna get a cup of coffee and a doughnut, who made them? delicious!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

BLOSSOMBUDDY, to insure that you get the best blue blossoms possible...

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/colorchange.html

Quoting:
To obtain a blue hydrangea, aluminum must be present in the soil. To ensure that aluminum is present, aluminum sulfate may be added to the soil around the hydrangeas.

Authorities recommend that a solution of 1/2 oz (1 Tbsp) aluminum sulfate per gallon of water be applied to plants (which are at least 2-3 years old) throughout the growing season. Important: Water plants well in advance of application and put solution on cautiously, as too much can burn the roots.

To make the aluminum available to the plant, the pH of the soil should be low (5.2-5.5). Adding aluminum sulfate will tend to lower the pH of the soil. Another method for lowering the pH is to add organic matter to the soil such as coffee grounds, fruit and vegetable peels, grass clippings etc.

If the soil naturally contains aluminum and is acid (low pH) the color of the hydrangea will automatically tend toward shades of blue and/or purple.

The choice of fertilzer will also affect the color change. A fertilizer low in phosphorus and high in potassium is helpful in producing a good blue color(25/5/30 is good. Potassium is the last number). Superphosphates and bone meal should be avoided when trying to produce blue.

After stating this with much certainty, I hasten to add that it is virtually impossible to turn a hydrangea blue for any length of time if it is planted in soil with no aluminum and that is highly alkaline (chalky). One would have to be very diligent in keeping the soil properly conditioned as stated above.

Perhaps the best idea for growing blue hydrangeas in an area with alkaline soil would be to grow them in very large pots using lots of compost to bring the pH down. The above suggestions for bluing would also work for a potted plant. Reduce the strength of the Aluminum sulfate to 1/4 oz per gallon of water. In a pot, it will be much easier to control the requirements for bluing.

One last suggestions for those who are serious about this process. It is important to have your water tested so that it will not "contaminate" the soil that you have so rigorously balanced. The pH of the water should not be higher than 5.6.

Planting hydrangeas near a concrete foundation or sidewalk will often affect the color since the pH of the soil may be raised considerably by lime leaching out of these structures, making it difficult to obtain blue.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Doughnuts? Coffee? That sounds devine. I was about to have a bowl of cold cereal but I think I'll join you instead.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh boy, glad I made it in time for doughnuts I love them. Now there blossom, I think Zany is on to something, I have always heard that it is the soil that brings the different colors to them, not the variety., but it is in a blue pot!!!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

That site is really good for information. He also tells how to make them pink/red, how to best dry them and how to dye them with fabric dyes. Plus info on all the different types that are sold.

I just love the internet with all the information that is available 24-7 without having to drive into the library and remember to return books that I can't afford to buy and don't want to give back.

LoL .. but it is in a BLUE pot!!!!!
I don't know who made these doughnuts, but they sure are fresh and yummy...... may I tempt you to another ladies?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Yummy, I would love one of those maple glazed. They have always been a favorite of mine and fresh like these is just too much to pass up.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Maple glazed? Where? Did you get the only one? Are there more? Where did it go, did you eat it already??? lol

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

One can never have enough donuts!!! Love the arrangement, Candee.

Now all of you who are under the weather - have some chrysanthemum tea. Guaranteed to work magic. Zany, Blossom, Terri and any one else who is ailing - you all get well real soon now.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dianne. Now that looks like just what the doctor ordered for these sickos!

LOL!!!!! coughin' and spluttin'

Hi Dianne, so you could smell the doughnuts or is it donuts? nearly lunchtime for you then?, better not have too many!
I'm saving the rest for elle and Blossom, they work really hard on the farm.
Your sunny Chrysanths have certainly cheered me up, Thank you! I'll stick to coffee, seeing as I hate tea LoL!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

An Englishman (or woman rather) who does not like tea???? What do you do during teatime????

Yes, it is almost lunchtime, but fresh donuts are always welcomed.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Chrysanthemum tea, how perfect! Thank you.

Candee, there are plenty on the rack by the counter. MMM MMM GOOD!

Thumbnail by Zanymuse

I drink coffee! during teatime. Did you take any flowers to work today?

Ohhhhh I've never seen so many different donuts!!! This is donut heaven!!! Thanks Zany.
Where's the ordinary ones we get with the jam inside?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The rasberry filled are a jelly and there are several other jelly filled a bit further down the counter to the right. Help yourself. The baker is a good friend of mine and he keeps his cases fresh by refilling them fresh every 2 hours. Anything older is donated to the local shelters at the end of each day. Needless to say, because they are always sold fresh he doesn't have a lot to give away.

Thanks Zany, fresh every 2 hrs? your baker friend sells alot then, thats always a good sign of quality.
Only the best for the Flowerpot eh? Great!

Well, I'd better get to bed, otherwise someone will ask me why I'm still up!!! G'night all.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

LOL, go get some rest all!!!

Hi everyone!
Whats happening? whats the gossip, the word on the street?
I'm feeling better, hope you are too Zany and Blossom and any other sicko!!!

Heck, look at all the washing up here! who left all these dirty dishes in the sink?
Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Terri. I am still a bit congested but better.

No more fever
no more chills
no more sneezes
sharp and shrill

No more coughing
to rack my body
no more syrupy
Nyquil toddy

Time to rise,
time to shine,
the sun is out
the day is mine!

Pyxle is jumping about and trying to herd me to the door in my night clothes so I guess I had better get into the shower and get moving so she can have a nice run at the park before I head off to work.

Have a great day!

Hi Zany, what a lovely poem!.
You got out of bed the right side today!!! Good to hear you are feeling better and the sun is shining your way..
Have a great day yourself!

It's quiet in here today, I'll go outside and have a chat with the parrots.!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Hope the parrots kept you company this afternoon Terri. Zany, you do have a way with the words, glad you are feeling so chipper.
Nice day while at work today naturally but now calling for nasty storms and rain for the next few days again.
Thought about goin gto the cabin but not in the rain, just no point cause can't even cut the grass. Guess we shall decide on Friday after I get the stitches out. Sometimes, as you know, the weather is completely different over the mts.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So where is plantgeek? Who ran him off this time? Was it me? Or did Ms. Woodsy complain about the dishwashing? I'll go see if I can fetch him.

Hi everyone! It's raining boooooooo!

Hiya Candee, well! the funny thing is, those parrots talked for hours and hours, I just couldn't get a word in.
Then one of them escaped and I had a heck of a job getting her back in. Phew..... I'm Not doing that again....LoL!

Good the stitches are coming out tomorrow, hope it's all healed well.
If you don't get to the cabin this time, I'm sure there's plenty of jobs that need doing around here!..
Plantgeek has better fish to fry these days!!! getting books published and being a famous writer, our Plantgeek is Waaaaaaay to busy no doubt..... Good Luck Plantgeek!!! but please remember your old friends once in a while LOL!!!

Humansville, MO

hi all
here is a picture of my flower
we are wet
but next week it suppoes to be sun
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO

hi
here another one

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Humansville, MO