TEA ROOM # 33

Sydney, Australia

Hi all.
Off to Sussex tomorrow morning. Couldn't be bothered going now after a long day.
The boss had a rostered day off and went down last night. She has bought chocolate and a second hand book and is enjoying self time.
Thanks for the Spider Lily ID Chrissy. Only two there but they are beautiful. Did not notice them last year. They must have come up in the middle of a very bushy Geranium which has since been cut back.
Stake - Don't know if Pat will be going to a bull fight but he has agreed on the wine. He went online this week to try to buy U2 tickets as they are in Barcelona when he will be. He is a little deflated at the moment as they sold out in half an hour.
I'm still working on the Bantams Kat. I have an ally in my daughter who thinks it's a great idea to get some.
As for Freesias I have some that won first prize at the Royal Easter Show. One of my clients at the time showed them. He sent me some and they come up every year. At Sussex there are plenty that come up in the front lawn which looks great and my mother gave me a bag full which will need to be planted this weekend. We love smelly stuff.
Cheers
Steve

Brisbane, Australia

Steve, we take the bantams with us. They don't live in Caloundra (but I think they would like to) but the Wyandottes are very docile and lay big eggs. Cochins are docile too. We just put them in a carry cage and they don't seem to mind the trip and they love it there as they don't have the predators we have here in Brisbane. We have made an enclosure with wire and garden stakes and they could hop over if they wanted but don't. Previous breeds have jumped the boundary fences and gone walkabout. I think the new chicks may be like that but only two are hens so the boys will have to go. As we have decent fences at Caloundra, we often just let the girls go for it. We have compost bins and there is always fresh compost and bugs to dig and eat. They all have individual chookanalities. Chooklet is the explorer and we actually unwrapped a 3 metre carpet snake from her late one night here..about two years ago. It had found her roosted on a fence (down in the gully) late at night (we were still searching for her) and the snake got there first. It had lifted her off the fence in its coils and was starting the crush and swallow. We only found her by following the screams..chook screams. Luckily snake was starting from the feet up. DB grabbed the snake, uncoiled it, threw snake (at my feet) and I shoved screaming chook under my jacket for about ten or twenty minutes as we were afraid it would die of shock. Its still okay though I often wonder if chooks have nightmares. We lost another last year..just no sign at lock up time...don't know whether it was a hawk that day or snake at night..(or that day). Stayed out searching till about 1 am..no sign. When they free range, they start laying eggs somewhere in the jungle then get broody and don't return. I try to watch for signs of nesting. They haven't free ranged for three weeks because of the marauding cat, hawk, snakes etc.

Merino, Australia

Good morning all. Very foggy here this morning but should be a nice day later. I have a bit of work to do today getting ready for the local Lions auction tomorrow. I have the trailer to load with my plants to sell and a bit of stuff for the auction. We will be unloading in the dark tomorrow as one has to be down there arond 6.30am to unload. I can then come back and have a cuppa until about 9am when we go down with the plants. It looks like being good weather tomorrow too. some years we have had rain and usually wind which is no fun to be out in all day.
I hopw the weekend is a very happy one for the birthday ladies . I wish you lots of plant presents. don't eat too much cake or you will never be able to bend over to plant all your lovelies.
Steve , sounds as if your weekend is going to be very busy planting bulbs. I love those spider lilies and have my first one out for this year. I like the white best.
Kat, I would say you have a lot of very spoiled chooks. Ha ha. Lucky you saved that poor thing from the snake although, I bet the snake wasn't pleased about losing his tea.
Hello to everyone else. I am off outside now the sun is poking through. I hope I can sell all my plants tomorrow .
As I am usually the only one htere that sells plants , I don't get to buy any more to bring home.
In a few weeks we will be going to Portland to see the dahlias so I will be taking lots of photos of them and the Anzac Day display made with the flowers.
Have to run, have a great weekend . .
For the birthday "girls"
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
melbourne, Australia

good morning.

