April in Like a Lion Too!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Another T-Storm is moving thru..... pouring out there!

Here's the Royal Heritage Hellebores after a less the promising start this year.
HERE's why they call them Lenten Roses.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Here's travertine in its natural state. Yours is a lot pretter than most, IMO.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Gee, I looked that up on Google maps. That's a long trip!

Snow all disappeared today. Temp is going down.
Not much green here yet. Seen a couple little purple flowers sticking up. Must be Grape Hyacinth. I threw in a whole bunch of stuff in that bed in fall of 2006. It was new then. It was supposed to be an Iris bed. It has everything in it now. Last fall I made a new Iris bed, so far only Iris & a couple mums.
I have hundreds of Dahlia tubers from last fall. I think they made it through storage, so need to find a place for them. Should produce lots of cuts.
I have 3 people coming for interviews this week for part time garden help. 2 guys & 1 gal. Both guys have worked in cabinet shops! Is that a shock. I didn't mention anything about cabinets when I ran the ad.
I am hoping to get some good help in my gardens so we can spend more time in the shop.
The gal only lives about 2 miles down the road. Didn't know her, she just answered the ad & was surprised when we were neighbors. They only moved in a year ago or so.

Tomorrow morning we are off to get the auction goodies.

Bernie

(Zone 7a)

Darrell and I cut out the grass for the foundation for the new greenhouse today. It was warm but not hot, 55º or so. Then, we looked at cars! I get a new car next year, so, we're checking out what's out there I like.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Celia – Download those pictures! LOL!
Ric – The kitchen is going to be nice when you are finished!
Kelli – I hope you are feeling better. Nice pics! What is that big pink tree? It’s beautiful!
FF – You’ve been busy! Check the laws on the trees you are planning on taking out. Here if the trunk is 6” or larger – they stay – unless you get approval from the local government.
Ric – The hellebores are making a nice comeback!
Celia – 55* is perfect for digging! Doing the new car happy dance for you!

72.5 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 65 °F
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the WSW
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph
Pressure: 29.74 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 73 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2000 ft
Overcast 5000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Breezy. Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then partly cloudy in the afternoon. High 72. West winds increasing to 15 to 20 mph with gusts to to near 30 mph.

Our low tonight is 38*! That has to be some kind of record for April here. Brrrr LOL! I found the new DR chandelier at Lowes yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here is a full DR pic

Thumbnail by MySharona

This is the opposite wall - no clue what I'm going to do there - yet :) On the othere side is the foyer. If it were my house I would take that wall out and make the whole area open.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kitchen with the mirror finally up

Thumbnail by MySharona

We noticed a Carolina Wren family building a nest behind the 'Welcome to the Beach House" plaque I bought a couple of years ago. Very cute, but I'm not sure they are planning on staying. We don't use the front door often - only for guests.

You can see the wren standing on the plaque.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Sharon: Your new home is really beautiful. Looks like everything is coming together. Someone else has found a home with you (Carolina Wren) They are so cute and when I hang out clothes, they go in the pockets, sleeves and everywhere. One tried to build in our garage on a shelf last year.

Thanks for the tip on the trees. I have a large water oak that needs to come down. I will check that out. Most trees on the lot are scrubby pines and undergrowth. The builder says the water oaks will die if you come within ten feet of them when you are putting in fill dirt.

Kelli: I must have missed where you were feeling under the weather. I sure hope you are feeling much better now. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful. You have so many pretty places out there.

Bernie: You are so busy!! I get tired reading what all you have done LOL Sure hope you find just the right help that need. Sounds like you have some good prospects.

Scattered T-shorms/wind
High 70*
Low 43*
Currently 64*
Barometer 29.51 in. & rising
Humidity 81%
Visibility 10 Mi
Dewpoint 58*
Wind SW @ 15 to 25 mph
Chance of rain 80%

Another very full day on the agenda....will check back with y'all later.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sharon: the house is looking great--your decorating efforts are certainly paying off. Love the new chandelier! Great bird pics, too.
Celia: how nice that you are getting a new greenhouse!
Kelli: sure hope you feel better soon! The Arboretum photos are beautiful!
Ric, the travertine is lovely. You and Robyn have certainly been busy--things are looking great at your place, too!
Bernie: glad you survived the "blizzard" LOL. Isn't it nice to have work lined up for several months ahead?
Dyson, did you finish painting the floor? Realizing you don't have to go to work is like getting a bonus vacation! LOL
FF: sounds like your move is progressing nicely--you must surely be one organized lady!
Kiska: hope things are going okay up your way--what is the volcano doing today?

Things are much colder here in Harrison, AR today. Our high is forecast to be 43 with a low down in the 20's tonight--BRRRR. This yo-yo weather we have had the last couple of months is crazy! I hope it doesn't get as cold down in Cabot where I live because I went off and left several potted plants on the patio--they will surely freeze if it gets this cold down there tonight. All the redbuds and dogwoods are in bloom up here, too, so I hope they don't get frostbite.
It was really windy yesterday and more in store for today and tonight which makes it "feel like" it is considerably colder than the actual temp.

