TEA ROOM # 33

se qld, Australia

Shelley, they're not too hard to come by in your part of the world, and would grow easy peasy. In cooler climates they need some care to get them through the winter. I've been hassling hubby to build me a brick wall for a heat bank but he doesn't seem to get that I really NEED it.

So Jade will simply have to spend another winter sitting on top of the water heater.

Merino, Australia

Gardengal, I found a way to store my pics. I buy a pack of 10 CDs from Harvey Norman. They come with different colored covers. I think only around $8 or $9 . I use the different colors for different subjects.
eg ... purple for broms , yellow for iris etc. i can just put a CD in computer when I need something from it or add to it.
A lot easier than storing them all on computer in endless files.
Jean.

se qld, Australia

Thanks for that Jean. They're rewriteables, obviously?

Barmera, Australia

Easier than that is a Memory stick of two or four GB for about $12 to $20 you can fit an awful lot of photos on that size storage.
Brian

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Jean,We did have more rain here last night.Bummer!!!!!!but it has been warm and Pretty other then that.Well have a bless night/day and enjoy.Take care and stay safe.

Cody

Shell,sorry i was not on last night.

Thumbnail by TheAngelGirl
Christchurch, New Zealand

GardenGal - your SPCA special is a sweetie - & people pay up to $1500 for 'designer dogs' of his breeding so he was a bargain:)
Cody - cute kittens.
I have spotty dogs so love the spotty kitten.
In NZ & Aussie we have to watch out for animals with pink noses - they can get sunburned & develop skin cancer.
I put pink zinc on my dals.
I have seen white kittens with bright green zinc on their noses.

Coushatta, LA

Thanks dalfyre.Have a great day.

western sydney nsw, Australia

Good morning to all ,
We had a storm last night so every thing is well watered , this morning I saw on my tree fern new green fond looking out it was the one thate was burned in all the heat .
This morning I am taking 2 of my cuttings a pink cammellia and a croton to give as a thank you to the people who kindly gave me the angel cuttings . Now every one have fun playing in the dirt to-day and the workers I hope your day flys .---------Sammut.

Thumbnail by sammut
Merino, Australia

Good morning all. The morning is dull here with very light misty sprinkle. . Yesterday was a lovely day after the morning shower cleared. i finally manged to get a large tree root chopped away from the door of my zygo house. It had grown up out of the ground enoough to partly block opening the door wide. Hubby took the chainsaw to it and then I chopped it all away. Lovely to not have to squeeze through a narrow opening now that I can open the door properly.
Brian, thank you for replenishing the wine bar, but I fear some has already disappeared due to 'someone' from Qld. I won't mention any names will I ,Shelly ?
i used one of those memory sticks but once I put the info on it i could never get it to work in my computer again. I took it back to the shop and our lovely resident techie there had it working in the shop computer, it just doesn't like me or my computer.. I'll stick to the discs as they work for me. Most of those memory sticks , I was told,are not for very long term keeping as the memory deteriorates or something. Even discs do too after a while. He said it pays to redo any info after a few years.
I find, that I can copy anything off them and to write on, I just drag any file on and copy to the disc. I use Verbatim 700mb discs.
Personally, I think all computers should come with their own resident little techie. Doesn't it make you feel so silly when some nice young thing about 1/3 your age can instruct you on how to do something ?
Hello Gardengal, Such a cute face on your little dog. I do love the color of that Jade vine .
Have a Happy day Cody and enjoy your little kittens.
Dalfyre, how are things where you are ? I had a dalmation once. We got her from the pound . poor thing, her owners had her spayed and then decided they wanted to breed so threw her out and bought new. We had her for a year or so but for some unknown reason , she went a bit mental and started getting stroppy with everyone including the other dogs. She took a nip at one of the kids so had to go.
i couldn't put her back in the pound as she obviously had a problem so had her humanely put down.
We make do with the magpies here . The 'children' as we call them, run our lives quite well. They come to the back door and demand their breakfast.
We have one of last years young ones that is such a sticky beak. I use my old wheelbarrow for potting etc and she will sit on the handle and watch my every move. If I am digging, she will come looking for grubs etc and many times I have nearly stepped on her.
Hello Chrissy. I took some pollen from Alphonse yesterday and I am going to put it on whichever new flower opens first , just to practise for better things .
I am looking out for any Angels so I can beg pieces, but the only one I have ever seen around is a tatty looking white one in Portland Botanic Gardens. I will get some though just in case it is something we don't have.
Hello Sammut, Mya, Shelly (V) and Kat.
Hello also to anyone I have missed. Off to hang out the washing. The sky is clearing and it may be a nice day.
Enjoy your day. and have a slice of this Pumpkin Pie
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
se qld, Australia

