Chit Chat - Everyone Welcome - Part 120

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Steve, you don't have to remove the foam from your seedling, they will grow just fine. They will grow thru it and break it up as the roots expand.

Laurin's courtyard>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Amy and Jan and Dale.

Jan, I had let the roors soak in Superthrive overnight. I lost a lot of root when I tried to pick the stuff off of one plant (Passiflora).

I don't want to harm the other two - I'm just going to pot 'em up, like they are.

Steve

Kat you are the queen of container gardening.
That picture of your dogs is an award winner if I ever saw one!!! Priceless.

I'm tired today..... so may not be on any more until tomorrow morning :-)
enjoy your evening everyone.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Good night all.

This picture would have been better if the ball had not been almost on the ground. LOL

Thumbnail by wren107
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Hello everyone!
Kat, your planters are gorgeous as usual. Just love the bad hair pic,
Lucy, it's great to see you post. Brady must be keeping you very busy!
Mistress Linda, Congrats on your new job!
I know I'm forgetting lots but that's all I can remember.

I have something I want to show off. It is so special I gave it it's own thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/968484/

Thank you so much Jeremy!

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks everyone on the tips gives me some other avenues to explore. Steve I hadn't even thought of an electrical store. Don't know why i hadn't but will check it out.

Kat your containers are beautiful as well as the bad hair day picture. That is just adorable.

Want be on long tonite have my GD and she has worn me out.

Nite to all.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

good evening all you Florida folks..
Paul, beautiful LA iris
love those last doggy shots..
Kat, the wind in the hair should be entered in a contest...
Sandy, good shot of the 'brat'
Hi, Lucy, grammy pictures?
Hi to all you other lucky Florida folks where it is already warm, sunny,,
Elaine

South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Nite, Wren. Nite Linda. : )

Lizette, Brady is diffenently keeping me busy. : )
Kat, you have to enter that cute picture in the contest this year. It's a hoot. : )

~Lucy

Thumbnail by BlueGlancer

Hi Elaine. : ) I must have been reading your mind. lol I post a picture of him. Will get more this week. : )

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Lucy
Tell Brady that Breelyn says hi!

Thumbnail by budgielover
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

awwww, just want to kiss those popsicle toes and fingers. Brady and Breelyn too..
Ya'll need to save these pics and introduce them .. much later. lol

Oh, Jan, Breelyn is sooooo precious. I think Brady would like her. : ) We went to a reunion today, and there were 2 baby girls 2 months older than Brady. He was fasinated with them. One tried to take a toy he had, and he jerked it back and hollared. I don't think he is ready to share just yet. lol : )

good morning everyone. BREEEEEZY here...

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Breezy? I'd say there's a stronger word for it than that Hetty. It's been storming here all night, waking me every hour. Afraid to go out and look to see what's standing and what's not. Will wait for daylight, another hour and a half.

Molly

Good morning

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Drizzzle and light rain here.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Thunder and winds here all night. Raining now.
Big day. My son turns 21 today. So hard to believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Budgie - my son will be 21 in about ten days. Congratulations, I know how it feels. A big milestone.

They have promised a 40% chance of rain here today. Not holding my breath (sprinklers are running...)

Big winds were here yesterday...I had some seedlings outside, in small green pots - the wind tore some of them right out of the soil!

Steve

Jacksonville, FL

Good Morning all! We got some rain last night but it has stopped now. Rather cal here--no winds. Hopefully can get some yardwork done today

Congratulations,, Jan and Hetty. My son is 23. He lives in San Diego, only for 2 more weeks - he's going to bicycle back to Massachusetts, and stay there!

I'm a little worried about this trip. Three months bicycling, by himself.

Steve

Dale,

What kind of plant is that?

Steve

Brady has grown so much. He is adorable.

I haven't seen Isla lately. Talked to Mommy though. Isla had to have tubes put into her ears (lot of ear problems). So I talked to Mom after and she said Isla was very groggy afterwards and came home and took a nap. After the nap, Isla was up and ready to go. She immediately crawled over to the dog bowl wanting to have fun. I'm like, wait a minute, she is crawling? Why don't I have pictures of this big occaision? My daughter just laughed at me and said she would get pictures and send them to me. Haven't gotten them as yet.

We are hoping to pop over there today for a few minutes even though the boys aren't there.

Dale - beautiful picture

Sandy - I see the Brat is up to his old tricks as usual. The pic is great!

Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Morning all! Wonderful rain here well better than a mist but any rain is good. The plants are smiling. Lots of thunder and lightning.