lovely day here today. jean - good luck with the plant selling. what sort of plants do you sell? i am going to another small market today - this one is not 1/4 of the size as the one i normally wait all month for... but in the local paper they advertised punnets of flowers for $2.00 so i am going to have a quick look. if its the stall i am thinking of i got some lovely seedlings last year and they all survived well. foxgloves, stocks etc. will look out for other ones i haven't got. its meant to be 26 degrees today so a lovely day to garden all day.
also saw a garage sale advertised with plants so will drop in there for a quick look. garage sales are always great to buy plants at - most are all so established and cheap. good place to buy pots etc too.

my mum is coming down tuesday and we are heading for the melbourne plant and flower show on wednesday. i am so excited. have never been before. will take the camera and gets lots of shots to show.

shelly xx

Brisbane, Australia

Happy Birthday Colleen & Sammut! I hope you have a lovely weekend & get some nice treats.

The weather in Bris is now improving rapidly - cooler nights, breezy days - just perfect! It's so nice to be outside in the garden.
My jobs for today are to pot up my angels courtesy of Chrissy, check my pelagoniums from Colleen and find a home for my new blue/purple ginger I bought last weekend for a song! And I might even make a start on clearing out the vege patch. Now the weather is kinder, I can move my chillis, basil, lettuce around there & plant out the little paw paw trees I've got going from seed. Over summer the vege patch just copes too much sun for them to survive. That should keep me occupied!
Happy gardening to all!
Leisa.

Thumbnail by LeisaD
melbourne, Australia

hello,

have been to the market. they didn't have much or what they did have that i was interested in was quite expensive so they stayed there.

i did get 8 native trees for $1.50 each. all different ones to go in the paddock.
also got a cute pot full of pregnant onion plant - it has 4 little pregnant onions in the pot and one has a baby. has anyone got one of these?
i then got a punnet of snapdragons for $2.00.

then went to two garage sales and didn't buy anything.

shelly

Sunshine Coast, Australia

Shelly that is a few good bargains. It rained here today in Buderim so I didn't go to the market. Weather just too miserable.

To all our birthday people... Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by Marleneann
Brisbane, Australia

Hello all.
How was your Saturday? I went to a Garden Show which was disappointing as the 'display' was just flowers stuck in bottles but the plants for sale section had loose bromeliads at 50 cents each. The lady at the door counted all the bits as some had pups but, at that price, who's complaining? I guess they were picked over before I got there but there seem to be some with serrated edges and some that are smaller. Whoo-hoo anyway. Then we went on a tour of the Botanic Gardens and I would have taken cactus photos for you, Colleen and Brian, but I ran out of memory. I thought that was impossible but I forgot to take my bag with extra memory. I went with one of my sisters as everyone in this house would have been bored! Five minutes and we would have been gone..probably to a computer place! The Botanic Gardens is a nice place to spend an afternoon walking anyway. Hope you all had an equally good day. We didn't get any rain today but they are saying now that the next few days will be very wet and windy. Cheers all, Kat

se qld, Australia

Was that the Mt Cootha gardens Kat? I've never had the chance to have a good look around there, but love their glasshouse (the dome).

Morning all. We had a couple of showers here during the night, just enought to make things humid if the sun comes out. Even a bit of rain always seems to freshen up the garden though. I brought back a heap of grevilleas (mostly) from my trip away, so have lots of planting to do (as always lol) Enjoy what is left of the weekend all.

Merino, Australia

In a rush, left key under doormat. please open up who ever pops in first. Off to the auction and hope to sell a lot of my plants. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Lovely morning again. I hope your sale goes well Jean. The weather should be really good for you. I was going through some flower pics this morning and I came across a Medinilla magnifica, I was wondering if any of you have the plant and would be willing to share with me. I cant find one in any garden sites but must admit haven't tried them all yet. I will keep trying. Leisa, my son was really pleased with the assortment of broms. Most of them have pups of their own now so they are growing well. Thank you again. How are your cuttings going that I sent? How did the wedding go Helen? beautiful weather for it. Shellyto4kids how are all your plants going? You must be getting a good assortment by now. If you would like any more just yell. That was a good buy with the natives what sort did you get? Good to see you pop in Marleneann, are you well? Thank you for the birthday greetings, One more day Sammut. What did your family have planned for you? Katciao, that was a bit cheeky to sell the pieces for 50 cents and then charge you for every extra pup. but as you said that was still cheap. well must go, be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
melbourne, Australia

colleen,
most of your cuttings are going really well. there are probably only a couple of ones that look like daisies that are looking a bit sad. i still have hope for them though. i put a lot of succulents in the garden yesterday so i have room on my potting bench again. it was full to the brim before then. i have an old bbq that i use for my potting bench.... it is perfect as it has two levels. it sits on my front porch and looks quite good with all the plants on it.

