Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 2

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Even telephone lines become supports for vines like this red passiflora DH & I saw yesterday.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! That's growing like Kudzu! Beautiful!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love that shot, Sue. I could do that across the back or the side of my property. Very interesting. Thanks.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Telephone company might not approve.

Actually I meant I'd string up some strong wire and create a barrier between our gardens and at least one neighbor.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm sure you have no telephone lines in your lovely area, do you? I'd love to grow vines on the power lines, just to get back at those money grubbers.

Yes, we do. Not on our side of the street but we have them.

This is looking across the street from our front steps.

Thumbnail by pirl
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm surprised. Is there some reason they can't run them underground in your area?

Newer communities on Long Island do have them underground but we've heard their reply is that it would be too expensive. Ha! As if that matters to them! When they need more money they simply raise the rates.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Our development was built in the 80's and power is underground,it doesnt save us from loss of power when someone pulls the plug somewhere else in the grid.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

That is very pretty but I would have been out there with my clippers. I drive by a spot along the road everyday where a honeysuckle has climbed up a cedar tree and is growing across the phone lines. I would love to get out and cut it back at the base. I worry about the damage it is doing to that tree and know that only a few clips would take care of it for several years to come.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Here is a pic. of Yellow Lady Banks rose on an arbor intertwined with variegated Potato vine. Bad photo, as usual, but it grows up into the tree above it and spills down.

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Another equally bad picture !

Thumbnail by JasperDale
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

close up...there really IS an arbor underneath this. lol

Thumbnail by JasperDale

Zounds! That's a lot of roses and tremendous growth! Beautiful.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Enjoyed the above posts! Seems most vines will pretty much climb just about anything!

JasperDale, Wow, Your Ladybanks is huge! .. I try to keep mine under control by constantly cutting it back after it flowers, but, It's not easy! They sure grow fast! I made the mistake of putting mine (2 of them) on a 'small' arbor, It's working out so far but don't know how long it will last! Heres a closeup of it blooming ..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

It tends to always try and wrap around a particular garden statue and I usually let it when it's in bloom because it looks so pretty with the color of the staute..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Very pretty, I have been hitting a few local building shows and the Phila. Flower Shows. I've collected several pics of arbors. I'll start with these, not near as pretty as they would be with something growing on them but you might get some building ideas.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Close up of the top detail.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one will be similar to the one we want to build this spring.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 10:24 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Iris: It's actually not big at all...when it isn't blooming, you wouldn't even know it's there, as the potato vine obscures it. I let the LB grow up through it and out over the top and into the tree. Then when it's done blooming, I cut all that off. It resprouts again about mid fall.

Zuzu has an enormous one. Maybe she'll see this and post a pic.

Holly: Great arbor with the seats. I've always wanted one like that but don't have the room. I really like the top details.
Me thinks you should buy it !

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one is really beautiful, more work than we want to invest in the project.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Top detail.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Just out of curiosity, what's the price tag on one of those ?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

HollyAnnS, Like the arbors, Really like the last one, If you do buld one like it, think you will love it! I had one almost just like that back north and it was super strong, Could support pretty much anything!! I had 3 westerias, 2 trumpets and two grapevines on the one I had in the North, It was 'fully loaded" and had no problem supporting the weight!

JasperDale, It looked big to me in the photos ( Maybe it was the way the photo was taken) :) How low do you cut yours when you cut it back? and how big does your potatoe vine get? ..I never grew one and I'm really curious!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ooops, You had posted while I was typing, Love that last one too!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is from the Phila. Flower Show. A little hard to see but the posts are wider at the bottom and narrow as they go up. It's a nice detail.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

The potato vine grows really fast. If it gets too thick, I just shear it back and it fills in in no time.

I just cut the long shoots of the LB back to where they emerge from out of the potato vine. The potato vine in the photo is in full sun. I have another one in a northern location that never gets full sun and it does just fine...but it doesn't get anywhere near as thick as the other one...which is fine for where it is.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I think all the fancy ones are just beautifull, But, I've learned to love the 'plain rustic/worn' looking arbors, They just seem to have that charisma to them instead of 'new' and I have always known most vines to take over the arbors they are on unless you put effort into keeping them in tac, Or use a smaller growing variety of certain types of climbers ( except for roses) so I have found that the vines pretty much cover most of the nice wood/art work that has been put into a lot of arbors, But, all have different opinions and the fancys are beautifull no matter what!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

JasperDale, I feel stupid saying this, But, I am having a hard time distinquishing the potatoe vine in your photo ( I'm not really familiar with potatoe vine so thats part of the problem) How big does it get? Do you start it from seed??

HollyAnnS, Now I really love that last one... More rustic looking!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

JasperDale, I grow moonflower vine every year from seed and they get huge by the end of the season, But, Would really like to try my luck at potatoe vine as I've heard the leaves are quite pretty!

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 10:56 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry I didn't get prices. Just stealing ideas as we will build ours. I will stain mine to match the existing decks and fences. I like those curved cuts on the board ends. and the curved supports attached to the posts. Mine will go over part of the driveway so it needs to be pretty wide. I have an old Wisteria that needs something taller to grow on. This one is a bit different.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These panels are very pretty, too. They could be easily adapted to any size.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Iris: Go to the PlantFiles and type in Solanum. The first one shown is the variegated potato vine. You'll get a good idea from the pic.
The foliage has a very definite gold glow to it and the white flowers look nice with it.

There's also a solid green variety with lavender flowers, but I just like the variegated one better.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Talk about Rustic. This one is just larger branches with a couple of potted grapes. Don't have a better picture but it really did look nice.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This one also had a different type of support post. It has the 4 smaller supports with a collar around them.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

HollyAnnS, Now, I do.. Just love those panels!! Great for all different types of manageble vines!! And that panel/lattice look is sooo nice! That last one is definately rustic looking!! lol!

JasperDale, Thanks so much for the info, I'll have to check that out!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Very nice! Like the collars!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the last of my trellis/arbor pics.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I know many of you like me put lights on your arbors and I really liked this small light detail on this porch. Instead of stringing them across they gathered them up in the corner and let them creep partway across much like a vine would.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.