Chit Chat - Everyone Welcome - Part 120

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Good morning all and hope you have a great weekend!

Sandy, what is that red flower- salvia?

Molly I like your solid orange gallardia. Did you start that from seed?

Happy gardening.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Does anybody know what became of Sidney (sugarweed)? I don't see any of her postings this year.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

f4f, no, that was from a plant bought from Bluestone Perennials early last year. Although I have been trying to let them re-seed themselves, I haven't seen any seedlings popping up there. Over in the back, I did get Burgundy to re-seed. Wasn't that the one Steve?

Steve, as for Sugarweed, she is no longer a member of Dave's. If you would like to contact her, I can give you her email, privately, if you wish.

She came to visit me a month or so back. Took a little dorm fridge back with her to give her hostas a longer cool period for better growth and health for them.

Molly

Molly,

I was just curious. She's a nice lady - she sent me things, water crystals, Messenger, and I didn't really know her.

Why isn't she a DGer anymore?

Steve

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

It is something we should not go into. OK

Yes that is a salvia-do not know the name as it was unlabeled but I had to have it.

I just get this one yesterday. http://www.burpee.com/product/perennial+flowers/salvia/salvia+sensation+rose+-+1+plant.do?search=basic&keyword=salvia&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Thumbnail by wren107
Zolfo Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Good morning all!!! Everyone has been really busy chatting. I have worked in my gardens until i am to tired to chat. I am wanting to thow a whole bag of fertilizer around my plants to make them bloom faster. hehe

Kat love the nail job and do you think if i had left you a big basket for your cracked heals i would fess up to it???? NOT!!!! lol
Love those foot condoms.

Dale is that this years gardens?? pretty
Congratulations Linda on your new job. Hope it turns out to be exactly what you want.

Wren pretty salvia I have that one and it is beautiful right now.

Molly what rain are you talking about I am like Steve haven't seen or felt any. It does look cloudy and overcast tho.

I had to go this week and buy a second swing for my garden. My sistas were complaining there was not enough room for them all to swing. So now there is. My DH just finished re doing a picnic table and i can't believe I didn't take a before and after picture. He did a wonderful job. Another place to set plants. hehe

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Hello to everyone i missed.

Very pretty Wren. I have that one also just bought it. My sister has it and it just blooms and blooms and stays beautiful. You will love it and the cold did not kill hers.

Thank you I have another one of a different color.

Here is a few plants that I get.

Thumbnail by wren107

Your garden is beginning to really show all the hard work.

In the last week i have put in salvia, large pentas, lots of lantana and marigolds. I just noticed my day lilys have lots of buds coming out.

HELP!!

Several years ago I bought a set of rock garden lights at Sams. The fuse in the timer box has blown and i cannot find a new one. It is a 10 A or 125 . I ordered some 10A off line and they are to long. I tried a 9 amp and it just blows those. Any suggestions. I don't know the name of the company where they came from to order parts. I have tried Auto Suppy, Lowes, HD , Radio Shack don't know where else to go. Suggestions?????

How about Amazon.com.

I just finished for the day. Well take pictures later if it does not rain.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Today an order has been placed for a subscription for your account on Dave's Garden. Your account is now fully subscribed through Mar 29, 2010 6:57 AM.

OK. You folks are stuck with me for another year. LOL

Wlll, breaks over. Gotta get back to the chain saw. A 3 yr old Castor bean fell over during the night.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Lee, take them back to Sam's and ask who they got them from - this sounds like a research project! Good luck.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 12:17 PM

LeePerk,

I would suggest taking the fuse to an electrical supply store. They would know - if nothing else, they could probably match it up and order one for you.

I Googled 'electrical supply Sarasota' and got these - it's a place to start:

http://www.e-ces.net/
http://www.ew-fl.com/index.php
http://www.louispryor.com/
http://www.worldelectricsupply.com/
http://www.graybar.com/
http://www.rexelusa.com/

Steve

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

Linda...are they solar and do they look like these?

http://www.solargardenstore.com/site/1479562/page/620699

If so, maybe this company could help you out. Otherwise, I've got a great guy who did all of my lighting here. He has a truckfull of parts and I could ask him about this strange little fuse.

Kat

Great flowers Molly and Sandy!

I finally got around to planting some Hyacinth beans last Sunday and they're starting to sprout! Here's the cutting I had started a month ago - I just love the flower and it actually has a real nice scent!

Thumbnail by KatG

What the heck is up with that wind today??? Poor Don who has been working like a crazy person in tax season came home and had to pull one of the potted palms out of the pool! I was just going to do it (well actually I was thinking about it!). Bet he wishes he had of stayed at work! LOL

Thumbnail by KatG

I just finished planting my new Bismarck Palm I got from Home Depot. I love silver/grey plants. Underplanted with a little dusty miller, pink petunias and bacopa.

