April in Like a Lion Too!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cold and blowing here.
Tomorrow should be warmer and sunny.
Snow maybe Monday for opening day....
Seems to happen about every other year.

Those trees are Bradford Pears.
Weak wood, prone to splitting, wind tears them up.
But I agree beautiful in bloom.
I'll post another pic when I get home.

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Cold and overcast and sort of snowy. 1"-2" more snow expected later today.

34.9 °F Shooting for 43º.
Overcast
Windchill: 29 °F
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 29 °F
Wind: 7.2 mphfrom the North
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph
Pressure: 29.65 in (Steady)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1500 ft
Overcast 3700 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kwanjin, good for your brother doing so well! Glad you got some sleep. Pretty coleous leaf!

Marylyn, glad you had a good weekend. Don't you hate to forget the camera!

Adina, I just love hyacinths and those are a lovely blue!

Thanks Bernie, I'm glad she got a boy amidst all those beautiful girls. She's an awesome Mom!

Ric, Dave pulled another good one. I've only gotten in on a few and never took the time to check out the others.

Pepper, that's dreary! Even I would have trouble saying there's a day for everything.

Adina, prayers for DD! It will be interesting to hear about her job if she gets it.

Sharon, did you move north south east or west of your old home? I think we're all going to love your new neighbor!! Yayyy Callie! I love your kitchen! I like the nook, the L shaped counter at the sink and above the cabinet storage!

My Dad's here. I'll have to catch up later.

49*, sunny, WINDY AGAIN and chilly.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

No rain yesterday - no surprise there.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on April 03, 2009
66 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 34 °F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.77 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 9 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

another one of those tulips - In case you are wondering why I planted something that isn't supposed to bloom here, it is because they will bloom if refrigerated for 8 weeks before planting. I did that in the fall of 2006 and they all bloomed in 2007. I was going to dig them up for re-refrigeration, but didn't get to it but some of them bloomed in 2008 and again in 2009. I would say that the foliage returned for basically all of them, but less than half are blooming. Still that is infinitely more than were "supposed" to rebloom. The variety is Darwin Hybrids. I'm sure each color has a name, but they just came as a mixture. (BTW, I have tried species tulips that are supposed to rebloom here and they didn't do anything.) It's also a big year for aphids for some reason.

Thumbnail by Kelli

I don't remember the name of this one. I'm sure I've got the tag somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Due to predation, rot and other factors Tulips do less than stellar in many cold areas too Kelli.
We've had some Siberian Rock Tulips for about 10 years.
5 years ago we planted over 200 bulbs of many types.
We had a great first Spring.... maybe 12-15 are left now and only in certain areas.
And only in the backyard..... had to be squirrels getting the rest.
Wu is death to all small critters there.
I would definitely catalogue the tulips you have blooming..... the companies may have a market in your area for them.

48° (Wind Chill 41°) the T-Storms pounded us last night. Probably 1" of rain thru the afternoon.
Clearing now.... 60° and sunny tomorrow.

Here's a tree only shot.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

40 °F and very windy this evening with more rain and possibly some snow showers expected overnight. Quite a difference from yesterdays sunny 70°F high. I took a vacation day yesterday to take advantage of the nice weather and was able to get a ton of gardening done before going for a long bike ride. The weekend is looking nasty though. Bummer!

Ric...........the trees around here are not close to blooming yet but I did notice today the maple buds are beginning to swell. Tulips are mostly a one shot deal here as well. As for the deer, they probably lost their jobs in the country and came to town looking for work.

Welcome, AnjL!

Bernie..........There seems to be a lot of cute blue-eyed grand kids on this thread. You got a sweet deal on the scaffolding.

Sharona.......The house is looking great. You have a nice touch.

Here are a couple of recent photos..........A rural scene taken a few evenings ago.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

And one from yesterdays bike ride,,,,,,

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

e_b the first is beautifully pastoral .... the second is perfect.... Kudos!

Ric

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Mau – I’ve had cats all my life so I am very particular about when they are allowed outside after a move. It seems they are happy to stay close.
Angel – Let us know what temps you have in the sierras.
Celia – How is your brother? Did you give Monty bellykisses while he was in that pose? I wouldn’t have been able to resist!
Sally - We moved 4 miles South and about a ½ mile East. Thanks! I love the kitchen. For me it’s always been the heart of a home. Hope you had a nice visit with your dad.
Kelli – Your blooms are gorgeous!
Ric- The Bradford Pears are beautiful!
E_B – Thanks! Great pictures!

