Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 2

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

very nice! Good photos of the arbors! Thanks for sharring and please share a photo of the one you decide to build when its done!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I like the lights going straight across better, but, It's nice that way too! ...Nice stained glass? In the photo!

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Iris, that's a great pic of your LB flowers. JD, I have the WORST time trying to get photos of our LB, it just doesn't show up well. I tried growing a native clematis through it, but it didn't work, now I'm having to pull it all out. What a pain. It's just about in full bloom now, so you can see it next week.

Great arbors, everyone. We are planning one, too, but it's way down on the 'to do' list.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

It's probably the hardest thing i have to take good photos of. The blooms blend in too much with the vine it's planted with, and if I try to get a good shot, I have to stand under it and aim the camera at the sky...and that doesn't work either.

The fact that I'm an abyssmal photographer doesn't help matters any, either ! LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful report Holly
I really liked the curved top on the trellis you are not considering.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

ge, I did too, and Ric and my guys certainly have the talent to build it. But it would be very labor intensive and I have a lot of other projects I want done this summer. Don't want him expending all his energy on just one. LOL

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great photos, Holly. I copied them and will send them to my SIL for his next project.

Iris - here's a close up of the plain Sweet Potato Vine. They now come in several varieties - Blackie, Ace of Spades, Variegated (pink/green/white), and this one.

Thumbnail by pirl
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

KaperC, Thanks!
Holly, I like the 'more projects' idea lol!
Pirl, Thanks! Great photo! I did look it up and your photo is pretty good compared to some of the others I have seen, Seems a lot of different bugs like this vine and people say they end up with a lot of holes in there leaves, Don't like that idea.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Iris, There is always another project. LOL This summer's list, we will be starting with the easiest projects and working thru to the biggest. Trellis over driveway, expand patio and flower beds around gazebo, level brick and replace RRties in old raised brick and RRtie patio and start greenhouse. Don't know how many we will get done the first 2 for sure, I expect the old patio should get done, it was the last project on last summers list. The footer for the GH should get done when we do the patio work. If we could get the walls and roof up on the GH I would be over the moon.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

HollyAnnS, Thats for sure!! Projects never end! Sounds like you got a lot planned, But, I got a feeling your gooing to get most ( If not all) of it done this year! :) ... Look forward to photos when you do!!

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

Holly Ann,
thx for the flower show pics.

I think they copied by giant grape vine trellis idea ;-0 lol!
Karen

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Just saw this trellis pic on another forum and found it particularly beautiful:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6255466

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhhh yes its a beauty.

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

I like that too!

Beautiful.

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Found this one on the Hypertufa and Concrete forum, I am in major lust! Make sure to click the link for the progress shots, even the flagstone floor is a piece of work!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5647651

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OMG how did I miss that.
Really fantastic

I can't imagine the work involved even after seeing the photos.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Both of those arbors are beautiful. Got to go and read about the concrete one. that thing is amazing.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks like a lot of rebar for reinforcement and shaving and sanding while damp.
Gawd-bless-em

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Goodness, I have sculpted a lot of things, and been covered from head to toe in clay a time or two, but sculpting in concrete isn't something I would trust myself doing. I would become part of the arbor, enshrined in concrete. It is gorgeous, though. Maybe I could lay the stone. Nah, too heavy.

Great pictures, all of you. I love this thread.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Wonderful pics and ideas. Have to chime in with a pic of one of the arbors my DH built for our fenced in, deer-resistant garden. I've enjoyed them so much.

Thumbnail by cedar18
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh that is beautiful! Love how you incorporated the metal piece, gives it a very artistic touch.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you CalifSue. That metal piece is the back of a commonly-available garden bench. The bench belonged to a late friend and the wooden parts had rotted. It has a hummingbird/flower design. So DH incorporated it into the gate/arbor as a memorial. It was a great recycling thing as well as a sentimental gesture, I think. He even curved the top of the gate to match the curve in the metal (look closely and you can see the holes where the bolts were fastening the metal to wood bench parts).

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I have been lurking for quite awhile and am really enjoying this thread. I have to comment cedar18 on that beautiful arbor and the story behind it..both are beautiful.

Cedar18 - that is beautiful! I told my DH about it and have to get him in here to see it. I love the sentiment and the curve, too.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks dellrose and pirl. I'm glad you were touched by it. The late friend was my BF's husband and it means a lot to her that this little part of her and husband's life and garden was preserved. Just think how many of those metal bench-backs end up in landfills! Another idea was to mount it on pieces of rebar legs and use it in the garden as a plant support for low vines or blowsy perennials like asters ( a sort of 'iron headboard' look).

Great ideas. If I ever see one heading towards the dump I'll grab it. I do love all kinds of cast iron and a lot of wrought iron as well.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Cedar...I love that idea of adding legs to it also. I have to start looking around for more stuff to make some trellis, this thread has given me so many ideas.

Thanks for all of them.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Cedar, that is a lovely idea and a great piece of work by your DH, too.

I think it's my very favorite garden gate ever.

DH did come in when I had the picture ready to show him and he, too, was impressed.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh that is soooo lovely! Both the design and sentiment are wonderful. I really like the way the curving lines of the metal soften the entire look.

Reminds me of the old carpenter's theory:

The square for duty: the curve for beauty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought these a month ago. The sculptor just delivered them.
I'm psyched. They will go into the garden in May. They are made of clay.The tallest is 38 inches and the short one is 24inches

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

pirl, we had never heard that saying, but it's great.

ge, wow. Those are gorgeous. I'm sure they will be a wonderful artistic element in your garden.

Learned it from an old craftsman.

Gorgeous, ge! I'm sure you'll always enjoy them.

Spring fever is here but the weather isn't cooperating. I bought five more trellises (four short, 1 taller with brass bells, no less) yesterday.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm going nuts too, and the transplanting cant start itl the hostas show up. might be another three weeks.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

ge- I can only imagine how it would be if I were to transplant to a colder zone. Our hostas are couple of inches tall and I'm outside dividing and moving perennials. July and Aug. are hot and humid here, but I do love the early spring and long fall.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

right on

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.