Oh that does look delicious Jean. With all those yummies you regularly post it's a good thing I don't bake much (she says as she's waiting for the oven to heat). I'd be the size of a house.

I did a digital camera workshop once and the people there (photography shop) said that you should back up all your pictures onto disc and then back up the discs every year, because as you say Jean, they do deteriorate.

They also said that discs are more stable than memory sticks.

Hubby currently stores all his pics online at Picassa. I guess it's a good idea to have them online somewhere too in case something were to happen to one's computer or even home, heaven forbid!

I'm off for a couple of days, so don't eat too much folks. Catch you all on the weekend.

But jean you found Glass House Angel ...a most beautiful little yellow furry bell ...it has a delious honey smell too! so you already hit the jackpot there ...I think he is a great one to breed with! will yours open soon do you think? ...oh boy did we have a storm ... huge winds ...sidewards rain ...and spectacular lightening cracking right over our home last night. Of course that mean't the power going out 3 times causing plenty of problems all over the place ...
hi sammut ...how much rain did you cop? I have large polystyrene boxes around the place (I leave them to catch rain) and they filled to about 8 inches high! ...I place pots in them to have a drink from the bottom usually and they were drowning. I hope plenty of it fell into the right places. I think it is a wonderful way to make new gardening friends sammut ...swapping cuttings, I am sure they will be very happy with those babies of yours.
Hi to all the furry ones and their owners ...a big wave to everyone ...I have to go clean up some mess out there and pot cuttings and plants ... 33C so they say, the grass will grow a foot! I can actually see plants that have grown a bit overnight from the charged rain ...it is the best fertilizer of all.
jean look this is one of your Datura seeds flowering(thankyou ^_^) ...a bit knocked around but still cute ...thank you, this is the first time I have ever seen a real one ...after the storm last night you could smell it ...delicious!
Have a wonderful day everyone!

Thumbnail by

Hmmm ...I think you can open a blog or journal here and store your pictures (botanical at least in there) ...I must have a look at that but not today.
Helen look at the new leaves everywhere ...the parrots are really jumping!

Thumbnail by
townsville, Australia

@%#%!#^ i have just finished typing my morning post and poof it dissapeared before i could post it. So now i have to type the condensed version, lucky i am a clerk and can type 100 words per min. Good morning to everyone, it is a lovely day here today and i am in an exceptionally good mood yet again only 6 more working days to go and i have 10 days off yahoo.
Jean i only pinched 1 bottle honestly lol, i left some for the other visitors.
Gardengal i do hope hubby gives in and gives you your brick wall.
Chrissy your parrots are looking lovely, i hope mine do as well.
Mya i was given some desert rose seeds from my next door neighbours mum, they have just come up yippee, how big should i let them get before i transplant them individually, sorry i am a pain but i have never had these plants before and i am already hooked on them.
i had better go and do some work, i hope everyone has a wonderful day, here is a pic of the flower of my new desert rose babies.
have fun all
shell

Thumbnail by shelly61
Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Quoting:
how big should i let them get before i transplant them individually

Probably when they have about 6 little leaves,you just have to be gentle....also leave them in full sun now, the weather is gorgeous and only water in the morning,whilst it is still hot.......