57.4 °F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 43 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Mostly sunny. High 72. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

We've got a chilly front moving through by Tuesday - in the 30's LOL! Now I have to find my Winter gear LOL!

I crashed and burned last night. After the move and missing 3 hours sleep eystreday I was toast by 7pm. Couldn't even eat dinner. I managed to get the 2 bar stools painted befor I was completely drained. I pulled them in for the evening. Today I will do one more coat then begin the distressing.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Here is the old/new chandelier in the kitchen

Thumbnail by MySharona

I bought these plates on 3 separate trips to the store Tuesday Morning. It had been months between purchases. I'm amazed I put this together without even trying!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Bright & 47 - will be warm enough to paint the porch later in the day.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

High wind warnings here since yesterday and throughout today. We've had pretty constant 35 MPH and gusts to 50 MPH. Also a little chilly out there with NO rain today.
Think I'll go shopping. LOL

(Zone 7a)

Great pics, everyone!

Sharon, you did good, even without me! LOL

I found out yesterday that someone had stolen our replacment credit cards out of our mailbox. Yikes! VISA kindly called and asked if we were on vacation after the first purchase in another state. I said NO WAY!!! They cancelled the cards, are sending new cards and are trying to find the culprits.

More snow but just an inch or so. Cold and breezy.

I've been sanding those green chairs for 4 hours. I'm green, everything is green and there is still green on the chairs! It's thick like a lacquer...ugh

(Zone 7a)

Ick!

I'm stained green - it won't come off!

(Zone 7a)

We'll have to start calling you The Wicked Witch! LOL Or Kermit...

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Let's call her Kermit--no wicked witches allowed on the weather thread! LOL
Great looking plate display Sharon--you did good!
Celia: that's scary about the credit cards--so glad the company is taking care of that!
Ric: nice trees
EB: lovely photos, as usual.
BP: enjoy your visit with your dad.
edited to add: Dyson, hope you got that porch painted.
Kelli: lovely flowers--love that iris!

It's been around 70 and sunny all day up here in Harrison, AR but somewhat windy, although certainly not 35 mph. However, "they" are saying we will have winds from 20 to 30 mph tonight and tomorrow with a high tomorrow off only 53 and a low tomorrow night of 32! GRRRR! Go away winter!!!

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 6:18 PM

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on April 04, 2009
66 °F
Clear
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 38 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.97 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

We went to the Arboretum today. It's the first time in weeks that I've felt up to going somewhere.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2009 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Thumbnail by Kelli

I don't know what this is.

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

We hit 70 today and mostly sunny though it was windy. Now storms are rolling thru.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful photos, Kelli! That last one looks like it might be a lilac?

Hope you aren't adversely affected by the stormy weather, pepper.

The individual flowers are much bigger than lilacs. The plant is a vine.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dark - half the porch is painted & I will continue tomorrow.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

33º & snow!
We are on the northern edge of the BIG storm.

Received an early Easter present yesterday. A couple I did an estimate for back in Feb. called yesterday & said their kitchen was a go. I drove to their house last evening & we went over a couple changes. They gave me the down payment & I finalized the plans & prices tonight. I will mail them the contract Monday. We will finish this one by end of May.

It's always nice to have work ready for when we finish a job. We now have enough until fall.

I planted my early crops in a high tunnel yesterday. Going to get a jump on everybody else!
It will be a couple weeks before planting is done outside.

Bernie

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Still Dark! 45 and calm.

I awoke, looked at the clock and freaked - thought I was two hours late for work as I am supposed to be there at 3:00 AM. Then of course I figured out that it is Sunday and not Monday.

The Kerosene heater is lit on the porch and in a couple of hours it will be warm enough to continue painting - reminds me I need to get more Kerosene today.

Everyone have a good day, Bernie (and others in the path) careful of the storm. I am going to call up some radar and see how extensive it is. - D

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Oh, it was a terrible storm. I'm glad we have the weather liars to keep us safe!
Just getting daylight now & I see maybe an inch of snow some places Lots of bare ground. Long ways from the 6' to 8'' they warned us about.

If I can make it out to the hen house, I need to feed them in a few minutes. They will be talking up a storm. (No pun intended.)

Daughter & SIL got some good deals at the auction yesterday. They said some guy was there bidding like crazy & many times paying more than retail! They got a pile of windows for $7, some laminate for a $1. A pile of boxes of nails for little of nothing. Some lumber also, but almost paid to much.

I bought a load of lumber at Memards yesterday to work on our newest greenhouse. I am going to build a waist high container for strawberry plants. I am done bending over to pick strawberries.