my natives are:
melalueuca - snow in summer
callistemon viminalis - red one.
eucalyptus melliodora x 2
melalueca sytphelioides
sydney blue gum
maleulueca amrillaris - bracelet honey myrtle
eucalyptus leucokylon rosea - red flowers.

i have a line of natives down one side of my property - and then quite a few hundred at the bottom of the property. i am filling in gaps in the line down the side at the moment. like to have a variety for different animals and birds.

looks like another lovely day. going to clean up the house and then do lots of gardening again.

shelly

se qld, Australia

Now that you mention it Colleen, Medinilla of any kind are not something I can remember ever seeing on mail order sites.

M. magnifica is something that I've been meaning to get for a while. If you know how to propagate it Colleen I'm happy to get one and take a bit off for you. I've never propagated them so don't have the foggiest idea.

barmera, Australia

Gardengal. No I dont know how to propergate them but I would presume that they have a bulb or a tuber just by looking at them. I will do a bit of a search and see what I come up with. They're a stunning plant are'nt they? Colleen

western sydney nsw, Australia

Hi Colleen,
Yesterday my daughterin law took me to a Thia temple saw beautiful dancers I did not know so did not have my casio with me the gardens were out standing I was really relaxed when we left .
then we went shopping till I droped she bought me more tops and black vest and scrafs a big lunch is happening to day with my cake and more pressies I better start moving or I wont be ready when they come to pick me up.
Hows your week end going now dont tidy the boys room I am sure they are busy making your card and a surprise for you Wow its time I was getting ready .---------Sammut.

Me again I did not thank every one for the birthday wishes avery big THANK YOU .---------Sammut

Brisbane, Australia

Morning all, it's a lovely breezy coolish Bris morning here - just perfect to do a few garden jobs & get some washing dry in quick time. And a little bit of rain overnigth has just put a nice fresh gleam on things!
Colleen my pelargoniums (I have trouble spelling that every time!) are doing fine. I'm going to water them this morning with some seaweed emulsion to help the roots along. Your pic above is lovely - such a pale pink.
And Chrissy I'm finally going to pot up the angels this morning, the white nubbles are just bursting to go!
Pam & Kat, I had a wander around Mt Cootha gardens last week too - there is always something to see & yes the dome is always so lush. I enjoy the cactus/succulent walk through area, also with a few broms. So many weird shapes. Kat what was the Garden Show you went to? I've heard the tropical plants show held recently was pretty good.
For anyone around Bris interested in broms, the Qld Brom Society show is on 18-19 April at Mt Cootha. I'll be there on the Sunday giving a hand - clueless as I am... It -might- actually stop me buying too much though!
Shelly(4kids) - funny I have to same perfect potting bench! My BBQ is not very attractive, but nice & functional! I "found" it on the side of the road during one of the hard rubbish collection days we had a few years back. I've just bought a cheap bench from Bunnings to raise up my potting mix etc to spare my back a bit, but it looks a bit flash next to the BBQ!
It's amazing the stuff people put out that people come past & collect. As they say "one man's trash, is another persons treasure". I also "acquired" a couple of old pot stands the same way. They are as solid as & a bit rusty, but perfect for my orchids at the back of the garden against the fence.
Jean, I'm just ducking in to steal a yummy treat for "ron" (after my gardening is done)! Thanks they look yummy!
Chrissy, before I go I finally found the name of this plant - Kaempferia - see http://www.gingergarden.com/zingiberaceae/kaempferia/
Happy gardening all! Leisa

Thumbnail by LeisaD
se qld, Australia

Colleen, I've just had a bit of a Google re medinilla propagation.