Here's what mine looked like this morning.....

Thumbnail by MyaC
Coushatta, LA

Thanks Jean,i will.Hope you enjoy your day and stay safe.

Cody

Red Dogwood....

townsville, Australia

Mya what a beautiful colour, thanks for the help, i will move the pot to the sun and wait for them to grow a little.
Cody the flowers are lovely, stay safe and have a great day.
shell

melbourne, Australia

i love those desert roses too. have one tiny little plant and some seeds that i am about to plant. can't wait to see the colour of the flowers when they eventually flower. they are such cute plants.
the more i see of succulents and cacti the more i love. i especially love the hanging baskets full of trailing succulents and am beginning a little collection of succulents that will trail down.
good luck with your seeds shelly. i have been told to put the seeds in warm water (not hot) for 2-4 hours before planting. here is a site that might be interesting for you.
http://web.my8d.net/adeniumseeds/Seed%20Sowing.htm
shelly

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Shelly4 great site,I didn't realise about the jade stem producing white flowers....I leave mine in full sun right from the beginning and I throw them straight in the cacti mix with the fluffy wings still on the seeds....no fuss...they still germinate but if I were to be as fussy as them, you can betcha,I'd kill them all...........D-mail me your address and I can send you some of my established hybrids....

Hi Chrissy .
After hearing the storm wind and rain unbeivable only 3 mm. in my gage water did not cover the bottom of buckets - tank was toped up from the roof .- Early I only noticed garden near covered area was watered it gets all the run off from the roof in thate area .
The last cutting has green spot where a leave will form this must be the bengal tiger. They are all looking good . ------Sammut

Thumbnail by sammut
townsville, Australia

Shelly, i to did not know about the jade stems, or any thing else for that matter, i just shoved all mine in a pot, in a mixture of dirt and sand, with the furry bits still attached and they popped up. If i knew i was suppose to go to all that trouble i probably would have given it a miss lol. But i did learn a lot of interesting things about this plant. I will have to get some more colours as it is lovely.
thanks for the site, and have a wonderful afternoon
shell

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Shell,it's good to hear from you everyday.Well have a bless day and take care and stay safe.

Good night

Cody

This message was edited Mar 25, 2009 11:02 PM

Sydney, Australia

Hi all still here but v. busy with work.
Re. photo storage - I recently purchased an external hard drive, 500gb, for $250
(the 1tb - terrabyte - was only another $50 but I thought 500gb was enough.)
(my first Apple mac had a whopping 240mb of storage and I was told I would never run out of storage!)
Beats burning CD's.
Jean I would go a Vallota Lilly. The thing I love about Sussex is the bulbs and the surprise.
Like the attached - which I don't have a name for.
Stake - my son is going to Spain in September. He missed out on U2 tickets in Barcelona which would have made his trip even better, I will ask him to bring some wine home.
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman

Hi steve I think you may have a ...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/9903/
Beautiful!

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Budgieman. Get him to bring back some steak from the bull fights to go with the wine and We'll have a BBQ in the Tea Room. If he is allowed to bring back some wine don't forget the Albarino and Petit Manseng.
Brian

Brisbane, Australia

Good morning all..It's Friday..yippeee! But I am in a nice place so it's not as yippeee as usual! Lol!
Steve, I use an external hard drive too..and discs..and things I want to be really sure about, I store online..either an online site or I email them to myself with a throwaway hotmail address..I learnt to do that to record the evidence of the antics and corruption and bullying at a previous place of employment. I have had worn out USB's..they are not permanent.
I have an exciting box of goodies there from Oztion but they will have to wait till tomorrow for potting and playing with. Of our six recent chicks, we have two keepers..only allowed hens here. We knew that Macbeth was a rooster before he lost his head, literally. (Sorry if you're eating brekky)..he wasn't named Macbeth before that. I sat down half an hour ago to read emails and this site but have been car shuffling on the street for our neighbour...half an hour I could also have been gardening..am I allowed a little grr?
I was going through the bulb catalogues again yesterday..definitely putting an order in for some this year...only warm climate ones though. I love freesias but so do the turkeys..they are relentless getting to them..must taste like peanuts. I would have to grow them under a heavy mesh grille with holes too small for long beaks!!
Roosterlings are trying to crow! GTG! Have a gret day all. Cheers, Kat