Well, hens are waiting.
Bernie

DysonLight and I've still got some green on my legs LOL! I've also got a sunburn on my shoulders and upper back. Thought I put enough sunscreen on. I put the hummer feeders out yesterday. This morning I saw 5 hummers. The pics didn't come out very well, but here is one hummer. There is a tufted titmouse nest in one of our trees and another nest - I think it's a Cardinal nest - in another.

62.1 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 56 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 5000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Partly cloudy. A 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 79. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Cardinal at one feeder

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, cute birdies! LOL It's still too cold for us to have hummers. I don't put out the feeders until May. I have pics of the finches and sparrows on the seed feeders but I'm too lazy to get them off the camera.

34.0 °F We have a warm spell coming. At least, I hope we do. 50º today, 58º tomorrow and 68º Monday.

Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 34 °F
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 23 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph
Pressure: 30.31 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 7500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Faded flower. I don't remember which one. Not awake yet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Should be near 70 here today then Bernie's storms will move thru.
They are talking highs in the 40's for Monday and Tuesday and snow flurries.....

Well I posted last night but it got eaten... Dave's kept going off-line.
We have the LR ceiling sanded, the walls primed and the trim mostly up.
The front porch post is repaired and a new light put in.
Kitchen cabs are all in and primed. Counter top installed.
That was a bear as the walls are all wonky.
There are NO 90 degree corners in this place.
All are at least 5 degrees + or - off....
There were 7 of us and it went pretty quickly.
Not Bernie quality work but..... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I never met a "Wonky" wall I liked!
Looking good, Ric. I bet it will be just fine when it's all done.

Sun is coming out now, 40º at high noon.
What snow there is, is disappearing fast. Winter can't overcome April, no matter what the weather liars have to say about it.
This morning they are saying the snow didn't materialize. I think the weather liars should stick their tiny heads outside once in a while & actually check the weather instead of their instruments.

We put a few cabinets together this morning. I am going to do some paperwork now.

Bernie

Dyson, isn't it the greatest feeling to think that you have to get up for work and then remember that it is not a work day? Ahhh.....

Bernie, it sounds like you get a lot of fulfullment from your job.

I'm feeling tired today. Hopefully it is just from all of the activity yesterday and not a re-emergence of whatever has been ailing me.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on April 05, 2009
78 °F
Clear
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 19 °F
Wind: 5 mph from the South
Pressure: 30.04 in (Falling)
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Some more pictures from the Arboretum

Thumbnail by Kelli

azaleas

Thumbnail by Kelli

A while back, Ric said that he likes the bamboo at the Arboretum, so this one's for you, Ric.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone!!! I have been checking in a few times but we have been so busy trying to move. Had to make a trip to Brunswick GA last Mon to meet with the builder. We have an apt. there and know where a storage place is close by in case we need it. Went to the bank to get an acct. set up. Picked out our doors, windows, plumbing and appliances. Then road out to the lot and discussed what trees are to be saved. I have a big live oak and maybe some smaller ones in the back. I won't go back there now because the snakes might be waking up LOL We did all that in one day and then came back to VA the next day. A very productive but exhausting trip. Now we are packing and have the moisture and termite guy coming out tomorrow. We are loading up our stuff on the 23rd!!! Not alot of time. Have to clean out the attic this Thurs.

Weather has been in the 70's the last couple of days and very cooperative for me to line dry my bedskirts and curtains and etc. before I pack them. The azaleas and dogwoods are just about ready to open. I get to enjoy them for one more time!! Did take time to trim back all the winter brown on my holly ferns so the beds would look nice for the new owners. Knock out pink rose bush and butterfly bush are really starting to come out. Also wisteria is showing quite a few blooms. Buyers will have a great time keeping that trimmed on the fence....it grows like kudzu!! LOL

That's it for this evening. I love to read and look at all of y'all's pictures. Everyone has something really interesting going on!! I will try to send a few pics soon of the yard before we move.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tornado Watch here till 1 AM after a GORGEOUS 73 degree Day!
(T-Storms have already moved thru though.)
I took lots of pictures, cleaned out a pond, hit the Home store and visited a lot w/ our neighbors.

Bless you Kelli!
THAT is my absolute favorite garden spot.
We were standing there listening to the wind in the tops forever it seemed.
THANKS!

Bernie I appreciate the comments.... and I agree Wonky Sucks! lol!

The floor is coming along nicely.
Robyn finished laying the Travertine.
We may have to remove one piece.... it developed a crack.
And if you ever decide to do Travertine..... buy 15% more than you figure.
It is brittle.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.