Thumbnail by KatG

Another really cute little plant I found - it's labeled 'dead nettle"???

Thumbnail by KatG

The boug's are really amazing this year...

Thumbnail by KatG

My first Mandevilla Blooms this year...

Thumbnail by KatG

Bougies like it dry.... those red ones are stunning.

Well I better get back out there...I have a few plants! hehehe

Thumbnail by KatG

Kat,

I've always said that my Bismarck palm was my most favorite plant. It took a big hit this winter, but the center of it has new branches growing - it'll come back fine.

Steve

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Kat, Your "dead nettle" is lamium and comes in other colors including white, purple and yellow. Grew them as ground cover up north. Did you ever make it to Sarasota for the planter you so like? Helene

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well I went back outside this morning to finish planting some dwarf gardenias. Got one in the ground and stuck the shovel in the ground to dig the other hole and I found this huge root right under the shovel. it was as big around as my leg.

Thumbnail by Darlacooper

the only saw I had was a pruning saw and a drill with a bit to drill holes. A nice elderly man was out for a walk and on his way home which is just up the street, he stopped and chatted for a moment and he said he'd come back with a chain saw. MAN I gotta get me one of those! lol I spent 3 hours working on that thing and he cut it in less than a minute. I came inside, had a shower, lunch and a serious nap! lol

Darla who's but got kicked by a root!

Only one root? We have a lot of thoes-why do you think I am growing most things in pots. LOL

Most of the others I have found are only as big as my wrist. lol I'm saving all of the big ones for firewood next winter

Darla

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Yeah Darla, I know about those roots.

I was digging the new trench for the Romex wire I cut, ran into some very healthy roots of a long leaf pine. My trench was only about 14 inches from the trunk. Well, I didn't want to hurt the tree, so dug around the roots and cleared a space under them to feed the wire through. Don't want that tree to lose its feet and fall on the house or cars. It's a big one.

I got two of my rain barrels set up today, now makes 3 that are done. The one that's in the dog yard, I put a short hose to the top overflow bib and stuck the hose in a 5 gallon bucket. That way the girls will have water to drink when they are outside.

We'll see how all this works when it rains tonight. That is if the wind doesn't blow the barrels, house and trees all down with it. It is wild out there!!!!!!

I actually got a lot of stuff cleaned up out there and now I am wondering "where the devil are all these plastic bags coming from?"
They are blowing everywhere. And I don't take plastic when I shop, I take paper.

Didn't get to Bronson today, so will scrounge around to find something to eat. Maybe some more eggs and hash browns.

I need to go figure out this Facebook thing. bbl

Molly

Steve...Bismarck is my favorite also. I have a huge one in the front of my house. Used to be a triple, but one section didn't make it. They are definitely hard to clean up though...you really have to use a chain saw. This one is badly in need of a trimming...I've been holding off though until it got warmer. Maybe tomorrow!

Thumbnail by KatG

HELP!!!

I got some small seedlings in a trade (I know, the pic is fuzzy, best I could do).

At the base of each one, there's a cube of what feels like a spongy material, and the roots are growing right through the cube.

I tried carefully taking off the cube on one plant, but I took some roots with it.

I can't ask the sender - she's never online.

Anybody know what the cube is? Am I supposed to leave it there, and let the roots grow through it? Will it disintegrate after a while?

Steve

Thumbnail by skaz421

Thanks Helene for the info...I've never seen the Nettle here before. And no, I haven't had a chance to get up there yet...we've just been so busy on weekends lately.

Tucked the Nettle into a planter with Delphinium, Geraniums and white ___? (the name is escaping me now - as it's usually blue!). I really like that plant and it may be coming out of the pot if it starts going crazy and I'll try it as a groundcover! My pots are constantly changing!

Thumbnail by KatG
Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Material like this is to aid in rooting. You can plant the whole thing in a pot or in the ground. It will disintegrate.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Steve
It's floral wet foam. Used in floral arranging but some people use it foe rooting cuttings. I would soak the whole thing is water to get it really wet and pick away what you on the outside without damaging the roots. Then the pot up the remaining root ball. The rest will gradually breakdown.

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 6:47 PM

Oh my Goodness Darla! You need to turn those roots into some kind of decorative craft! LOL!

I had such a good day today...got so much accomplished. My little potting area is looking like a garden center! haha. I haven't been able to fit in a full day for a while and I didn't do laundry, clean and I'm not cooking tonight! Other than accidently watering my IPhone/speaker module, it's been good!

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 6:59 PM

Thumbnail by KatG

WARNING...This is scary! LOL

Talk about a bad hair day...Can somebody please turn off the wind?

hahahaha

Thumbnail by KatG

Another container I put together today with those cool "Kangaroo Paws"! I found the terracotta planters at Home Depot for $18 a piece, which I didn't think was too bad. They're nice and big...heavy though.

Thumbnail by KatG

Now that is a bad hair day. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.