barmera, Australia

Good morning everyone. Another beautiful cool morning. Still no rain. The garden doesn't look too bad. All the little plants are growing well. Bulbs sticking the leaves or flower heads through. My son and granddaughter are coming this weekend for my birthday. It will be great to see them again. More plants and I'll be able to give him some of mine as well. He will be very happy with the broms, thanks Leisa. I was very happy to receive a parcel from Mya yesterday with some yellow oleanders plus others and a Pachypodium which I have never seen before. He is a cute little fellow. Thank you once again Mya. Well had better get these boys to school. Be back later. Colleen

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.. Very chilly here this morning but looks like being a nice day as it warms a bit. I spent yesterday tidying up a lot of pots and repotting some Angels. I have lots of buds coming on my zygos so should be a really nice show when they all flower. I put up a hanging shelf to take the overflow of cuttings I had on the floor in there. I can barely move around in there now but I love it like that.
I am waiting impatiently for more Angels to flower . I have my first Nerine for the season out.
Hello Shelly (Q) I bet you are counting the days to your time off. I hope you enjoy it and get a lot done. Mya, how is your garden going now. It must look wonderful up there now.
Hello Cody, Enjoy your day. I do like your Dogwood picture, They are lovely trees.
Shelly (V) Like you, I think the hanging succulents look good. I have a few here among my other hanging plants, the Aporo cacti. The only trouble is , I can't hang them high enough and have to keep chopping the bottoms off.
Hello Sammut, you did well with your cuttings, they will certainly do well in your lovely yard.
Steve, I do like that red Spider Lily. I love bulbs and pop them everywhere. I like the surprise of them coming up after you forgot where they were.
Dmail me with your address for the Vallotta.
Brian the idea of a BarB Q sounds great. I'll go a large juicy steak anytime. Lots of onions too.
You can do the honors and we'll have it out on the patio. I'll make extra cakes.
Kat, I knew you were hiding out the back. . Have you been annoying that "lovely" fenceman again ?
You know, I haven't seen that snake of yours around lately, maybe he went back to your place.
Hello Colleen. Enjoy your weekend visitors and happy birthday.
Hello to Chrissy, Sue and everyone else out there. I am off out in the sun to talk to my plants.
Have a great day and enjoy the cakes.
Chocolate Mint Squares
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
townsville, Australia

Good morning everyone, ITS FRIDAY YIPPEEEE YAHOOOO YAY.
Colleen hope you have a wonderful birthday, enjoy your visitors that is one of the nice things about birthdays having family around. Jean please post a photo of your zygos when they are in bloom, they always look so pretty when they flower, i don't have any but my father in law loves them and his look lovely when they all flower at once. Helen your family must be all very excited by now, i hope the wedding is perfect can't wait for photos.
i am going to my sons on sunday for his pool christening bbq, they dug the hole for it in december and 4 months later it is finally finished, he is finally a happy boy, because of all the rain we have had, he had a dam in his yard for a couple of months, but now his hole full of muddy water is finally a pool. The biggest pain is he goes into hospital on wednesday for a full shoulder reconstruction, and he won't get to enjoy it for a while, he is now sulking over this, i personally reckon it will be too cold to go swimming, but he laughs at me and informs me he lived in nowra for the last 12 years and it does not get cold in townsville.
Shelly are your beer traps for the snails working at all.
well i had better go and do some work, will pop in later
have a great day everyone
shell

melbourne, Australia

shelly - all the beer is gone but there are a lot of slugs etc in the bottom of the container. i will have to have a drink tonight and add some more to the container. might even try wine since i have a lot more wine than beer - wonder if that would work as well? i did find some snail bates that are ok for pets and wildlife so i threw a few around the agapanthus clumps that i have. they seem to come out of there when it rains so it must be where they all live. i have noticed that i have more seedlings popping up and now getting eaten so i must have got a few of them.

