Mid-Atlantic Snowstorm

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Love these pics....agree re the red bow and those eyes on that cute GSD pup - ahhhhhh

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

We had the same amount of snow as Chantell did - and funnily enough I have the same wooded view she has - it was a selling point for the townhouse!

My first Roufus sided Towhee

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Mourning Dove

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Mrs. Woody

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Mr. Woody

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Carolina Chickadee

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Junco, Mrs. Cardinal & Sparrow

I can sit for hrs at our kitchen table - just looking at the birds - Thor normally joins me and I just know what he is thinking!

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Great photo, Bec....I love sitting at your table watchin' the critters as well

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Birds were packing my feeder today too. First sight of the Redbellied woodpecker for this year. A Downy, Chickadees, cardinals, juncos, house finches. Mockingbird. Dove, no robins today!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Thank you all so much for posting your snow pictures, I really am enjoying them! It is so nice to be on the other side for a change.

Polly your Bichon picture really got me laughing, looks like the yetti's pet, the abominable snow dog.
At least you can find my 2.

Chantell your backyard view is wonderfull, you have been holding out on us.

Just some very tiny, blink and you missed it snow today, but very cold. I guess mother nature forgot to pay the heating bill.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Here's my backyard today....

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly

Front of the house...from the street.

Thumbnail by Foxnfirefly

Missingrosie-my town is, well, small and convenient, but not a tourist lure. It is close to D.C., which has a whole lot of attractions. We are close to Wolf Trap, a performing arts theater and grounds, which has outdoor concerts and events in the summer. Take a bus to D.C., to see the museums or the Zoo. The Zoo is wonderful to walk around during the warm months The National Arboretum is also in D.C. and a must-see if you are a gardener.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh I know Wolf Trap - I went to see the Gypsy Kings there. Very good time. You are right however, a very nice town but not tourist fare. I bet if I had more time I could have dug up some little shops. I didn't realize I was in Falls Church (I am sure THEN I knew..but the old mind goes every now and again if more than a year passes!!!!! I had a great time at that concert - I love the Gypsy Kings. I can clean the entire house to a few CDs.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I am SOOO bad about taking pictures but I'm enjoying all of yours! We only got about 3" here but enough to dig out the snow shovel for the first time this winter. I love all your photos but have to say it's a toss up for my favorite , Chloe the snow angel or flowerjen's pup at the door, love it! LOL

Chantell, I don't know how you do it - two granddaughters and FOUR dogs!!! Yikes, and to think I'm worrying about getting a second pup :)

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

!!! DEBBIE !!! *waving* How ARE you?!?!? I've missed you!!! LOL Ahhh the grandkids are my own children therefore I pawn them back on to their mother when I'm "done" - the dogs well...God love them - except Makwa they're 5 and up so beyond the puppy insanity

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Y'all,

LOVE all the snow pictures, adorable grandbabies, cute dogs, and super close-ups of birds! It is really fun to see the differences in precipitation over the area.

Here are a couple of shots from my part of the world. This one was taken out a side window on Monday morning - the blurriness at the bottom is the frost on the storm window. Even with the wind, the snow really stayed in the trees for a long time.

Barb

Thumbnail by DaylilyDiva219

I forgot to add, I think we got between 4-6 inches here - due to the high winds, it varied in spots all over the yard.

This is a zoom shot of one of the pair of local wrens we have - they like to perch on the tip of the sundial, and flip from side to side - hard to get a picture of them when they're not moving!

And this is another zoom shot, of the pair at the suet feeder, during the storm. They were taking advantage of the woodpeckers' absence! ;-> The snow on the baffle also helps them not slide off, so they can snack on the suet droppings left by other birds.

While the roads were cleared fairly quickly, we still have quite a bit of snow on the ground, even in areas that get full sun.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

WOW! We all seem to be in the same category--snow wise.....

Here's a shot out my front door Monday morning....I sure was glad to be staying home!
This is looking to the right of my front door......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And, this is looking to the left.....before all the salt and plows came and made a mess.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

My biggest frustration was all the Black Birds devouring every seed in my bird-feeders that were meant for the "little folks".....They are like vacuums!!!!

I spent lots of time standing by my big LR window and banging on it to make the "Blackies" scoot. Of course--they only scooted to the trees in my back yard. as soon as I moved away from the windows--they were back...
I kept this up until I got tired of it! And the Blackbirds just sat in the trees and waited until my face disappeared from the big window.....NOT a fun "game".....!!!
As soon as I shooshed them away--al the small birds would come right back tot he feeders and eat their fill. Then--they would all scoot when the "nasties" came back.....etc..etc...etc...

In the end--"THEY" won out and emptied about 8lbs. of expensive bird seed from all my feeders. In just half a day!!!!! I hate them! They come in hordes!! Like a black cloud descending on my property!

Here's the "little ones" reclaiming the feeder for just a few minutes.....

edited to say--Those tubes were completely full this morning!!!!! and completely empty when they got done!!!! Bandidts! That's what they are!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 10:28 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And the patient ones waiting their turn.....as this cardinal--on my Porch Swing......

I hate to spend all this $$$ for good bird seed to just have the Black-Birds devour it in a couple of hours!!!! I know they have to eat too--but NOT all of MY seed!!!!!...:o(((

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gita - frustrating those birds. I feel the same way about the squirrels and the deer.

But ah....you did such a good deed on that bitterly cold and snowy day........