Today for Harrison, AR
Partly Cloudy / Wind
High 43°F
Precip 20%
Wind: NW 21 mph
Max. Humidity: 46%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 6:51 AM CT
Avg. High: 66°F
Record High: 89°F (1967)
Tonight: Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 27°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NW 16 mph
Max. Humidity: 50%
Sunset: 7:39 PM CT
Avg. Low: 45°F
Record Low: 25°F (1982)

This is the dogwood across the road from my house in Cabot.

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Kelli it's nice to see the blooming shots there at the arboretum.
Travertine is ugly stuff in the wild!

Sharon that's a pretty tres elegante looking space.
You're going to have to put an outdoor shower in so you don't dirty the place up after gardening! lol!

46°F when I got up at 6 AM...... 37°F at noon.
Should be right at freezing by tomorrow morning.
Maybe snow in Dayton!

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Kelli, are you feeling better? You said you might still have whatever bug it was. Hope you don't relapse.

Bernie, nice to know you have work for a long time.

Ric, your floor looks awesome! Robyn is doing wonderful work.

Mau, I hate this weather, too. It just needs to be Spring and leave Winter behind for now. We've had this GH in the garage for 3 years. I got tired of waiting and just started digging! LOL Darrell came over to see what I was doing and then pitched in. LOL Now we need to get the foundation set so we can put it up. It's only 6' x 6', so it will go fairly quickly.

Sharon, you can help me decorate anytime! LOL I love your new house. Those extra touches make it beautiful. Lucky you!

58.8 °F Heading for mid to high 60s today. Not a cloud in sight and a very slight breeze.
Clear
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 8.5 mphfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 10.5 mph
Pressure: 30.37 in (Falling)
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Here ya go, Sharon! Finch on the feeder. Kinda fuzzy but still cute.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Darkining and getting cooler (hope the paint on the porch "sets" properly) suppose to get snow tomorrow Bernie it is the south end of your storm coming through.

Everyone please stay warm, dry & safe. Please.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is unusually cool here, too, but we're not going to get down to freezing. Good thing, too! I just planted a zillion or so pepper seedlings! You all stay warm!! Spring really IS on its way!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (62 min ago)
Temperature 63 °F 17 °C
Dew Point 26 °F -3 °C
Humidity 24%
Pressure 30.27 in 1025.2 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH
G 24 13 kts
G 21
Wind Dir NW 320°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
- - - Temp | 24 Max | 24 Min | Dew Point | Pressure | Feels Like
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 28 kts from 340 (21:34 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 48.9°F / 9.4°C

Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts to 25 mph in the evening.

FF, Mau, Ric, Celia – Thanks! I just love this house. It has so much potential.
Mau – That’s a beautiful dogwood!
Ric – There is an outdoor shower on the “other” side of the house! I don’t know if it works though.
Celia – That’s a lot of digging. The GH is going to look great when you get it set up. The pic isn’t fuzzy – the finch is shivering LOL!
Dyson – You stay warm and safe too!

66.6 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 30 °F
Wind: 5.4 mphfrom the WNW
Wind Gust: 11.6 mph
Pressure: 29.71 in(Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM EDT this evening...
Freeze watch in effect from late Tuesday night through Wednesday morning...

Tonight
Partly cloudy and windy this evening. Much colder. Low 41. West winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph this evening. Winds decreasing to 10 to 15 mph late.

So WX raised our low by 3* - that makes all the difference LOL! Guess I'll bring the orchids in before sunset.

I was telling a friend of mine that I don't have that "vision" that interior decorators have. You know the one - when they look at a room and say "You need this here or that there and in this color, in a stripe... blah blah blah". I buy what I like then add to those items one piece at a time. I like the look I get which is eclectic/comtemporary/antique and whimsical LOL! I love a touch of whimsy in the most unusual spot.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We're under a freeze warning here.
It's still 41° (Wind Chill 33°) so we may well not see it.
Dayton will for sure.
It's 37° (Wind Chill 30°)
From the radar it appears to be snowing in Columbus (about 70 miles north north east)

I saw a few flakes today but we mostly had a cold drizzle.
The Reds did get the opening day game in.... lost 2-1.

Most of the stone is grouted.... w/ this grout the haze buffing takes place 48-72 hours later.
So it looks a bit strange now.
Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Traveled to Minneapolis today to pick up winnings from the online auction.
Kids picked up a bunch of lumber for their house addition. Paid ¼ of retail price.
This is what we brought home. Enough floor trusses for the whole addition.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This was like a bonus. We think SIL can sell them for $100 each. One is 10" x 20" x 15 ft.
The other is 10" x 20" x 20 ft. They are Cedar.

Anyone need a couple landscape timbers ? LOL!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Below freezing, was a mostly sunny day but windy. Some flakes kinda floated around this afternoon but there were so few of them that I first I thought I was imagining them. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bernie that's QUITE a haul!
Those Cedar logs (lol!) would make some nice outdoor benches... about 10 of them!