mya/shelly - i read that desert rose site and thought = oh this is too hard. i will do as you say mya and throw them in a pot and see how they go. i did soak them overnight and will see if that makes a difference. will do one pot with soaked seeds and one with not soaked seeds and see if there is a difference. i have dmailed you mya.

shelly

barmera, Australia

Hi again everyone. It's not my birthday til Tuesday. Sammut's is on Monday. Thanks for the wishes

Wow sammut and colleen ...the birthday gals!
Happy Birthday To You!!!!!! (just sending it ahead in case you are busy!) i hope it will be spectacular!!!!!
Hopefully you will get lots of leafy pressies ^_^
OK it's Friday again already ...
so it's off to a wonderful weekend! ...I must confess to really being over these storms! while I really appreciate the water ...gosh it has knocked the garden around ...look at my boge almost all the bracts are gone ...(who needs Autumn leaves huh?)

Thumbnail by

I hear wedding bells ringing ...awe I hope it will be romantic and very special for the young ones ...may their union be blessed with all the wonderful gifts of life ...love ...understanding ...patience ...peace and humour ...last but not least, the happy sound of the children's laughter.
Kat keep those turkeys at home ...no better yet (do they fly off somewhere for winter?) send them off on an overseas trip somewhere. How do you stand it?.
Anyone see American Idol last night ...Adam sang "tracks of my tears" outstanding ...I love Motown! catch it on the replay over the weekend if you can ...this boy is brilliant!
Enjoy your Friday/ Weekend

Thumbnail by
townsville, Australia

Shelly i was told it was the yeast in the beer that those pesky little snails cannot resist, i don't think that wine has yeast, although i really would not have a clue, i just drink it, well that is if Bryan can keep the stocks up lol. Chrissy i hope your storms will come to an end soon, i don't mind a little rain but i have never liked storms, i must admit they have bothered me since i was a kid, but then i am a sook.
shell

Coushatta, LA

Thanks Jean,i think they are neat too.Well have a bless day and enjoy.Take care and stay safe.

Cody

Coushatta, LA

Good night everyone!!!have a bless day and take care and stay safe.

Cody

Afternoon to all ,
Week end again been told no time for shopping BOO HOO a special week end is planned but not telling me whate it is , thanks for the pre birthday wishes chrissy .
Colleen looks like you and I are having a great birthday mine will be a 3 dayer and yours a 4 dayer
I have family thate only have week ends free because of work looks like more than one cake its a lot of candles I will have to blow out . ----------Sammut

melbourne, Australia

happy birthday sammut. hope your weekend is very enjoyable. next weekend you can go shopping and spend double!
shellyxx

Hi Shelly ,
I am slow I did not think about double spending thanks.
At last I am all up to date with whates going on every where and all the beautiful pics. --------Sammut

barmera, Australia

Isn't it good that I don't drink with 4 days to celebrate. Hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family too Sammut. Colleen

townsville, Australia

I hope everyone has a great weekend, i won't forget, but just in case i do as anything is possible on a monday (yuk) have a great birthday Colleen and Sammut, i do hope you both get all your birthday wishes. Helen enjoy this wedding, i know i loved it when my son got married, one of the major highlights of my life, oops sorry another girly moment lol.
It is almost knock off time and i am HAPPY i love the weekends.
Well have to get my priorities in order here cant stop and chat, have to pack up and go home.
have a great weekend one and all, stay safe and happy
shell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.