From what I can gather Spring cuttings with bottom heat are the way to go, but can still be difficult. I was surprised to read that it can be found growing as an epiphyte in the Phillipines. It would certainly be stunning.

melbourne, Australia

just found this - when i was looking in google to see what the plant looked like (gorgeous!). one person says it has seeds....
http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oztrop/msg0123333513297.html

Still raining here on the Sunshine Coast.
Sorry I have been off line again as my puter was being naughty again.

Jean I was starving so I had to use the kitchen. Sorry all the food is gone but I did leave some eggs and butter for you to make more.*G*

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Colleen you can buy it here...this is the place where I get all my oleanders,pachypodiums,.....El is reasonable and very efficient...

http://cactusisland.com.au/main/page_medinilla_magnifica.html

Brisbane, Australia

It's a great online nursery, Mya. I have bought a few batches of things from them and they have always arrived in good condition. I D-mailed Colleen with that link early this morning. ..and the medinilla magnifica is listed as one of their specials. Where's this rain we were promised? Lovely sunny but blowy day. have a good gardening day, all. Hope your auction/ plant sale went well, Jean. Happy Birthday, Sammut and Colleen. Cheers all, Kat

Christchurch, New Zealand

it was just the most perfect day here.
Glorious sunshine but not too hot, my dog training went really well & after that we bought some potting mix & a trough & I spent the afternoon playing in the dirt :)
I pinched out laterals off my tomatoes & have them potted in litre yogurt tubs that fitted nicely into the trough. then I adjusted the plastic covering over the tomatoes so they have a tidier 'greenhouse' to keep them snug over night.
We had our first frost last Monday & I was lucky enough to cover all the tomatoes so they are still thriving.
Picked 7 to finish ripening on the windowsill.
Still have heaps on the vine so am hoping the plastic bag trick gives them time to ripen.
I took a cutting of my white hydrangea as well, hope to get that to strike for Mum.
Potted a pineapple sage cutting as well. Have been warned it spreads so will keep it potted.

Good afternoon to all ,
i see your using old BBQ. frames here is mine a find on the side of the road . I made a plant stand---------
Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut

I had a nice lunch with family and freinds home to have a rest I got a new god for the garden and afew other things .
THis was on the table a beautiful ballon decoration. Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut

Here is my new garden statue------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut
melbourne, Australia

that is a gorgeous garden statue sammut. great present :)
my bbq looks like yours but i left the grill bit on mine. have so many pots covering it that you can't see the grill. have turned it around so knobs are unseen and you would never know it is a bbq. will be looking out for another one as i have another perfect spot near the woodshed where another one would go nicely. love how i water the plants on the top and it drips down and waters the ones at the bottom. have ones at the bottom that don't need much water and only occassionaly spray them.
have been planting more seeds today - oh my i must have hundreds planted now. have little seedlings popping up everywhere and the snails don't seem to be chomping them so obviously the war against them has worked :)
shelly

barmera, Australia

Thank you Katciao, Shelly and Gardengal for all your help. I will go and have a look at the links and let you know what I decide. Colleen

Shelly,
I made my potting table from a screen door excess water drains down any soil spills . Sammut.

melbourne, Australia

screen door at the top... what did you use for legs? you sound like me sammut convert anything into something else.

Hi Shelly ,
Just been out watering ---table made set of A frames thates one each end in the center I have the good old milk crates with a bucket on top at the back in front a metal peice of pipe
I have extended a bread tray on milk crate and bucket on the end of the table .
pic 1 A frame

Thumbnail by sammut

Pic. 2 is center hard to see at back milk crate bucket on top in front steel pipe

Thumbnail by sammut

Pic. 3 is extension bread tray on milk crate and bucket. I made with any thing I had

Thumbnail by sammut

This is how it looks just taken

Thumbnail by sammut

here is a hanging chain wall I hung this morning ----------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut

The sink was a plant pot and odd peices of wood I run a hose from the bottom into the drain .

barmera, Australia

A very happy and healthy 70th birthday, Sammut.Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Elaine ^_^
Have a wonderful day ...
a bouquet of angels just for you.

Thumbnail by
melbourne, Australia

sammut - thanks for sending in pics. it looks really good.
i absolutely LOVE your cow watering can. i would have that!!!
hope you have a very happy birthday.
shelly xx

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.