Cute baby pictures. Makes you want to just squeeze them. AND THEN SEND THEM HOME AFTER YOU ARE FINISHED LOVING ON THEM. I do miss having little ones around. Lucy Brady is almost grown.

Steve i know you worry but i am sure son will enjoy the bicycle trip.

Molly it was so breezy here yesterday we had to unplug the motion detector.

Hope everyone gets lots of rain today. I am off to get dressed for church.

I think I need to put a cover over my potting bench. I just came in form planting seeds that I had not planned to plant for a couple more weeks- Boy where the packages soaked.

Port Charlotte, FL

Ok all I can say is RAIN Glorious RAIN!!!!! Now I know the plants will start actually growing instead of merely surviving. I think we must have gotten 3 inches last night. Always a casualty tho....my near blooming dahlia with buds as big as grapes was blown over. UGGGGGHHHHH. Maybe I can save part of it.

Port Charlotte, FL

Kat..where did you get your delphinium?? I would like some also.

Have found the most wonderful websites for Lilies. Thought I would share them with you.
Mailings end March 31st so I thought everyone would like to know. I was like a kid in a candy store.

http://farawayflowers.vstore.ca/

and

http://bdlilies.com/or.html

Ramona is the owner of faraway flowers. Great lady.

The rain has caused a couple of plants to flower - really cool to see.

Steve

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Hetty, I'm so sorry I did not make it back down to Naples today, but I tried. Safelite had been here to change out the windshield due to a crack and in the process they broke the part of the windshield wiper system that controls how the blades go back and forth. The guy said they'd be out of sync until they could get the part to fix it. Well, yes, they were out of sync on my street, but once I got going over 45mph, the left blade would go all the way off the windshield, and I couldn't trust that I would not lose it doing 70 to get to Naples, so I had to come back.
I'm glad I made it down yesterday as I purchased three plants that I really like. I got this tibouchina, that the dealer said, unlike the other variety would bloom all year round.

Thumbnail by Eclecticuno

Marianne, I am glad it was nothing more serious than a windshield wiper problem!!
One of these days we'll get together here and I will give you a condensed version of my talk :-)

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I also got this homalomena, aka permapress plant. You can ball up the leaves in your hand and they don't crease or break! It's supposed to hold up to folks walking back and forth in the entry of my house! I'll probably kill it some other way before five people get to walk past it!! In taking this shot, I just realized how much the table and mirror are off center! I'll have to correct that.

Thumbnail by Eclecticuno
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I also got this cotton candy fern, which I'll use in one of Kat's heads, if I ever get it "combed" out.

Thumbnail by Eclecticuno
Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Hetty, than you for being so understanding. I just hate it when I can't keep my word. I look forward to having you share your knowledge of plumies with me.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Does anyone plant pineapple tops? My roommate loves pineapples. He eats one a week or so, so I have been planting the tops for the last three years. Normally I keep them in pots, but over the last couple days I have put about 15 in the ground. Some were recently hardened off and the others were severely pot bound 5' in diameter plants. This year I have one fruit coming up, last year there were three. Evidently they are popular with mammals, since last year, the fruit was hollowed out at the back. So I thought the fruit was fine, but then discovered a 1" hole and the fruit was hollow. My mother always said to plant in threes: one for mother nature, one for hte birds and one for me. :)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have a couple of them and they are still in pots. I'm thinking of planting them in the ground. I haven't gotten any fruit from them yet. I can't wait! I love pineapple!

Darla

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I am astounded at how large the pineapples are when the pots weren't that big. Probably half a gallon. Mine did fine through the winter, except the exposed ones which froze. If they were undera tree or an awning, they were fine. Or if Spanish Moss fell on them. Next year, I will cover them all with Spanish Moss.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have some pineapples in ground. I have had mixed success. Some fruit once, rot sets in and they die. Of the survivors they seem to produce every other year for me. I don't give them much care - water during long dry spells is about all I do. They made it thru this winter and I didn't cover them, but, they are up against the house and it stays warmer there.

I don't have critters in my area, not many squirrels and they are the main pest.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

My poor pineapples get no care. I don't even water. I am amazed how well they do.

I am pretty sure it was my raccoon that hollowed out the fruit.

I notice you are in Tampa too. I always think of myself as between zone 9a/9b. Are we really in 10a? I live near 301 and I-4. Are you close to water?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I live on McKay Bay - Palmetto Beach (Near Ybor). I am warmer than you because I am one block from the bay. We only had one frost here this winter - everyone else had several.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.