Follow the 2009 Hummingbird Migration!!

Marlton, NJ

Here is the map for the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds!

http://hummingbirds.net/map.html

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Although there are not any on the map right now they should be starting anytime.

Here is the one for Rufous Hummingbirds.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_rufous_spring2009.html

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Waiting patiently for the first RT to show up...well...sort of patiently! Thanks for the links Pelle...let the fun begin!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks Pelle, my Rufous' are due here within a few weeks and I plan on reporting the sighting!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine are due the first few days of March if they stay on course and not get side tracked...

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Just three more weeks for me. I can't wait to see this guy again.

Thumbnail by f_chisolm
Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Time to stock up on sugar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marlton, NJ

Hey as long as we have this here lets do the Orioles too!

Baltimore and Bullock's Orioles

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/current_spring.html?layers=oriole_sighted

I can't wait to see them too!

Thumbnail by pelletory
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Our first Oriole showed up on 4/18 and it was an Orchard...the Baltimore's showed up shortly after that. The way things are going I bet they show up a lot earlier this year! I am going to start stocking up on grape jelly!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Don't forget the second map for Ruby-throated hummingbirds on Journey north.
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring2009.html

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Yeah for this sticky!!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just put my feeder out, well at least the first one. Got my peepers on alert.

Marlton, NJ

Hi Garden, I notice there is a Baltimore Oriole in Fla. already.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well its not at my house. ;-O Even my BIL has oranges in the tops of his trees. Nothing so far

I did see a robin finally yesterday, after this winter, that was exciting enough.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the Oriole map Mrs. Ed, last year my first Rufous and Oriole both showed up at our feeders on the same day-March 22.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just made a pretty potent batch of sugar water. Im figuring they have got to be very hungry.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will be waiting for all the photos!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, the feeder is just on the other side of the window here where I sit. I cant figure out why they are not here yet. Its been a whole hour ;-o

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Ok, I just put one of my feeders out, too. I'm thinking real seriously about finding some red Christmas ribbon although my red car may be enough red.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will be tracking the hummers all the way. Don't get here til early May. Thanks for the links and thread ^_^

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

The real problem is deciding when to take the finch feeders down and replacing them with hummer feeders. Should I put up more hooks? Will four feeders be enough or should I get more? Decisions, decisions!!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I havent had a yellow finch yet either. Im not sure which will come first. I only have three hooks on my feeder pole so I had to just get a seperate shperads hook for the hummer food. I think they will be much happier with this set up anyway

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I replace my finch feeder with a hummingbird feeder when the time comes... but I leave up a window feeder for the finches. If they want easy eats, they have to be brave little birdies!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My finches are very shy of the other birds in my garden so must have their feeder way away in the big mayday. Funny cuz they are quite people friendly.

Sarasota, FL

thanks pelletory

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Pelle, thanks so much for posting the link to the hummers' migration and facts. It gave me a most enjoyable time reading it. I was thinking the other day that it was about time for me to clean the feeders as I usually see them around here anwhere between the 1st to 3rd week of March. Lee

Marlton, NJ

****FIRST HUMMINGBIRD REPORTED*****!!!!!!!!!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

A long way to my feeder from there. Fun that it has begun.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Pelle, if you've seen one already, I really should get a move on and get my feeders and nectar made. Congrats on the sighting. Lee

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

She didnt see it, it was reported in TX., so you REALLY should get ready. Check the link above to see where the first one showed up.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Louisiana. funny how lonely that one dot looks.

Marlton, NJ

I was just on another website and they said this woman who has it is a long time hummingbirder.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks gardenglory and pelle, I almost had palpitations!!! After I responded to the thread, I went and got my feeders out and cleaned them so at least I won't have to run around in such a hurry when they arrive here. Lee

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Shoot, I have mine out...they are really close to you already. I dont think you wasted any time.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Thanks GG, Last year they snuck up on me but this year I'm prepared. Lee

I put out a hummingbird feeder today. Temps are near 80° and flock after flock of Sandhill Cranes have flown north. It is early but who knows I might see one. i need to get an Oriole feeder because the hummingbird feeder I just put up doesn't have any perches. Last year they shared but they might be happier with their own.
can't wait!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Same here about the sneaking up last year. For someone who is allergic to doing dishes, I broke the record in getting that fedder cleaned out and filled with syrup. You just feel so bad that they have counted on you, and come back, and your not ready. Not this year!!! If they just give me another chance.

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

I talked with my department manager today about the aproaching season and we doubled the size on the modular for hummingbird supplies. So we are ready. The sales of feeders and commercial nector has really picked up in the past week. The new small red glass feeder has been selling real well. The red wineglass feeder is also selling well. Even the antique coke bottle feeder has been doing ok. I still think that the cheap 32 oz. feeder works better than the ones that cost more.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I'm with you Frank..I like the the cheapo 32 oz feeders the best. I wanted to get something special for the little Hummers today so I bought 3 bell shaped ant guards! Geez...somebody stop me!!

Florence, MS(Zone 8b)

Do you think they work better than the moats?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.