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I sure am loving all these pics. We didn't get nearly enough (3-4") snow but then again it was plenty. LOL Sure is beautiful but I'm beginning to see muddy messes outside (and inside too). I hear this weekend is gonna be spring like with warm temps again, ahhh...another typical March huh?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

All the bulbs are gonna be lovin it...nothin' better then snow to naturally water everything...then again...if this melts quickly - we might have a bog

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita, you can wrap some chicken wire around the feeders so only the little ones can get to the perches.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Good suggestion, flowerjen!

I just filled my big feeder up again. Those little birds were waiting in the nearby bushes as i did so!
I think I might have some ch-wire in the shed.....

Gita

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

missingrosie - I meant to tell you if you're looking for an Old Town type of atmosphere - Old Town Manassas has that as well as Old Town Fredericksburg - both within an hour or so of DC

Rhyming Riddle

I come more softy than a bird,
And lovely as a flower;
I sometimes last from year to year
And sometimes but an hour.
I stop the swiftest railroad train
Or break the stoutest tree.
And yet I am afraid of fire
And children play with me.

Mary Austin

Thanks Chantell - I am going to put both on my list of places to explore. Just got to get my Marriott points up a little so no paying for hotel.

I haven't paid for a hotel in years --- about the only 'bargain' left!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

sally - I'm stumped...was gonna say snow...but I don't know that it lasts from year to year...

well, chantell----I guess she was thinking of the top of Everest......YES
by the way I just read Into Thin Air about a tragedy with Everest expeditions in '96- fascinating, gripping...cold.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I've seen people skiing on Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) on the fourth of July - it might stay all summer some years, I don't know.

Thumbnail by claypa

Hi
It can last from Dec 31 to Jan 2 - maybe that is they year to year.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ohhhh...I didn't think about that...smart!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

missingrosie, I've never actually spent any time there exploring, but I was in Middleburg, VA last weekend and it's a lovely little town with an "Old Town" atmosphere. Also drove through Upperville, about 10 min to the west on Route 50 and would love to go back and explore - a quaint little town that makes you feel like you've gone back in time driving through "its setting still has the charm of an earlier time, unspoiled by the encroaching urban sprawl" http://www.daytrippingmetro.com/upperville.htm

Thumbnail by rcn48

Thanks ! I am getting some great suggestions...maybe it should be another thread.... I am tired of relying on Blue Ridge Magazine and I don't trust Southern Living...the spread they did on Hillsborough was 'accurate' but the photos and what was said made it seem like a town you'd plan your vacation around and it is NOT it is a day trip for sure and you can make a vacation around Chapel Hill and Raleigh etc etc., but definitely I would not want it to be Hillsborough at the center without knowing the rest.

That house in the photo ....looks exactly (exactly) like a house in Old Salem (Moravian Village) (what cookies...what cinnamon buns........) WHY am I gluten sensitive.... what did I dooooooooo ...(oh woe is me....) (

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Well, heck, what am I thinking - Lexington is about as "Old Town" and quaint as you can get! LOL http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/ There's not much for shopping but there are some unique little shops. Lots of history here and if you ever decide to make the trip, the carriage ride through town is a must! http://www.lexingtonvirginia.com/attractionsb.asp?id=7

I was trying to think of areas closer to where I actually live, but another option I'd recommend would be Staunton, VA. We pass through there on a regular basis, most recently Feb 28-March 1. I highly recommend catching a play at the American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Playhouse downtown, and staying at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel right next door. It can be pricey, but there are definitely deals to be had - we snagged a room for $90 (including tax). They also offer breakfast packages, and play ticket packages.

http://www.americanshakespearecenter.com/

http://www.stonewalljacksonhotel.com/hotel.html

Cute shopping right downtown, and a number of nice restaurants - The Dining Room is where we've eaten most recently for dinner, Mill Street Grill is also good. We had a nice lunch before our Saturday matinee of "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at a little place called "Cranberry's Grocery and Eatery", a combination of herbal and organic shopping, plus a small cafe area. It was just around the block from the hotel and theater.

http://www.thediningroomstaunton.com/

http://www.gocranberrys.com/index.php

Then afterwards!

There's a winery not too far away - about 20 minutes tops, in Fishersville: Barren Ridge Vineyards. We discovered it in an earlier trip in January, and returned again in February to taste and sip a bit by the beautiful fireplace, between the matinee and our dinner reservations. It also has a lovely vineyard view and the patio looks like it would be a splendid place to enjoy a few hours on a spring or summer day.

http://www.barrenridgevineyards.com/

And finally... Andre Viette's Nursery is just minutes away from the winery, and again, a mere 20 minutes or so from downtown Staunton. He's a legendary daylily hybridizer, and has a huge spread in the rolling hills outside of town. He doesn't just sell daylilies, though, it's a regular nursery. The annual Daylily & Wine Festival in mid-July is worth a trip.

http://www.viette.com/v.php?pg=2

Other info: Staunton is the home of Mary Baldwin College, Woodrow Wilson's birthplace and also the home of the Statler Brothers. I think there is even a museum for them. ;-)

The Frontier Culture Museum just outside of town (right off of Exit 222) is really nice, requires walking, but a great place to stroll through time on a nice day.

http://www.frontiermuseum.org/

If you have more time, Charlottesville is not far away via 64 East, with lots more history, scenery, dining, and of course, wineries!

Now all you'll need is time to take all these trips we've planned for you! LOL!

Barb

PS: Photo is of the giant watering can by the RR overpass leaving downtown Staunton. There are 2 giant pots on the other side. I'm sure there's a story behind them, but I don't know it. I just know I like to see them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.