Ric

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

29° with lake effect snow falling and expected to continue until sometime Wednesday with totals of a foot or more in some areas. After a nearly snowless March this is a real bummer. Sunshine and warmer temps expected for the weekend though.

Bernie........You did well! Auctions are great unless there are people there bidding more then retail.

Kelli..........Love the blooming tree. I have a crab apple here that will look like that....................someday. :{ The daffodils are blooming here now and the heavy wet snow will smush them flatter then a pancake.

Ric..............You've been a busy guy the past few weeks.

Photo: Beginning of the lake effect snow on the way home this afternoon.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Whooo it’s chilly here this morning!

Bernie – That’s a nice haul you got. Cedar is niiiice!
E_B – It looks very cold in that picture. Brrr

47.3 °F
Overcast
Windchill: 46 °F
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 22 °F
Wind: 5.9 mphfrom the West
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Overcast 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 8 am this morning to 7 PM EDT this evening...
Freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Wednesday morning...

Today
Partly cloudy. Windy...cooler. High 59. West winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

I have a question for Bernie and Ric. We're setting up our GH this week and would like recommendations for flooring. It has a square metal frame. We've leveled the ground and will put down weed cloth and sand. Now what? Gravel? Wood? Also, it has ground anchors but I'm not sure if that's enough to hold it down.

Sharon, he looks surprised! LOL

I would love to have cedar in the yard. It smells wonderful.

40.8 °F and heading for 69º today. Mostly sunny is forecast.
Clear
Windchill: 37 °F
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: 5.8 mphfrom the SE
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph
Pressure: 30.16 in (Rising)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

It looks like the Easter Bunny made his way here early.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I've used chipped wood & crushed rock. Wood chips come from a crew that goes & trims trees along power lines. Best part, they are free!
If the weed blocker is thick enough, you can just walk on it. Use some big wire staples to hold it in place. Some weed blocker comes with staples or make them from # 9 wire.

Sunshine & I hope warmer today. We will be working on a greenhouse also. I need that baby up!

Bernie

(Zone 7a)

Our prevading wind comes from the west and the door will be facing south. Will the anchors be enough to hold the GH? I need mine, too. I've waited WAAAAAY too long! LOL

(Zone 3b)

25*F ~ clear and sunny, so far:) The volcanco's status has been lowered as it's quieted down.
Sorry to be so far behind; I see winter is lingering a bit in many places. Lots of busy folks, too. Love this group of active people.
DH's completed stained glass project.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

How big is it Celia?
Ground anchors, even auger screw types, can pull out.
I've seen them use landscape timbers, cinder blocks or cement for the foundation. Then achor the house to them.
It all depends on how much wind you get routinely.
Gravel, pavers or wood chips is probably a personal choice.
Each have their merits.
Mine has decking..... but it's on a roof...... lol!

39 °F here cloudy and snowing.
We 'might' have touched freezing last night.
Mid 40's now projected for today... mid 50's tomorrow.

Ric

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold - Real Cold. I had to move the kerosene heater back in from the front porch. Hope it gets warmer soon.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

Sunday we had temps in the high 60's ,yesterday and today snow.ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by synda

Sharon, the pink tree is pink trumpet tree.

There is a moderate chance of "showers" this week, but I'm not holding my breath.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on April 07, 2009
66 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: 13 mph from the South
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

a couple more Arboretum pictures

Thumbnail by Kelli

golden trumpet tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

paintbrush lily

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ze Plane! Ze Plane! LOL!

Ric

(Zone 3b)

If it's not a volcano erupting, it's an earthquake~~
2009/04/07 20:12:54 (UTC)
Preliminary Magnitude: 4.7
Latitude: 61.475 Longitude: -149.805

I was downstairs and it sounded like a plane going over; no damage here.

This photo of Pioneer Peak is of the landslide caused during the 1964 earthquake.

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I've been busy these days digging and sowing the grass for our lawn. I'm way behind, but I'll try to catch up with you guys.
Here's me sowing!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Wow, Kiska, amasing!
Another one when I was wat.ering

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

kiska, you are really having a time there!!! And I was fussing here today because it turned colder LOL You take care of yourself and stay away from danger!!

(Zone 7a)

Ric, the GH is 6' x 6' x 7'. Our winds aren't usually too bad but sometimes we can get 50mph. gusts and sustained winds of 25-30mph in a storm. There is a fence that helps block the worst of it, though.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes,kiska, please stay safe--volcanoes and earthquakes are just too much to handle at the same time!
Celia: good luck with the greenhouse--we need a pic once you get it finished.
Bernie: send those landscape timbers on down---well, maybe not--the shipping costs would be prohibitive! LOL
EB: lake effect snow--and here I was complaining about our weather down here but the cold seems to have moved on out and it is warming up again to spring-like temps.
Sharon: good pics of the cardinal and the squirrel!
Adina: the bad thing about grass is that you have to mow it! LOL
Kelli: I love that golden trumpet tree.

It warmed up to 60 today and will be warmer tomorrow. It was 27 early this morning but the plants didn't seem to be any the worse for it, thank goodness.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.